Windows 10: start menu wont open?

Discus and support start menu wont open? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; why wont the start menu open? 18661 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by danderson400, Aug 23, 2015.

1. start menu wont open?

why wont the start menu open?

:)

danderson400, Aug 23, 2015

2. Start menu wont display after perfroming System restore on Windows 10.

Original Title: my start up menu wont desplay

my start up menu wont show on my windows 10, i recently did a systems restore on my PC and after that the start menu has stopped appearing. what should i do?

Collins K Mboroma, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update wont download (Error 0x8024401b)

None of that has helped it still wont update and still the start menu wont work start menu wont open? :(

Ashley Jenkins, Aug 23, 2015
  4. labeeman Win User
  5. LafnSu Win User
    I'm having the Critical Error with a loop that "Start Menu and Cortana aren't working, sign out and we'll fix it next time you log in". I am unable to sign in to safe mode, unable to delete Avast and unable to do anything other than keep trying to restart or shut down and try again. I finally did a hard shut down and no help. At this time I'm unable to use my laptop at all, and I'm thanking my stars that I didn't update my 7 box....only way to get in here and at least try to figure out how to help. I'm going to stop for the night, but if anyone has a real help other than reformatting and starting over, I'd appreciate any guidance....a laptop is so very much easier to throw through the window, I'm really tempted...sigh!

Thanks for any insight.

LafnSu, Aug 23, 2015
  6. DaveBilly Win User
    There is nothing you can do but wait for Microsoft to finally release a permanent patch to fix the very grave problem they have created. This has been going on since the release of the OS to the public and a lot of computers have this issue. Countless users are pulling their hair, wasting hours and hours trying to fix the critical error by following troubleshooting steps suggested by so-called computer "experts", including Microsoft software engineers, who will propose all kinds of ridiculous solutions that don't work. Moreover, you simply risk making things worse if you listen to them. I have also read many posts targeting Avast as the culprit. This error has NOTHING to do with conflicting anti-virus programs. My wife's Acer netbook, which used to run on Windows 7 Starter, was upgraded to Windows 10, with the Avast anti-virus still active and the installation went without a glitch. I upgraded my desktop with only Windows Defender, which is the native anti-virus that comes packaged with Windows operating system and that didn't stop me for getting the Start Menu critical error. Honestly, what pisses me off is to read all the incredible nonsense from people coming up with their own explanations as to the cause of the problem, along with stupid non-working fixes. Do yourself a favour and dismiss them all!

Anyway, here is what I posted in the Microsoft forum two weeks ago:

SHAME ON YOU, MICROSOFT!
    There are hundreds if not thousands of worldwide posts already on the internet complaining about that major issue, that is the Critical Error-Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" (which of course doesn't work, what a joke!).
    I have tried countless of so-called "solutions" found here and there on the net, including some suggested by your "brilliant" software engineers (who I suspect very well know the troubleshooting won't fix anything, which is quite insulting as far as I'm concerned), wasting hours and hours trying to figure out how to fix your mess, or even trying to revert back to Windows 7, all to no avail.
    Man, I had a perfectly fine working Windows 7 before installing this piece of garbage. No wonder it's free!
    MICROSOFT, you owe it to your customers to have your I.T. SWAT team work around the clock to come up with a fix ASAP via an update that automatically installs without having the end-user perform some complicated computational cyber-gymnastics to repair your useless catastrophic non-operating system.
    You also owe it to your customers to keep us posted about development via press releases so we know what's going on and when exactly can we expect to get our computers back to normal. Anything less would show contempt and arrogance and will guarantee you a PR nightmare, you can be certain of that. Simply hiding behind some vague casual statements from a brain-washed spokesperson is not enough, such as this gem from last week:
    "Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and Jen, who works for Microsoft, stated that they are looking into the matter and that a fix is on the way. We've fixed many of the underlying causes for this issue, but there are still some eluding us, and I'm sorry to hear that this is impacting you guys" (no kidding!)."We have telemetry and crash reports that we're watching for this."
    Thanks for the update, Jen from Microsoft. So, Jen, any news since then?

(PS: there was an update from Microsoft released this past Friday, August 21st, basically saying the same thing more or less, accompanied by a suggested temporary fix which requires the user to boot in safe mode then immediately reboot in normal mode. Again, I repeat, this does NOT work!)

Signed: An incredibly frustrated and angry customer

DaveBilly, Aug 23, 2015
  7. Thanks for posting that I am glad I have waited to upgrade to windows 10. will now not bother at all until I read they at Microsoft have fixed the error on both problems glad you pointed out that going into safe mode does not work, as on some laptops safe mode does not kick in I should know I have tried it just to see.

hTconeM9user, Aug 23, 2015
  8. LafnSu Win User

start menu wont open?

Just for an update. I have spent two days and done everything I can find to do, including the "fix" from MS. Fwiw I could not go into safe mode because I was unable to left or right click on anything. After several retries, I thought I had uninstalled avast from the computer, however the error message remained on top of any other windows. Then I muttered ever so gently, turned it off and left it for a day. I went to try the restart with intentions of getting the image off the cloud and restoring to win8.1 before the upgrade. To my surprise it booted up. Avast was still there, but giving error messages so I then uninstalled. I rebooted and all seems fine now. Needless to say I've just backed up again....sheesh. Now to get another AV in case they let me know they aren't compatible.

LafnSu, Aug 25, 2015
  9. I got this a few times and it just went away, it hasn't popped up in about a week.

whitejacob43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

start menu wont open?

1. start menu wont open? - Similar Threads - start menu wont

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start Menu Wont open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Wont open: My start menu will not open. some apps on the task bar also give error "Class Not Registered"Im also unable to open the task manager to possibly restart the process and when i try to open it its just blank with nothing in the window.... My chrome button on the task bar works...
  4. Settings/start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings/start menu wont open: Hey new guy here my settings/start/volume/notifications wont open and apps wont open I've tried rebooting my windows explorer and didn't do anything my calculator app won't open either. I've been having alot of trouble with my account because my settings won't sync because it...
  5. Settings/Start menu wont work or open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings/Start menu wont work or open: So recently my settings will not open even if I press the dedicated keys as well as the start menu. Anything on the task bar will not open but my right click somehow works? My notifications will not open either. Previous to this problem my admin account says that its...
  6. start menu on windows 10 wont start

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu on windows 10 wont start: start menu is not functioning https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-on-windows-10-wont-start/608b0ad1-f64f-408a-8b04-492465794afa
  7. Start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu wont open: Good day. I bought my laptop with win 10 installed. Today I tried to shutdown but could not open start menu as neither the win key nor start button was working. Any suggestions ,please. 47294
  8. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  9. Windows 10 start menu or search wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu or search wont open: well even one build ago (im now on windows build 10051) after a while the start menu wont open and the new search also wont open. i cant even check id modern apps work because powershell is giving me a error. im running sfc /scannow atm so ill report back. 5300
  10. Start Menu wont update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu wont update: I seem to be unable to add any more programs to the listings of my start menu. The issue arose when I installed Office 2016. Access and Excel seemed to be added to the start menu listings. But the rest of the programs did not show up. The shortcuts were actually present in...