Windows 10: Start menu weird folder icons

Discus and support Start menu weird folder icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Since some Windows 10 versions, I often have "weird" start menu folder icons, usually when resuming my laptop from sleep mode. The Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Patrick Vandeweert, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Start menu weird folder icons

Hello,

Since some Windows 10 versions, I often have "weird" start menu folder icons, usually when resuming my laptop from sleep mode.

The Windows 10 is always a clean install, and I have seen the issue with both Microsoft and HP drivers.

Here's an example on how the start menu looks like when it occurs:

Clicking on one folder has the following result:

- the icon looks OK ("opened folder")

- closing the folder gives the weird icon back

- opening/closing a few times usually restores the "closed folder icon" to the correct one, and also corrects it for the other folders as well.

I've seen similar questions on forums, but no reason/solution yet.

I also want to stress the Windows is almost as clean as it can be: it's from the original ISO and all universal apps are removed.

Some more details:

- Windows 10 Pro 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809 (issue was with all these versions, all patches)

- Display driver details:

best regards

:)

Patrick Vandeweert, Oct 10, 2018

2. Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Try removing that icon from the start menu, going to profram file folder for firefox, and doing "pin 2 start menu".

oli_ramsay, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Start menu weird folder icons

Start Menu Folder Icons are being weird.

Hi Andriel,

To provide you an accurate resolution regarding your Start Menu icons issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

Start menu weird folder icons

1. Start menu weird folder icons - Similar Threads - Start menu weird

2. start menu icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu icon: All the icon in start menu became a folder. How to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icon/793ccd6a-c30f-4600-ada0-281fe99d0092
  3. weird Folder Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    weird Folder Icon: so for windows 11 was fine with 0 glitches or bugs but today I turn on my laptop and had some glitchfolder icon if this is an update please revert it back if it is not then any fix...
  4. weird Folder Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    weird Folder Icon: so for windows 11 was fine with 0 glitches or bugs but today I turn on my laptop and had some glitchfolder icon if this is an update please revert it back if it is not then any fix...
  5. icons started looking weird

icons started looking weird: most of my icons all of a sudden changed to this for example my snipping tool icon [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-started-looking-weird/51b3e043-695c-4050-bf4b-325731dcd76e
  6. New start menu folder icon location.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New start menu folder icon location.: In the recent updates, a new folder icon in the start menu has appeared. I really like it and wish to make the default folder icon in explorer to be that. Where is the file location that contains that icon? I looked in imageres.dll, explorer.exe and shell32.dll. submitted by...
  7. No icons or Start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No icons or Start menu: Split from this thread. Powered on PC today and no icons or start up menu appear, I can't do anything and it is running incredibly slow, it is Windows 10. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience if this is not the proper way to ask this question. Thanks for any help....
  8. Weird Microsoft Windows Feedback icon in start menu

Weird Microsoft Windows Feedback icon in start menu: Hi all. I have gotten this weird problem, after either update or when i was removing apps, including the buildt-in apps using Ccleaner. But the problem is that there is an icon in my start menu with the name:...
  9. Weird Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Start Menu: Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem. I have virtually no tiles...
  10. Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons: Hello, Is there a way to pin a web page shortcut tile to "Start Menu" from Google Chrome maintaining original web page icon. Thank You 102601

Users found this page by searching for:

1. weird icon on folder icon