Windows 10: Start Menu, taskbar broke Build 10586

Discus and support Start Menu, taskbar broke Build 10586 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Today I setup a brand new computer. I pinned a folder and program icon to the start menu,. I also pinned the same program to the task bar. Once I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vs2015sv, Mar 22, 2016.

1. vs2015sv Win User

Start Menu, taskbar broke Build 10586

Today I setup a brand new computer. I pinned a folder and program icon to the start menu,. I also pinned the same program to the task bar.
    Once I rebooted the machine, the start menu, task bar and computer in general are locked up.

Nothing is working to get the PC to respond except powering off and back on.

When I do this, sometimes the computer functions correctly, but the majority of the time.. the computer is non-responsive.
    I can tell when the computer is going to be non-responsive because it takes longer to initially sign into the local account, and once it does log in, The task bar is missing Edge and File Explorer icons.

Windows 10.0.10586 Build 10586

All windows updates have been ran up until today 3/23/16.

Please advice is possible!

note: If I log out of the user that is locked up (power off and back on the computer), and log into another account.. the computer responds and works fine. I am then able to log into the other user that was locked up and that works for the time being.

:)

vs2015sv, Mar 22, 2016

2. Have windows 10 build 10586 and my start icon will not bring up the original menu list anymore.

* Original title: start icon

have windows 10 build 10586 and my start icon will not bring up the original menu list anymore, settings is missing and a few other ones are too, ? and the taskbar will not hide, and yes the hide taskbar check box in property's IS checked . any way to
    bring back the original menu list as before and whats up with the taskbar not hiding ? thank you

skyrover1961, Mar 22, 2016
  3. Taskbar, start menu and search and other icons on taskbar not working right

Hello David,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Taskbar and programs on it and Start menu not working. We will certainly help you.

We would like to inform you that the latest build of Windows 10 is build 10586 version 1151.

And to troubleshoot your issue, we suggest you to follow the steps from the below link and check if it helps:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, one test and resolution that is suggested for this quite common situation is exactly what you have done- create another user account.

Since you have just installed Win 10, frankly the easiest option would be to delete the original user, if there's no reason why not.

Feel free to search this forum for the many threads on
    Start menu taskbar
    Start menu not responding
    Taskbar not responding
    etc

Here are a few:
    Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 Start Menu stop working - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Mar 22, 2016
  5. vs2015sv Win User
    This is happening on a "new" user we created.

vs2015sv, Mar 22, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks for clarifying- I read your last para as saying the new account was ok.. but you mean logging out and logging in to the other solves the problem temporarily.

Well, given it's a new install, your options would appear to be
    - reinstall
    - try SFC /Scannow from an admin level command prompt
    (e.g. Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)....)
    - uninstall any Windows updates
    What is your exact build number?
    Windows key + R, type
    Winver

and post the build number. (Mine's 10586.164).

Did you elect to have updates applied when you installed Windows?

It's not worth trying further repairs like an in-place upgrade install as that's almost a full re-install.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu, taskbar broke Build 10586 - Similar Threads - Start Menu taskbar

2. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  3. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  4. Taskbar and Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar and Start menu: Hello Microsoft Community! I want a problem solve to the taskber, the problem is that I want to know what is the main thing to what apps are pinned to the task bar and how are they organized, I want the same thing in the start menu, I have a 21H1 version of windows 10....
  5. Start menu broke... fix?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu broke... fix?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ShitPostMan4323 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fh7bca/start_menu_broke_fix/
  6. Windows 10 (Nov '15 build 10586) - Start menu app ads/suggestions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 (Nov '15 build 10586) - Start menu app ads/suggestions: With the new 10586 build something has changed where app suggestions remain in the Start Menu even after permanently removing the Windows store/Metro apps via DISM. Besides taking the easy route and changing this setting in the Settings app (which, if used, will not...
  7. Update to Build 10586

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update to Build 10586: I currently have Windows 10 (Build 10240). For some reason when I attempt to update my system it says that no updates are available. Does anyone know why I can't update to Build 10586? The latest Windows Defender updates install, but not the latest build. 43204
  8. Issues with Activation on Build 10586

Issues with Activation on Build 10586: Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I have been upgrading some machines within my workplace onto windows 10. Using build 10240 I had to set the netsh winhttp proxy - to use our proxy server in order to activate windows. This worked flawlessly and would activate straight...
  9. Build 10586

Build 10586: Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts. Upon restart it does not...
  10. Build 10586 broke RDP Wrapper

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Build 10586 broke RDP Wrapper: I was using RDP Wrapper: RDP Wrapper Library by StasM Corp. binarymaster/rdpwrap · GitHub It allows a Remote Desktop Protocol session to log in as a separate user independent of the user logged in locally. Worked perfect until the 10586 update. Now it is "not supported"...