Windows 10: Start Menu

Discus and support Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yes! Yes!!! If you can, will you please help me solve this. When I put the computer to sleep from the Start Menu itself and then hitting the power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maggidon, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Maggidon Win User

Start Menu

Yes! Yes!!! If you can, will you please help me solve this. When I put the computer to sleep from the Start Menu itself and then hitting the power button, it always wakes with the Start Menu up with all its nice tiles. Is there a way to stop the Start Menu from appearing then when awakening the computer. I want to believe there is something in the Settings to stop the power menu from being there when the computer wakens but I cannot find anything.
    Also, if I press the power button to put the computer to sleep, and then hit it to awaken it, it will waken up without the power menu being there which of course is what I want.

:)

Maggidon, Dec 19, 2016

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Dec 19, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Dec 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start Menu

Hi, you might
    a. create a scheduled task run on resuming from sleep which sends an 'ESC' character to close it for you.
    b. use an alternative start menu e.g. Classic Shell (no tiles but lots of advantages) - can still use Win 10's as well.

dalchina, Dec 19, 2016
  5. Maggidon Win User
    Interesting suggestions. It's strange but if I right click on the Start Menu and put it to sleep from there, the Start Menu is not up when I bring the computer to sleep. So these to options, right clicking on the Start Menu or hitting the Power Bar to put it to sleep keeps the Start Menu from being there when I awaken the computer. Putting the computer to sleep from within the Start Menu has the Start Menu up in my face when I bring the computer out of sleep. Isn't that kind of weird?

Maggidon, Dec 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, you could say Windows is being pedantically accurate - if the Start menu is displayed when the PC sleeps, and resume should present exactly the same state, that it is then also displayed meets that specification.

dalchina, Dec 19, 2016
  7. Maggidon Win User
    You know, I never once thought of that. Apparently you are 100% correct in what you say and I have been 100% non-observant to what's going on here. I think I am in deep need of a Starbucks. Thanks for the help.

Maggidon, Dec 19, 2016
  8. Maggidon Win User

Start Menu

And yes, dalchina's response with nothing must mean he's still gloating in his answer or his computer exploded in his face and he's presently having trouble seeing right now. Either or, my best goes out to him, her or it over the Christmas holidays.

Maggidon, Dec 24, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Nothing? I suggested a way forward. Gloat? Why? What for? Happy Christmas to you.

dalchina, Dec 24, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    A nice and fast alternative is to use Windows Shut down dialog. Whenever I want to shut down, restart, sleep, hibernate or switch user, I simply click desktop to activate it, to take focus from current active application, and press ALT + F4 to show the dialog and select what I want to do:

Start Menu [​IMG]

Just remember that if focus is not on desktop, the current active application will be closed when pressing ALT + F4.

11. Maggidon Win User
    Kari, that's an interesting suggestion. Never knew it was there before but it's a good suggestion. I think dalchina, your previous answer that putting the computer to sleep from within the Start Menu itself is the reason why it's going to be there when it awakes. Consequently, I'm going to take your advice and to that route which seems to be the more logical way. Merry Christmas to both you folks and all the best in the new year.

Maggidon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu

1. Start Menu - Similar Threads - Start Menu

2. How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu: Starting next month and available as a preview right now, Windows 11's Start Menu will show promotions for certain apps. This time, advertised apps will show up in the recommended section of the Start Menu of the operating system. The new placement complements the...
  3. I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.: I click on start, I see a list of apps. I've tried moving several apps like the Calc, calendar, 3d viewer and many more. If I try to drag them to a folder, it shows a white box with a red circle with a diagonal line through it. I can't move these apps to a folder. NEXT, I...
  4. I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.: I click on start, I see a list of apps. I've tried moving several apps like the Calc, calendar, 3d viewer and many more. If I try to drag them to a folder, it shows a white box with a red circle with a diagonal line through it. I can't move these apps to a folder. NEXT, I...
  5. I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else: Hello there,I am running Windows 11 Home 23H2. I am using a Logitech G815 keyboard. All my apps and Windows are updated regularly. I checked a couple of videos of YouTube for help, but unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue. At this very moment, I am typing...
  7. My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else

My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else: Hello there,I am running Windows 11 Home 23H2. I am using a Logitech G815 keyboard. All my apps and Windows are updated regularly. I checked a couple of videos of YouTube for help, but unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue. At this very moment, I am typing...
  8. On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.: I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't available in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Choose what the power button...
  9. On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.

On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.: I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't available in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Choose what the power button...
  10. Need help fixing right click IN the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help fixing right click IN the start menu: While trying to fix a prior issue i descovered that my right click has refused to work in the start menu. To clarify i can click on the start menu just fine its in the search in the menu that the right click is not working. the menu that is supposed to pop up after the right...