Windows 10: Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen

Discus and support Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hiyas, some program groups or app shortcuts inside start menu folder won't show in full desktop start menu nor they're able to pin to home screen. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Franz Ferdinand, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen

Hiyas, some program groups or app shortcuts inside start menu folder won't show in full desktop start menu nor they're able to pin to home screen. I inspected respective folders a bit but found nothing suspicious. Most of them was created by regular installer. Also user permissions are good (inherited from start menu base). No matter if I move the folder/shortcut between "%AllUsersProfile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" ↔ "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs", it just is ignored by desktop start menu.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

:)

Franz Ferdinand, Aug 3, 2015
  2. EricHunt Win User

Issue with Start Screen - Pins Dissappearing

Thank you Danny for responding.

Regarding the "Rouge Group", in the start menu you can group together sets of pins, name them and move them around. When you click and hold on a pin, move it to its desired location, an area will visually lighten up showing that you can place that pin within
    the group. The term "rouge" for me meant that there is a group space on the start menu that is making my pins disappear.

To replicate the issue, take a pin on the start menu, move it around and hover over a blank / empty and unnamed group. Release and let the pin place. Then click and hold that same pin, and attempt to move it within that group and all of a sudden the start
    screen will crash. Open the start screen again and the pin is now gone.

Applications can be repined at this point but pinned websites from MS Edge can not be repined. Its as if MS Edge still detects that the website is pinned on the start screen, but it is not visible by any means.

Method 1 - I have tried this but the troubleshooter did not find any issues.

Method 2 - No issues to report here as well.

Any way I can access what is stored on the start screen though any of the file system?

EricHunt, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Start menu is "see through" and totally empty in Windows 10

That looks like the full screen Start menu with the Expand / Pinned Tiles / All Apps in the upper left. I don't know why yours is blank. By default MS populates it with half a dozen blatant advertising tiles as well as a bunch of their <c*>applets they
    want you to use.

If you click on All apps it will show you tiles for all installed apps. Right click on one and select "Pin to Start. That will pin a copy of the tile on the start screen.

You can drag them around on the screen to arrange them into logical groups. Name groups. Right click and select one of several tile sizes.

Here are some articles about the Win 10 Start menu / screen:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3190076/windows...

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-configure-a...

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10...

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-move-group-...

Rohn007, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen

1. Start menu: unable to see some program groups and pin to Home screen - Similar Threads - Start menu unable

2. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  3. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  4. Start Menu Groups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Groups: I want to change the squares that are included in the groups on my start menu, but it says they are locked. How do I unlock them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-groups/43f34af2-1a68-40ea-ad4c-82f2256d3e21
  5. Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu

Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu: Hello, So I've been noticing a common issue with upgrading some of my work place's PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am using the windows media creation tool and for the most part everything goes well during the upgrade, however when I log back into the machine using out...
  6. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu: I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise....
  7. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu: I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise....
  8. Cannot pin programs to start menu

Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527
  9. Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu

Some programs won't show up in/get pinned to the Start menu: Hi, Something a bit weird with the Win 10 start menu. I'm using Oracle VirtualBox, and installed the latest version after upgrading to Windows 10 (5.0.1 beta). It works fine, but for some reason I can't pin it to the start menu, nor does it show up in the start menu when I...
  10. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?: Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed...