Windows 10: Start screen instead of desktop

Discus and support Start screen instead of desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a setting that will always take me to the Start screen instead of to the Desktop?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bear1547, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Bear1547 Win User

Start screen instead of desktop

Is there a setting that will always take me to the Start screen instead of to the Desktop?

:)

Bear1547, Apr 15, 2020

2. How to set Windows 10 to boot to Start Screen instead of desktop?

Windows 10 Boot to Start Screen

When you start your Windows 10 PC, it will automatically boot to the desktop.

Steps to make Windows 10 boot to Start Screen:

Step 1: Go to replace the Start Menu with the Start Screen.

Step 2: Turn on the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog.

Right-tap any blank area on the taskbar, and choose Properties in the menu.

Step 3: Deselect related setting in the Navigation settings.

Click the Navigation tab, deselect the setting called When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start, and then choose OK.

Later, when you restart or log in your PC, the computer will boot to Start Screen instead of desktop.

Pradeep Trout, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Most desktop app icons missing from the Start screen

Yeah, that's just a reference - instead of making an All Users user (like public or default), the just point to Program Data as the root folder (tip: launch command prompt and enter
    set

You can see the associations in the list of environment variables.

Don't let me distract you from the issue though - keep focus on the Start list. I'll keep throwing out tidbits *Wink

After rebuilding the index, try the toggle Start switches suggestion ... one suggestion at a time - let me know if /when the list is 'healed'
    One of these will be a workaround even if it's "wait for 10.0.136" *Eek

Slartybart, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Start screen instead of desktop

Desktop is default on start-up and app closing

Hi Ed,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Please be informed that it is as per the Windows 10 Operating system
    design.

If you wish to access the Start screen similar to Windows 8.1, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open the settings menu.

• Click on Personalization.

• Select Start from the left navigation pane.

• Turn on the Use start full screen.
    After performing above steps, if you click on the Windows button at the top left corner on the desktop screen, you may access the Start screen similar to Windows 8/8.1 Operating system.

If you have any suggestions about Windows 10, I suggest you to post your valuable feedback about Windows 10 in feedback app. So, that it will be helpful for the developers to integrate the changes suggested by you.

Open start menu, type Feedback app in search bar and click on feedback app to open it. Post your suggestions in feedback app.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Start screen instead of desktop

1. Start screen instead of desktop - Similar Threads - Start screen instead

2. Black screen instead of bootloader, then start

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen instead of bootloader, then start: Hello, I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" (you know, the blue menu with white font) menu (with the two...
  3. HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP

in Windows 10 Customization
    HOW TO BOOT WINDOWS 10 TO START SCREEN INSTEAD OF DESKTOP: Before myriad 'improvements' to Win 10, there used to be a way to change startup options using Task Bar properties. That's no longer there. MSCONFIG and Settings appear to have nothing. I rarely go to my Desktop unless I'm using an app. It would be highly convenient if...
  4. Computer chimes instead of starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer chimes instead of starting: The computer is a lenovo thinkpad yoga that uses windows 10 and keeps chiming instead of starting https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wE-UNqI0xOe3ugiDXwTC7IbNv_vNwgiH/view?usp=drivesdk...
  5. How to setup my desktop as default display instead of using the start menu

How to setup my desktop as default display instead of using the start menu: How to setup my desktop as default display instead of using the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-my-desktop-as-default-display-instead/b99e864c-0fee-4b86-8570-105ca2691ecc
  6. How to set Windows 10 to boot to Start Menu instead of desktop?

How to set Windows 10 to boot to Start Menu instead of desktop?: this use to be option before but i cant find it anymore in windows 10 i have pro version and nothing , any suggestions i prefer live tiles rather than desktop...
  7. Start up/desktop screen changed

Start up/desktop screen changed: So I turned on my computer this morning and instead of my start up taskbar and screen - I'm assuming Microsoft - changed it to their generic screen and startup with all their sales pitches popping up. Does anyone know how I get back to my desktop screen with all my...
  8. Unable to minimize to desktop; sends me to start menu instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to minimize to desktop; sends me to start menu instead: My apologies if this isn't the right category; I wasn't really sure where to put this. Not very good with these things, honestly. Anyway, for one thing my start menu is stuck on full-screen, despite the fact that I never set this to happen and the settings say it isn't on....
  9. Black screen instead of desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen instead of desktop: Hi, When I boot my pc sometimes I get a black screen. But by pressing ctr alt & delete I can log out, and then login and its then OK. Can any one please help. I have reset my pc but its still the same. 21458
  10. How to get Windows to display start screen instead of start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Windows to display start screen instead of start menu: On startup, I have it set to display the Start Screen without the Start Menu. When I exit an app the Start Menu is displayed and I have to click the Windows icon to once again display only the Start Screen (tiles only). 17857