Windows 10: Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

Discus and support Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a problem that affects my PC but, oddly, not my laptop. Both are running W10 build 1809. On both devices, I like to create my own categories... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spriggs, Feb 28, 2019.

1. spriggs Win User

Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

This is a problem that affects my PC but, oddly, not my laptop. Both are running W10 build 1809. On both devices, I like to create my own categories and specify which tiles appear in them. Since the most recent upgrade to 1809, this is no longer possible on the PC. I can change things around, change the size and set it as I like but if, for example, I open a program then come back to the Start menu afterwards, everything has reverted to as it was before. There are also a number of tiles which contain the download symbol and hovering the mouse gives a message "a great app is on its way". I would like to get rid of them permanently but cannot. If I go to Settings/Personalisation/Start, I can change the Off/On slider buttons but if I move to another page and back again, they have reverted to what they were before I changed them.
    I have refreshed W10 once but cannot be bothered with all the hassle of having to reinstall all the non-Windows apps I use such as Firefox, VLC Media Player, Thunderbird, Audacity and numerous others.
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

:)

spriggs, Feb 28, 2019

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

1. Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way - Similar Threads - Start Menu works

2. Cannot change the brightness in any way

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change the brightness in any way: Hello everyone, at one day suddenly I realized that I cannot change the brightness even I press the brightness change button. Later on I realized there is no option available in my power settings place for brightness change in task bar. Later on I went to setting and display...
  3. Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu works but cannot be altered in any way: This is a problem that affects my PC but, oddly, not my laptop. Both are running W10 build 1809. On both devices, I like to create my own categories and specify which tiles appear in them. Since the most recent upgrade to 1809, this is no longer possible on the PC. I can...
  4. cannot alter sound volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot alter sound volume: cannot alter sound volume and there is no question I can relate it to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-alter-sound-volume/3612b4d3-5f13-495b-be5a-1b94e8df969d
  5. way to modify the Start Menu programs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    way to modify the Start Menu programs?: in Win7 & Win 8.1.1 (with Start8) I can do Start|All Programs|right-click and select "open all users." Then i can create groups of apps. I like to create UTILS groups that has lots of things, some i rarely use & might not recall the name of, a MULTIMEDIA that has a few apps...
  6. Any working way to remove Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any working way to remove Cortana?: Is there a way to completely remove Cortana? I disabled it, but it keeps running in the background. I did find some suggestions to remove it, but it also removes the search and causes problems to other stuff. So is there a working way by now to do that? Thanks! 38858
  7. Any way to rebuild/refresh Windows 10 start menu icons on tiles?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to rebuild/refresh Windows 10 start menu icons on tiles?: Hi all! I would like to refresh start menu icons in Windows 10 and haven't been able to find any info about it. These is the rebuild icon cache thread but that method works only for the desktop and explorer icons - not for the start menu icons (tiles). I have many...
  8. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem for a few days. The problem has returned. No start menu. All updates have been installed. Does anyone have a fix for this? 4020
  9. Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles: Title says it all -- In particular, Windows Update tile which was created by right-clicking on Update & security box in settings and selecting Pin to Start. The tile opens up the Windows Update page and I would like to rename the tile to say Windows Update ( or Win Update...
  10. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: Why not try to use the inbuilt start menu troubleshooter or uninstall some third-party software if necessary in Control Panel?