Windows 10: Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes

Discus and support Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.572 - this issue has occurred the past few months When booting up the computer, or reboot, or switching users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Skid71, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Skid71 Win User

Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes

Windows 10 Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.572 - this issue has occurred the past few months

When booting up the computer, or reboot, or switching users 2 users in the house

The Start Menu, apps on the taskbar, and action center do not respond. When right clicking on the settings gear, settings appers to open for a brief moment, then goes away. This behavior also happens when trying to click on a taskbar app.

After approximately 10 minutes, these things work normally. When opening task manager, I don't see explorer.exe listed when the behavior occurs. Is it possible that explorer.exe doesn't "get started" after the 10 or so minutes?

I'm a blind user, so the Start Menu is of great use to me.

I have read some other posts about using command prompt or powershell to run commands such as sfc, grabappspackage, etc. sorry, I cannot remember them all. I have taken these steps, however the issue still persists.

Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you

:)

Skid71, Oct 20, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Start Menu, taskbar broke Build 10586

Hi, one test and resolution that is suggested for this quite common situation is exactly what you have done- create another user account.

Since you have just installed Win 10, frankly the easiest option would be to delete the original user, if there's no reason why not.

Feel free to search this forum for the many threads on
    Start menu taskbar
    Start menu not responding
    Taskbar not responding
    etc

Here are a few:
    Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 Start Menu stop working - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Oct 20, 2020
  3. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

Fix problems with the Start menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Start Menu / Taskbar Not Responding for 10 Minutes - Similar Threads - Start Menu Taskbar

2. Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting: Hello, dear Windows community, I have a bit of a weird one today. Since last week, whenever I boot my Asus UX331F Laptop that I bought roughly 5 years ago with Windows 11 Pro, everything works normal for a 3-5 min. I can click on items on the taskbar, use the start menu and...
  3. Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting: Hello, dear Windows community, I have a bit of a weird one today. Since last week, whenever I boot my Asus UX331F Laptop that I bought roughly 5 years ago with Windows 11 Pro, everything works normal for a 3-5 min. I can click on items on the taskbar, use the start menu and...
  4. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  5. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  6. not responding start menu

7. Start menu not responding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not responding: Whenever I open the start menu, it works for a few seconds (but can't open any applications) and stops responding and finally closes automatically. The start menu can no longer be used to open any applications. The search bar, if not opened with the start menu opened, works...
  8. Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond

Windows Applications (Including Taskbar and Start Menu) Do Not Respond: This is a problem I've been having with Windows 10 since I upgraded from 7 and honestly it's making me want to reinstall 7 again. Every so often, normally after only a few minutes, any windows applications that are open, including photos, the task manager or even the task...
  9. Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar and Start Menu frequently not responding: I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, up to date, on an Intel i5-6500 processor and Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3 motherboard. I've only been having this problem in the last month or so, having used the Windows installation for about a year previously. The Taskbar and Start Menu...
  10. Start menu and taskbar are not responding after reverting to 10125

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and taskbar are not responding after reverting to 10125: Hi all, long story short: i updated to 10130 the other night but i had issues with networking (basically connected to limited networks or cant connect at all), so when i reverted back to 10125 (through windows recovery) i have an issue where when i click on start menu...