Windows 10: Start no longer working

Discus and support Start no longer working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have had Win 10 installed and working well until this past week, when the Start button on my keyboard and the on screen icon no longer work. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ddemento53, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Start no longer working

I have had Win 10 installed and working well until this past week, when the Start button on my keyboard and the on screen icon no longer work. The screen icon will turn dark yellow with either touch or pen, but it does not open. I can right click it and get to that menu, but left click does nothing. Other than resetting Win 10, any known fixes for this?

:)

ddemento53, Dec 1, 2015

2. Windows 10 Start no longer working

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

This issue can be fixed by Windows Updates. Please refer to the suggestions by
    Sharath Srinivasa replied on January 23, 2015 in the link given below.

Start menu doesn’t appear

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Start no longer working

Has anyone found an easy fix for this? I thought Windows 10 was supposed to mitigate these kinds of problems. Why won't a Windows update simply resolve the problem? I think there is a Mac in my future.

DavidPainterYZ, Dec 1, 2015
  4. JEB
    Jeb Win User

Start no longer working

I have a similar problem. When first installed, Windows 10 and Start Button / Menu seemed to be fine. After a few days of OK operation, something changed. The Start button is now white (used to be blue), a left click does absolutely nothing. A right click brings up a menu that looks like something from Win 7. There re no tiles, no Settings and lots of other stuff that seems to be missing. Any comments / suggestions would be welcome.

5. That is exactly what happened with my installation, except that I have had Win 10 installed since the day of initial release. It was after the most recent Win 10 upgrade that this occurred...though I cannot say that the upgrade was responsible for the functional change. Of note, the secondary menu (from the right) also no longer functions.

ddemento53, Dec 1, 2015
  6. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Dec 2, 2015
  7. locutus Win User
    Same problem here.
    After the update to 10586, the start menu and apps stop working after some random time using the computer...
    A simple restart solves the problem, the event viewer says that the shell experience host is hanging... Windows even needs to force close something called "background task host" when i try to restart in this state. Anyways, when this happens everything else seems to work normally, only the windows start menu, and built in windows-apps not.

locutus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start no longer working

1. Start no longer working - Similar Threads - Start longer working

2. My Windows 11 Start Button is no longer working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows 11 Start Button is no longer working.: Hello,Since yesterday my Windows 11 Start Button is no longer working.It animates when I click it, but nothing else happens, also, my taskbar keeps switching on and off.I don't know wheter tht is relevant or hs anything to do with the problem, but two days ago I had Windows...
  3. Start Menu no longer working 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu no longer working 20H2: I updated my windows 10 Pro to version 20H2 this morning and now my start menu is no longer working. I have tried other accounts on the PC and they appear to be working fine, so it's just affecting my main account. Anyone experienced this or have a fix? Many thanks 169078
  4. Settings button no longer working from start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings button no longer working from start menu: After a recent update, the settings button no longer working, Bluetooth button no longer working. Can only add a device through the control panel....
  5. Pin to start no longer works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin to start no longer works: After the last windows 10 software update, there are several problems. The most annoying is that the pin to start no longer works. Can that be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-to-start-no-longer-works/f1ca1526-ce8a-4e4b-a8da-f8ac03219fde
  6. Task Scheduler no longer working, Unable to start.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task Scheduler no longer working, Unable to start.: Can't install any application that use the task scheduler service. It is no longer running and I can't determine what has caused it to stop. I have checked the event viewer for anything related to the task scheduler stopping and could not find any results. This appears to...
  7. Start menu and Edge no longer work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and Edge no longer work: I initially installed KB4517389 without a problem. However, I coincidentally experienced problem with a Personal Cloud that I suspected could be due to the update and I uninstalled the update. The server problem turned out to be drive failure, and I reinstalled the update but...
  8. calc.exe no longer starts

in Windows 10 Customization
    calc.exe no longer starts: I am using Windows 10 pro and when I try to start the built in Calculator the app immediately shuts down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calcexe-no-longer-starts/e97a627d-5489-47f0-aff3-fa06ec9d8837
  9. Start, Store, Edge no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start, Store, Edge no longer working: I have had Windows 10 since it was available, and everything was working fine til just recently. Edge, Start, store, Cortana, no longer work. I did find a fix on You-Tube ( using powershell), that was only temporary, at best. It seems to work for a few minutes when I boot up,...
  10. Start menu no longer works

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu no longer works: My Win10 Start menu no longer works with my main user account. It still works under other user logins. It doesn't open whether I hit the Windows key or if I click the Start button. Any clues? 17088