Windows 10: Start screen search has frozen

Discus and support Start screen search has frozen in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The search function on the Start screen has locked up. Typing a few letters does bring up search results - but I can go no further. Nothing can be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Blitz#r, May 12, 2020.

1. Blitz#r Win User

Start screen search has frozen

The search function on the Start screen has locked up. Typing a few letters does bring up search results - but I can go no further. Nothing can be selected as mouse clicks have no effect.

Also, just recently, the search function is bringing up some odd "promo" for Microsoft Rewards - whatever that is. I can't get rid of it as mouse clicks have no effect on the close button. I am also seeing a "What's Happening" promo that I have no use for. I can't dismiss it either as its close button also does not respond to a mouse click. All I can do is exit the search panel via the Escape key.

The machine is running the latest version of Windows 10.

:)

Blitz#r, May 12, 2020

2. Frozen Computer

Hi,

We would like to know the status of the concern you have posted here in the Community forum. Kindly answer the following questions for us to provide you with an accurate troubleshooting suggestions.

• When you turn your computer ON, on what screen does it freezes? If you can, kindly post here the screen shot of this frozen window.
    • Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to encountering this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, May 12, 2020
  3. Haider Win User
    Start up screen frozen after installing windows 10

Hi,

Can someone please suggest a solution:

I've a sony laptop cum tablet (ultra book) with intel core i7 processor. I updated to Windows 10 today (previous version Pro windows 8). The install was successful but after the install my start up screen started flickering. I shut down and restarted the laptop and now the opening screen is frozen at the log in page which says- 'fast access, face recognition'. The camera is also not working to recognize the face. I'm also not able to log in manually. (I used to have face recognition mode with pro windows 8)

The laptop is not shutting down any more and don't accept alt+cont+delete command.

Kindly suggest.

Regards

Haider, May 12, 2020
  4. Start screen search has frozen

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Start screen search has frozen

1. Start screen search has frozen - Similar Threads - Start screen search

2. Frozen screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen screen: Bios then save and exit now screen frozen ? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-screen/d8d7f090-7b20-46a2-a5a3-f458aec655c6
  3. Frozen screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen screen: Bios then save and exit now screen frozen ? Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-screen/d8d7f090-7b20-46a2-a5a3-f458aec655c6
  4. frozen start up screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frozen start up screen.: since ive downloaded the new windows 11 update ive been having issues with my laptop loading up. i cant access my log in screen for days or hours. i have to let it sit just to get it to respond. is anyone else having these issues since the new update and if so can you help?...
  5. frozen start up screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frozen start up screen.: since ive downloaded the new windows 11 update ive been having issues with my laptop loading up. i cant access my log in screen for days or hours. i have to let it sit just to get it to respond. is anyone else having these issues since the new update and if so can you help?...
  6. Start element "frozen" on my screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start element "frozen" on my screen: I'll attach an Imgur link here: https://imgur.com/a/tOsfbHe I tried making a shortcut on my desktop by first pining the app to start, then I tried to drag it. After multiple tries it's frozen on my screen. (As shown in the picture) I'm assuming a restart will fix...
  7. Windows 10 frozen screen on start up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 frozen screen on start up: For the post few days, whenever I want to start up my Windows 10 pc, the screen freezes and refuses to show the password box. Instead it displays the generic background, and clicking anywhere refuses to bring up the password box. I need to wait around 10 minutes or so for the...
  8. Frozen Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frozen Screen: My laptop has a frozen black screen after it was downloading an update all it now shows is a black screen with a pop up window stating to "insert external media and then OK" but nothing happens....
  9. media centre screen has frozen and has locked mouse out due to frozen pop up

media centre screen has frozen and has locked mouse out due to frozen pop up: Background. I use Windows Media Centre to record my TV shows and watch them later. when turn on my system, the list of my recording is up. For years, I need to clear a regular pop up as the system thinks it has not had a clear Chanel signal and may not have recorded the...
  10. Frozen screen

Frozen screen: My screen on my windows 10 is frozen before the welcome screen its jjust a picture of a dessert scene there is no password box nothing to click on at all what can i do...