Windows 10: Start menu trackpad scrolling

Discus and support Start menu trackpad scrolling in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys ever since the 1903 update, I can't scroll down my apps and programs in the start menu usimg the trackpad scrolling gesture, so I have to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/W720S, Jan 12, 2020.

1. /u/W720S Win User

Start menu trackpad scrolling

Hey guys ever since the 1903 update, I can't scroll down my apps and programs in the start menu usimg the trackpad scrolling gesture, so I have to use the slider on the side which quite inconvenient, I can use the scroll wheel if I have a mouse plugged tho. Anyone know how to fix this?

submitted by /u/W720S
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/W720S, Jan 12, 2020

2. Precision Trackpad Scrolling Broken Since Creators Update

This is a revival of
    this thread
    . It was locked for an unknown reason, despite the issue clearly still being relevant.

Ever since over a year ago when the initial Creators Update dropped, scrolling on precision trackpads has been a hot mess. The effects of the update include:

• Certain applications experience extreme stutter while scrolling with a precision trackpad(example). The graphics seem to only update when
      there is a decent break in between scroll events.
    • Applications such as Windows Explorer, Notepad, Notepad++, etc that would have normally scrolled line-by-line at a fast rate now scroll several lines at a time(depending on the value in Settings>Devices>Mouse) at a slow rate. This leads to much less precise
      scroll that you would expect from a precision trackpad. Windows Explorer has since been specifically fixed in the Fall Creators Update, but all other applications are left in the dust.

It's been said that the reason for these issues is due to precision trackpads now using mouse scroll events, in contrast to the previous method of directly manipulating scrollbars just as touchscreens do. While it does seem to make sense to use actual scroll
    events, the previous method of scrolling provided a vastly better experience.

This thread is meant to be both a question and a suggestion. The suggestion being to revert back to the old method of scrolling. The question being, is there any (even hacky) method to restore old precision trackpad scrolling functionality? It's been over
    a year now, and it's been thoroughly frustrating to not have any fix for this.

Brett Butcher, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Trackpad Scrolling Problems In Creators Update

I love the Creators Update-- it has a good amount of features that are applicable for me on my Surface Pro 4. However, trackpad scrolling has just been completely obliterated. It's really been a nightmare. Here's the problems I'm experiencing:

• Scrolling in applications that support smooth scrolling have been slowed down to about half the speed, resulting in too slow of a speed. In order to offset this loss, I must set the number of lines scrolled to a higher number, but now applications that
      don't support smooth scrolling go way too fast!

Someone told me on Reddit that previous to the Creators Update, trackpad scrolling directly manipulated scroll bars on legacy applications. Now, mouse scroll events are sent to the application. This explains another problem-- applications that don't support
      horizontal scrolling don't scroll horizontally any longer. The previous method of scrolling really provided a better experience. Is there any way to revert to the old ways?
    • Some Java applications(Eclipse and IntelliJ confirmed) have super glitchy trackpad scrolling(I assume due to the previous point). While you moving your fingers on the trackpad, some of the graphics freezes up. Using a mouse to scroll or flinging on a trackpad
      does not produce this issue. Here's
      a gif
      of what's going on. I'm thinking that the problem is a flood of events, thus preventing repainting. I don't know what the source code of Eclipse looks like, but that's just my idea. Perhaps I'll run a profiler later to see just how many events are
      firing.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Brett Butcher, Jan 12, 2020
  4. tomybooy Win User

Can't scroll in start menu windows 10

Hey all.

I updated my windows to 10 and all is good besides the scrolling.

I cannot scroll in the start menu or some other menus in windows. (File explorer works and of curse that in chrome everything works.)

It's just the start menu and basically all the menus in the new windows 10.

The funny thing is that's it shows me the little mark that's get showed when you actually do scroll, but nothing happens.

I'm using Samsung 9 series, with Syntaptics drivers which are installed.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

tomybooy, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Start menu trackpad scrolling - Similar Threads - Start menu trackpad

2. Start Menu Auto Scrolling Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Start Menu Auto Scrolling Issues: I need help and I'm at the last straw. I have a computer that is only a year old, a CyberPower desktop, and a few days ago the start menu and other device menus began auto scrolling downward and would not release. I have done everything listed below:Uninstalled the drivers to...
  3. Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inconsistent trackpad scroll speed: Hello, I searched all over google to no avail. Trackpad scroll is inconsisten across apps. Some work fine, like firefox and settings menu, others like discord, steam, EGS, Spotify go from 0 to 100 in a milisecond.... it's super annoying, and it only happens in Windows (it...
  4. Auto Scrolling in start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Auto Scrolling in start menu: All windows menus auto-scrolling to the top whenever I try to use the start menu. If I try to type the name of a program for instance it just keeps going to the top after one letter. Similarly, if I try to click on a sub-menu it will keep trying to go to the top so that I...
  5. Scrolling doesn't work in start menu.

Scrolling doesn't work in start menu.: Two finger scrolling gesture on trackpad doesn't work in start menu. It works in other apps like Edge etc. But not in start menu. I have Lenovo ideapad 320e with elan trackpad drivers. Windows 10 (1909) submitted by /u/Orion_001 [link] [comments]...
  6. Scrolling doesn't work on Start Menu

Scrolling doesn't work on Start Menu: It happened when I got the April update last year and since then I didn't search for a solution. But here's the issue scrolling works perfectly everywhere on my system except when I open the Start Menu scrolling doesn't work on it and I have to use the scroll bar on the side...
  7. Tiles Scroll Down in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tiles Scroll Down in Start Menu: I just purchased a new laptop. It's running Windows 10, which is also what my old laptop is running. With the new one, when I click the start menu, the start menu opens and the tiles "scroll down." This does not happen on my old laptop. Where is the setting that one might...
  8. Trackpad scrolling pattern

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trackpad scrolling pattern: Usually when I am scrolling with the trackpad, the window will keep scrolling for as long as I am moving my fingers. Then sometimes it will switch and it will only scroll a certain number of lines until I let go, at which point it will sort of free scroll for a second or...
  9. Start Menu scroll bar Bug

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu scroll bar Bug: There is a scroll bar, even if the tiles do not take up the entire height of the Start Menu. Can it be fixed soon? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-scroll-bar-bug/72869904-8461-4cd6-8e62-dbb04c9c110c
  10. Auto Scrolling in start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Auto Scrolling in start menu: All windows menus auto-scrolling to the top whenever I try to use the start menu. If I try to type the name of a program for instance it just keeps going to the top after one letter. Similarly, if I try to click on a sub-menu it will keep trying to go to the top so that I...