Windows 10: Start menus & type to search

Discus and support Start menus & type to search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Thought I would show what Win10 Start menus can be (& do, soon*). The content is a wee bit different because, one is 1903 & the other is the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Drew1903, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Drew1903 Win User

Start menus & type to search

Thought I would show what Win10 Start menus can be (& do, soon*). The content is a wee bit different because, one is 1903 & the other is the latest Fast Track Insider Build. *With the IB can see Start typing to search. This reminds of Win8 when one could just type 'in mid-air' & it would go search after 2 or 3 characters. Well, hit Win (key) and just type. In the example, I hit Win & typed 'bananas'. Just an alternative to Win+S or going directly to Search; suppose does mean one could go without the Search icon on the taskbar, though, it's often nice to see the whole Search panel/window @ the onset, depending where you want to go @ that moment.

NB: The caveat here is to notice Start's Right Pane is gone

Start menus & type to search 527fa8be-5d99-49af-b62e-b499a88e74b6?upload=true.jpg Start menus & type to search 593a55b4-a793-4f3d-ab8a-653b21d300f3?upload=true.jpg
    Start menus & type to search 04f5c245-a5ac-427d-8543-91031c1c75af?upload=true.jpg

Cheers,
    Drew
    Start menus & type to search 13da5641-7b93-4ffe-b2da-db72c986621d?upload=true.jpg

:)

Drew1903, Jun 3, 2019

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jun 3, 2019
  3. search menu in start

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, we'd like to clarify the following information:

• When was the last time you are able to type on the search menu?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?

Let us try the methods below and observe.

Method 1: Run Start Menu Troubleshooter.

Run this Start Menu Troubleshooter to automatically fix problems with Start Menu.

Method 2: Run System File Checker and DISM commands.

System File Checker is a Windows utility that allow users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Follow these steps for instructions:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    If SFC did not find any violations it's still a good idea to run DISM Restorehealth. For instructions, please follow these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth and hit
      Enter.
    Keep us posted.

Antoneth Ber, Jun 3, 2019
  4. Start menus & type to search

Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Start menus & type to search

1. Start menus & type to search - Similar Threads - Start menus type

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Issue with "Type here to search" in windows start search engine

in Cortana
    Issue with "Type here to search" in windows start search engine: Hello,My search engine in the bottom left next to the windows start logo, is not letting me type anything. This problem also seems to be occurring for the search engine in my computers documents "Quick Access". I've tried troubleshooting the problem under administrator under...
  4. I cant type in any settings menus or in the windows search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cant type in any settings menus or in the windows search bar: I cant type in the windows search bar or any windows setting menus. I watched a few videos on youtube and they didn't resolve the issue. How do I fix thos...
  5. type to search not working can not type in type to search

in Cortana
    type to search not working can not type in type to search: It randomly happened that i couldn't type in type to search bar and i tried doing sfc /scannow and it said some fiels are corruptedand said it repaired them but it didn't....
  6. start typing to search

in Windows 10 Customization
    start typing to search: hi Microsoft: I like to know that I do not have start typing to search on my start menu in Windows 10 2004 as in here, https://i3g4v6w8.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/start-typing-search-windows-10-20h1.jpg. Where can I get that on mine?...
  7. How to turn on the automatic - start typing to search - search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to turn on the automatic - start typing to search - search: Hey all! Forewarning, I don't know the technical name of this feature which has made it super hard to try and fix. Currently, when I search in the File Explorer it makes me press a little right-pointing arrow before it actually searches. I'm used to typing in the word and...
  8. HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working: Typing in my start menu and search box from the taskbar doesn't work. Search within explorer works fine, I have tried reindexing but to no avail. Symptom: Press start key (or click menu) type gimp only g appears in the search box, pause for a second no search results and...
  9. Start sub menus

in Windows 10 Support
    Start sub menus: stop Code: Start sub menus[/quote] in w10 134029
  10. Start menu typing search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant search start menu by typing 1903