Windows 10: Start menu

Discus and support Start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of a sudden the start menu doesn't open when I click on it. That's that square with 4 squares inside the square on the bottom left corner and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 808mlum, Apr 23, 2016.

1. 808mlum Win User

Start menu

All of a sudden the start menu doesn't open when I click on it. That's that square with 4 squares inside the square on the bottom left corner and I can't type in the "Search the web and Windows" box next to it. Also the speaker icon on the right bottom corner won't open too when I click on it. I tried rebooting my computer too.

:)

808mlum, Apr 23, 2016

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Apr 23, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Apr 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start menu

Many threads on this- please feel free to search the forum.
    Here is one very current I found for you which includes most approaches:
    Loss of start menu - Windows 10 Forums

(One typing error in the first post where ISM should be DISM)

Given your other symptom:
    If you haven't yet started to use disk imaging to protect your PC and your sanity:
    - use a System Restore point - if you have any
    or
    - do an in-place upgrade repair install

(See above thread)

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  5. nitehawk Win User
    do a system restore back too the date when u knew that all that was working , i realized if i deleted registry files and rebooted the pc my start menu and speakers wouldn't work , speaker volume control
    once i restored back to another date it worked again and i never deleted registry again

nitehawk, Apr 23, 2016
  6. 808mlum Win User
    Did a system restore and it fixed the problem. Thanks guys for your suggestions!

808mlum, Apr 23, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great- sometimes things work as they're meant to. But some find system restore is not always reliable, and some experts here therefore strongly recommend using disk imaging routinely - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  8. froireier Win User

Start menu

Ummmm, how do I do a System Restore Point?
    My Search Bar isn't even working... and what happens if I do this?
    Will I lose any data?
    Will the files I placed after the date be deleted?

froireier, Apr 23, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you mean use System Restore to recover your PC using a restore point previously created (before the problem occurred) then
    a. you will have needed to have turned System Restore on (have you ever done that?)
    b. you will need to have done something that created a restore point
    (System Restore has been available from XP, so you can read up on it to answer your questions)

To see if you have any restore points:
    Press Windows key + X, click Control Panel, System, System Protection.
    You should see sthg like this:

Start menu [​IMG]

Can you see it's on for my C + D?
    So I would click System Restore, and then I'd be offered a recommended restore point.

If you don't have any restore points then there are other repair procedures.
    Please post back.

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  10. MrWhoopee Win User
    Regarding the OP and his solution, I just had a call-back on this issue. It was from the first client who called with this problem and I had resolved it with a system restore. Two weeks later, it was back. This time I used the method I posted here:
    Solved Windows Start Button: Status? - Windows 10 Forums

I've used it 3 or 4 times recently with success. Hopefully this addresses the root cause and will prevent another re-occurrence.

MrWhoopee, Apr 24, 2016
  11. froireier Win User
    Sorry took me awhile to post back...
    My internet went out....

Anyhoo, System Restore took a REALLY LONG time to finish but atleast it worked in the end.. all of my problems dissapeared *Biggrin

The root cause of the problem was me installing NET.Framework 3.5..
    I don't know why it would cause such a problem but it did..

Thanks for the help *Smile

froireier, Apr 25, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Strange. Glad it's working. Many here comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system.

Highly recommended: disk imaging e.g. Macrium reflect (free) + boot disk + external storage medium.
    - full backup of disks and parititions imaged
    - can restore system as it was relatively quickly without technical assistance (hardware faults aside)
    - allows you to replace a faulty disk or upgrade it
    - can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

And did I mention it helps you sleep at night? *Wink

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  13. froireier Win User

Start menu

I'll try that a week from now ( Will buy a new external hard-drive )
    Thanks for that *Smile

froireier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu

1. Start menu - Similar Threads - Start menu

2. Start Menu reset to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu reset to default: Does anyone know how to revert back to the windows 11 where it shows the files on the left and the small apps on the right? I used to have pinned items and other items on the right and now it is this way.please see screenshot....
  3. Start Menu reset to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu reset to default: Does anyone know how to revert back to the windows 11 where it shows the files on the left and the small apps on the right? I used to have pinned items and other items on the right and now it is this way.please see screenshot....
  4. Start Menu on window 11 not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu on window 11 not working: Hello,I have a problem:My start menu on my fresh installed windows 11 is not working. I think this button has never work since my fresh install yesterday.If i press the windows button on my keyboard, the start menu is not opening, and if i try to click on it, it doesn't work...
  5. Start Menu on window 11 not working

Start Menu on window 11 not working: Hello,I have a problem:My start menu on my fresh installed windows 11 is not working. I think this button has never work since my fresh install yesterday.If i press the windows button on my keyboard, the start menu is not opening, and if i try to click on it, it doesn't work...
  6. taskbar , start menu, class not resistered issues, i am facing in my lenovo window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taskbar , start menu, class not resistered issues, i am facing in my lenovo window 10: A few days ago I updated my laptop, to Window 10, later I faced issues like the taskbar not working, the taskbar setting is not opening, the start menu also not working and the class not resisting showing. now what should i do ?...
  7. RE: Audio Services, Start Menu, Settings will not work and the PC never resets correctly...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RE: Audio Services, Start Menu, Settings will not work and the PC never resets correctly...: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-services-start-menu-settings-will-not-work/90de2c1d-388d-475e-9f9e-b2cae64c6047Im sorry if it's against the rules to ask for help on an unresolved question, but i really still need help on my previous question.The...
  8. RE: Audio Services, Start Menu, Settings will not work and the PC never resets correctly...

RE: Audio Services, Start Menu, Settings will not work and the PC never resets correctly...: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-services-start-menu-settings-will-not-work/90de2c1d-388d-475e-9f9e-b2cae64c6047Im sorry if it's against the rules to ask for help on an unresolved question, but i really still need help on my previous question.The...
  9. RE: Audio Services, Start Menu, Settings will not work and the PC never resets correctly...

10. I got critical error in my windows pc; " Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it...

I got critical error in my windows pc; " Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it...: I got critical error in my windows pc; " Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". It kept telling me whenever I kept signing in. How can I fix it?...