Windows 10: Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

Discus and support Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is a problem that affects my PC but, oddly, not my laptop. Both are running W10 build 1809. On both devices, I like to create my own categories... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by spriggs, Feb 28, 2019.

1. spriggs Win User

Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

This is a problem that affects my PC but, oddly, not my laptop. Both are running W10 build 1809. On both devices, I like to create my own categories and specify which tiles appear in them. Since the most recent upgrade to 1809, this is no longer possible on the PC. I can change things around, change the size and set it as I like but if, for example, I open a program then come back to the Start menu afterwards, everything has reverted to as it was before. There are also a number of tiles which contain the download symbol and hovering the mouse gives a message "a great app is on its way". I would like to get rid of them permanently but cannot. If I go to Settings/Personalisation/Start, I can change the Off/On slider buttons but if I move to another page and back again, they have reverted to what they were before I changed them.
    I have refreshed W10 once but cannot be bothered with all the hassle of having to reinstall all the non-Windows apps I use such as Firefox, VLC Media Player, Thunderbird, Audacity and numerous others.
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

:)

spriggs, Feb 28, 2019

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

1. Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way - Similar Threads - Start Menu works

2. Any way to pin a folder existing in the All Applications menu to the Start menu ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to pin a folder existing in the All Applications menu to the Start menu ?: HI,Many desktop applications are installing in the All Applications menu a folder containing various items pointing to documentation, help files and various utilities related to the main program. Such folders appear in the All Applications menu when I click on "All...
  3. Any way to pin a folder existing in the All Applications menu to the Start menu ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any way to pin a folder existing in the All Applications menu to the Start menu ?: HI,Many desktop applications are installing in the All Applications menu a folder containing various items pointing to documentation, help files and various utilities related to the main program. Such folders appear in the All Applications menu when I click on "All...
  4. Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?: Hello, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? My PC isn't compatible with Windows 11, as it doesn't have a TPM, so I got a theme but only the start button has moved. So, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? I'm on Windows 10 Pro, if that...
  5. Any way to remove these from start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to remove these from start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MindOfErick [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/le9nta/any_way_to_remove_these_from_start_menu/
  6. Any way to change tile colors in the start menu?

Any way to change tile colors in the start menu?: I just installed the 20H2 version and I'm using the fullscreen start menu (like 8.1) and now the tiles are grey instead of my theme color in dark mode... any way to change it? maybe through regedit or a mod? submitted by /u/Jaylay99 [link] [comments]...
  7. Any way when typing with the start menu up ...to search, well, just the start menu?

Any way when typing with the start menu up ...to search, well, just the start menu?: Basically, if the start menu is open and I'm typing, I just want to show results in the start menu structure. I don't want to search my documents, the web, apps I don't have installed, settings, or other random crap from the ends of the earth. Just simply filter down the...
  8. Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?: Specifically I want to be able to open Visual Studio Code by searching VS Code instead. League of Legends allows me to search "lol" to have the program immediately come to the top, is there any way I can replicate this? submitted by /u/MattHellstrand [link] [comments]...
  9. Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way: This is a problem that affects my PC but, oddly, not my laptop. Both are running W10 build 1809. On both devices, I like to create my own categories and specify which tiles appear in them. Since the most recent upgrade to 1809, this is no longer possible on the PC. I can...
  10. Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles: Title says it all -- In particular, Windows Update tile which was created by right-clicking on Update & security box in settings and selecting Pin to Start. The tile opens up the Windows Update page and I would like to rename the tile to say Windows Update ( or Win Update...