Windows 10: Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update

Discus and support Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After my latest Win 10 update, my Start Menu and Taskbar Icons don't respond anymore. When I tried to fix it using methods I found online, I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ZhiyuLiu1, Jan 14, 2019.

1. ZhiyuLiu1 Win User

Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update

After my latest Win 10 update, my Start Menu and Taskbar Icons don't respond anymore. When I tried to fix it using methods I found online, I noticed several things do not function as well.

1) I cannot run PowerShell (Admin). If I run it, the PC will freeze and only show my mouse moving. I can run PowerShell though.

2) The system will also freeze if I try to create a new account in the Control Panel.

3) Win+X works, but the Task Manager, Setting and Search function do no respond. I cannot start Task Manager using other approaches as well.

I suspect it is because system apps such as ShellExperienceHost.exe, SearchUI.exe are not running. But I don't know how to fix this. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

:)

ZhiyuLiu1, Jan 14, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. Scout83 Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu not working

I am having problems with my Windows 10 start Menu and taskbar. I have read the like posts on this site and run the following tests:

Scannow,

RestoreHealth, &

PowerShell - There were a lot of red text messages throughout this test and many files that did not show 100% completed status. Is that normal?

I was unable to do the step of toggling the Start Screen as the Notifications icon on the taskbar is not working.

I've run each of these tests separately and have restarted my computer after each test. However there is still no change in my start menu or taskbar.

Any other suggestions?

Scout83, Jan 14, 2019
  4. Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update

having a problem with Windows 10 taskbar. help needed,

It's still happening after i have done the above mentioned steps. I was running FireFox, I had 3 tabs open. 2 were Newegg.com, 1 was TPU. Closing them did NOT resolve the issue. Im starting to think that this is being caused by a windows process. notifications are entirely off too. FFS, this is really annoying.

***edit***
    I tried This fix, and im Hoping it will work.
    RAN=elevated PowerShell\Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}\Enter\fingers Crossed *Wink Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update ;)

I Also installed "start10" and customised the start Menu, and Added a proper start button. Still no frozen taskbar, and its been Far longer than it normally takes until it used to happen.

jboydgolfer, Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update

1. Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update - Similar Threads - Start Menu Taskbar

2. Start Menu and Taskbar Not Working After Feb 2024 Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu and Taskbar Not Working After Feb 2024 Windows Update: Hey there, I have an issue. My laptop auto-updated on 29/02/2024 and when I woke up in the morning, the taskbar and Start menu weren't working. I can't get to Windows settings either. The only thing I have access to is File Explorer and the apps that have icons on my desktop....
  3. Start Menu and Taskbar Not Working After Feb 2024 Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu and Taskbar Not Working After Feb 2024 Windows Update: Hey there, I have an issue. My laptop auto-updated on 29/02/2024 and when I woke up in the morning, the taskbar and Start menu weren't working. I can't get to Windows settings either. The only thing I have access to is File Explorer and the apps that have icons on my desktop....
  4. Taskbar and Start menu not working after the KB5031356 update failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar and Start menu not working after the KB5031356 update failure: My PC just attempted the KB5031356 update released on October 10, 2023. It couldn't be installed due to a problem I've never encountered before, which is listed in the known issues of that update here:...
  5. Taskbar and Start menu not working after the KB5031356 update failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar and Start menu not working after the KB5031356 update failure: My PC just attempted the KB5031356 update released on October 10, 2023. It couldn't be installed due to a problem I've never encountered before, which is listed in the known issues of that update here:...
  6. Taskbar and Start menu not working after the KB5031356 update failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Start Menu and Taskbar icons are not clickable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu and Taskbar icons are not clickable: Hi, please am having issues with my pc start menu, search bar and all the taskbar icons, after i update the windows 10. The start menu windows button is not working and all other taskbar icons. some settings like windows security and account settings are not working also....
  8. Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, and taskbar not working in windows 10.: Hi all I have a an Asus desktop PC running windows 10, my son was playing minecraft last night and said that firefox came up wityh an error message, and then the start menu and taskbar stopped working, also all of the icons have gone from the task bar and stardock fences...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working: I have upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 and been using it for the last week now with no problems. Today, during a mandatory update my pc went blue screen and said it had to restart. Once it restarted it updated and booted fine. However after the update I realized that my...
  10. Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons: Hi, So I've been using Windows 10 for about a week, everything was positive, until today. I downloaded the OS a good few weeks before I installed it so I'm not sure how up-to-date it was, however it's just completely updated itself (I'm not sure which build it is, or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. powershell create start icon

2. powershell windows 10 start menu icons