Windows 10: Start panel icon size

Discus and support Start panel icon size in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There are various sizes available for buttons on the Start panel. I've created a bunch of icons for some of my folders. When I resize them to small on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FenceFurniture, May 12, 2016.

1. Start panel icon size

There are various sizes available for buttons on the Start panel. I've created a bunch of icons for some of my folders. When I resize them to small on the Start panel they are only about ¼" square, but I note that many of the supplied app icons take up the whole ½" square available in the small size.

Is there a way to get my custom icons to show up bigger in Start? They are all 256x256 pixels, so they are plenty big enough (they show as a 1" square on the actual folder when I use "Large Icons" in view). FOr some of them I'd like to be able to fill the 1" square size on Start for "medium size".

Cheers
    FF

:)

FenceFurniture, May 12, 2016

2. Text size at 250%

Right click Start icon, Control Panel (with View By: Small icons
    selected), Display. You can change text sizes there.

Gerry C J Cornell, May 12, 2016
  3. Possible to Change text size of customization windows? - NOT Magnifier

Hi,

Yes, you can increase the font size in the start menu by following these steps:

Go to Control panel, then click on the 'view by' option in the top right and change it to large icons. Click on display and you should be able to change the test size under the option 'Change only the text size'.

Bennet Martin, May 12, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Start panel icon size

For tiles you should use 256x256 pixel .png and an XML .VisualElementsManifest file.
    See this tutorial from @Hopachi at Eight Forums(he's also very active here in Ten Forums too!): Solved Custom Tiles (for Desktop Apps)

Start panel icon size [​IMG]
    Information Here is an example from one of mine:
    the png I chose to use saved as Skype,png:

***You can use this XML file as a template and just change the names in bold***
    Code: <Application xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'> <VisualElements ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo='on' Square150x150Logo='Skype.png' Square70x70Logo='Skype.png' ForegroundText='light' BackgroundColor='#343434'/> </Application>[/quote] In NotePad, save as Skype.VisualElementsManifest
    Both must have & use the EXACT same name as the application executable and have to be placed in the same folder as the executable:

Lastly my tile(with some others I have created.

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  5. Thanks for that Cliff. So does that mean that the icons I have for folders have to remain is the ¼" squares when they are "small", because they are not executables (just ordinary old folders)?

FenceFurniture, May 13, 2016
  6. HEY! WAIT! It works for folders. I had to add .xml after .VisualElementsManifest. Just have to add the png and xml into the folder that the target folder is in (which in this particular case was straight to C drive).

That's great - thanks very much Cliff!

7. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome. Yep I even have created tile packs for .bat files such as:
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Start panel icon size

One thing I left out(sorry) is to delete the old tile shortcut in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs first right click the executable(or file) and select pin to start. If it doesn't pin after 2-3 tries, reboot(this clears the system cache) and try it again.

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  9. Hmmmmm. This is particularly bizarre. I had one folder working nicely. Then I unpinned it to show my partner how this is done, and NO MATTER WHAT it will not allow itself to be re-pinned (this is a folder). The only way I could find around this was to rename the folder (changing the png and xml data as well). But wait for it......all I did was change the name to lower case........

Perhaps a reboot might clear the cache out for that as well, so I'll try that (because for this folder it creates problems on another level if the name changes - Visual Basic Macros......).

EDIT: Yes, a reboot fixed that problem. I also had an allied problem when I had hidden the png and xml files before I had pinned the folder to Start - big mistake. Results in once more not being able to pin it without a reboot. However, once everything is set up it's no problem to hide the files.

10. Cliff, do you know if there is a way to pin files to Start? Right click doesn't bring up that option, but given that they are just shortcuts being handed to Start you'd think there was a way of pinning them there. Same goes for pinning to the taskbar - there's one Excel file in particular that I'd like to pin there.

BTW, this all comes about because of the PITA desktop icons jumping around like they've got St Vitus dance. (yeah I know - Desklock - 'cept it ain't foolproof by a helluva long way and it also makes it a pain to drag stuff onto emails or anywhere else....).

Once I've got this sorted out I only have to find out how to make Win 10 remember my folder sizes and positions on-screen.......despite several questions on several forums I still can't find an answer to that.

11. Cliff S New Member
    For a file, right click and select Send to desktop, which creates a shortcut.
    Then right click the shortcut, and select Cut.
    Then paste it in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    It then shows up in the All apps portion of the Start Menu.
    Find your file right click, select Pin to start.
    Done.

Took me a couple of minutes to find a work around, but I have messed around in the Start Menu\Programs folder enough*Smile

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Oh crap!!!

Note I almost forgot to tell you, when you Delete the file, make sure you delete the shortcut first, because you could have problems later getting rid of it, as the file no longer exist that's connected to the tile & short cut. This happens with desktop icons too.

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  13. Start panel icon size

Champion! That was a missing link for me, and all is good! Tomorrow I'll fool with trying to get a custom button in there for that as well.

Thanks again Cliff - excellent assistance!

14. Cliff S New Member
    Glad to have helped. Now watch out, creating custom tiles, becomes addictive!

Cliff S, May 13, 2016
  15. Errrr, yeah, I already worked that out two days ago.......*Biggrin

Do you know if there's a solution to this:
    I mean, it's the dumbest thing about Win 10 (apart from the desktop icons jumping around - that REALLY sucks)! No problem in XP remembering the sizes and monitors they were displayed upon.

Thema:

Start panel icon size

1. Start panel icon size - Similar Threads - Start panel icon

2. Icon sizes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icon sizes: I downloaded a 2020 upgrade to my embroidery digitizing program, Embird. It also has an iconizer which shows pics of my designs when I look in Windows Explorer. Until I upgraded, the icons could be made into several appearances from list to extra large icons. Since the...
  3. Settings Panel changes size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings Panel changes size: Last coouple weeks my Settings panel changes size. Not sure what is causing it. When I open it, it comes up Maximized. If I minimize it, it goes to about 1/3 size it "normally" is (see screenshot). If I resize it then reboot its OK and is the same size, but at some point...
  4. Strange icon on START panel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange icon on START panel: Hi Sometimes , after enter on Windows , if i go on start menù i see the strange icon like "minecraft" style. What is? i check with antivirus but nothing found , the same with adwcleanr or malwarebytes.. IS a miner hack? like that can use for bitcoin or other..? what is?...
  5. icon size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    icon size: My Pandora app is tiny on both my app site and the taskbar. I have windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/icon-size/eccce19c-3ddf-4749-b69c-956e5bb66dec
  6. How to Make Hidden Icons Panel Size Automatic/Elastic?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Make Hidden Icons Panel Size Automatic/Elastic?: How the size of the Hidden Icons Panel (on the Taskbar) could be changes to resize automatically? As I drop a new icon in the Hidden Icons Panel, the Panel Size stays the same. The new icon moves down below/behind the taskbar and could not be seen or access, however, the...
  7. Default Icon Size - Pin to Start

Default Icon Size - Pin to Start: Is there a way to change the default icon size for the apps that are pinned to the start? I only ever use the small ones, and not that I do it a lot but it's super annoying when I do a clean up and have to resize every app I pin....
  8. Icon size

Icon size: I have been setting up a newer computer and I have setup the recommended size for the display (1360X768) but the desktop icons and all displayed items seem to tall to me. Is there a way to adjust these so they not so tall? Thanks Ben 63368
  9. icon size

in Windows 10 Support
    icon size: The 3 default icon sizes still too large to my liking. Can reduce size further by pressing Control and turning the mouse wheel. After restart, however, they are back to Large and the arrangement on the desktop all mixed up. Who can help ?? 24602
  10. How to change the size of the icon on the Start Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the size of the icon on the Start Screen: As shown in the Picture below, How to I make the icons for the tiles on the start screen the same size as the tile itself? As you can see the Risen 3 icon is the full side of the medium square wher as the rest of the games the icon is smaller and centered. Is it also possible...