Windows 10: Start Menu Will Not Open Can't Create New User Account

Discus and support Start Menu Will Not Open Can't Create New User Account in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am so over this! setting up this new computer for the third time since May. First, it kept giving the error that the Recycle Bin was corrupt. I fixed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LindaY64, Oct 24, 2019.

1. LindaY64 Win User

Start Menu Will Not Open Can't Create New User Account

I am so over this! setting up this new computer for the third time since May. First, it kept giving the error that the Recycle Bin was corrupt. I fixed that. Then the Start Menu would not open. Looking for solutions, I did a system file check. That said everything was fine. I tried to then create a new user account, but the window flashes and doesn't come up. How do I fix all of this?

:)

LindaY64, Oct 24, 2019

2. For a new user account, there's no start menu and no action center

When I create a new user account and sign in to it:

• Nothing happens when I left-click or right-click the Start button--no menu at all.
    • When I try to open the Action Center, nothing happens; it won't open.

So, the new user account is unusable.

This happens when logging in to any new user account I create, not just a particular one.

Could someone please help?

Thank you.

Judy Lemke, Oct 24, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 24, 2019
  4. Start Menu Will Not Open Can't Create New User Account

Start Menu in Windows 10 stops working even after creating a new user

I struggled with the same issue for a few days but found a solution. I created a new user but their start menu wouldn't work. I tried a bunch of "solutions" that if found like deleting and re-adding the account, registry changes, running things from the
    command line and none of them worked.

I found something that talked about enabling the Administrator account. I created that account (see below) and used it to create other accounts and they worked fine. So, once you enable the Administrator account, log in using that (no password necessary).
    Go to Control Panel, Users, and create a new account. You will notice that instead of the normal interface it launched "lusrmgr" which is more of a windows explorer looking UI. To create a user click on Users. Then use the Action > New User menu to create
    your user account.

To enable the Windows 10 Administrator account do the following:

• Tap on the Windows-key. This should open the start menu or bring you to the Start Screen interface depending on how Windows 10 is configured on the system.
    • Type cmd and wait for the results to be displayed.
    • Right-click no the Command Prompt result and select "run as administrator" from the context menu.
    • Run the command net user to display a list of all user accounts on the system.
    • To activate the inactive administrator account, run the command net user administrator /active:yes

Ohmylord41, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu Will Not Open Can't Create New User Account

1. Start Menu Will Not Open Can't Create New User Account - Similar Threads - Start Menu Open

2. Start Menu and Taskbar Not Working, Cannot Create New User Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Taskbar Not Working, Cannot Create New User Profile: My start menu icon no longer works. I cannot access the start menu using the icon or Windows button. All I get is the revolving blue circle twice.None of the icons on the task bar work as well, calendar, volume, etc., including the search bar. The icons I do have pinned...
  3. Task bar and start menu not working for new user accounts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task bar and start menu not working for new user accounts: I recently added user accounts for my family members. All were working fine yesterday. Today the Start menu and task bar will not finish loading in any of the new accounts. When hovering over the task bar, I just get a wait-cursor. The original user account works fine,...
  4. Create new User account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create new User account: Split from this thread. Greetings and happy new year to you, Greg, Master of Windows 10! Would you do me the honor or assisting me with any advice how to repair my very LIGHT corrupted user in Win 10. I want to keep all the "links" the user has. My outlook mails mostly...
  5. New User Account has been created with non-default Start Menu

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New User Account has been created with non-default Start Menu: Hi, I have created a new local user account. To do it I used my own standard administrator account and the "Family and other Users" facility in Settings. I did not create the new account as "Family". To my annoyance, the new account has inherited some of my own very flaky...
  6. can't create new user account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't create new user account: win 10 installed on a cow chip labeled ASUS. I can't create a new account. Only have one admin account, The tab to create a new user is missing. Tried to create one through Settings. Get message the snapin cannot be used. All this started when I tried to give read only rights...
  7. Start menu button not working on new user account

Start menu button not working on new user account: Just created a 2nd admin account on a W10 PC and The Start menu button is not working on a new user account....still works ok on the original account. Done sfc scan now and it found some errors, now downloading replacement files.....hope that will work....did the...
  8. Can't create a new local user account

Can't create a new local user account: I use a local Administrator level account, not a Microsoft account and am trying to create a new local user account to do some testing, but it doesn't work. When I click on Add someone else to this PC, I get a grey box for a second which goes away and that's it. No error,...
  9. Create a group of tiles in the Start menu common to all user accounts

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a group of tiles in the Start menu common to all user accounts: Hi How am I supposed to create a group of tiles (containing some tiles) in the start menu, common to all user accounts (old and new)? Thanks Bye 44493
  10. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768