Windows 10: Start search doesn't show files

Discus and support Start search doesn't show files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello there, I'm having an issue that's more an annoying thing than really an issue. Nevertheless, I hope you can help me with it. When I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Japeroen, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Japeroen Win User

Start search doesn't show files

Hello there,

I'm having an issue that's more an annoying thing than really an issue. Nevertheless, I hope you can help me with it.
    When I want to search in Windows 10 by pressing start and just typing, no files like .docx's or .mp3's, or just any personal files, are found. I think the only items that are found are items in the Windows settings and things like that, and installed programs. I do find what I search for when I click on 'Search in my stuff' (I hope this is the right translation), but I just want the results immediately. As far as I know, Windows 7 did that without a problem. Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thinks I have tried so far:
    1) Check at indexing options whether the right folders are getting searched (they are).
    2)The 'Always search for file name or content'-box is ticked in options in Windows explorer (even though this isn't really what I'm trying to achieve)
    3) Reconstructing the index
    Again, I hope the translations of the terms are correct, if they are not, I hope you still understand what I mean.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Japeroen, Mar 18, 2016

2. Can not see My desktop apps in start menu

I am unable to see any desktop applications( like chrome, mozilla, adobe etc.) either in my start menu or in search option of start menu. Whenever I enter any desktop application name in my search, it doesn't show me the application, instead it shows
    me only online options of any file related with that keyword I entered in search. I have to search the exe file of the software in the folder where it is installed and then create a shortcut of that application on desktop. This is really a hectic. How to fix
    this problem.

NikhilSJoshi, Mar 18, 2016
  3. Harshal06 Win User
    Wifi Not Responding

When i switch on the wifi it does not searches ne of the wifi arounds.It only shows Mobile Connection.After sumtime when i try to search it again it starts searching n then doesn't show nething not even mobile connection also.It just keeps on searching n
    searching and when i try 2 open file manager it hangs....

Pls can ne 1 help me....?

Harshal06, Mar 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

The solution is to use a different program. Cortana's search (My Stuff) seems to be limited to what's indexed.. far from ideal in my view.

I suggest
    a. Classic Shell start menu - properly represents a hierarchical start menu with subfolders (which the Win 10 menu fails to do) and provides a search box which behaves as you want if you elect to search for files and folders as well as everything else.
    b. Everything by voidtools (fast indexed search, much preferred to Windows search by users, and faster, more flexible and accurate)
    - I use Locate32, similar indexing.
    All freeware.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Start search doesn't show files - Similar Threads - Start search doesn't

2. Files on D: drive don't show on Start-search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files on D: drive don't show on Start-search: When I press the Windows key and search for something, only the files on the C: drive appear. However, all my files are stored on my HDD, which is the D:, and if want any I have to manually fetch them which is awfully inconvenient for they do not appear in the search...
  3. Files on D: drive don't show on Start-search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files on D: drive don't show on Start-search: When I press the Windows key and search for something, only the files on the C: drive appear. However, all my files are stored on my HDD, which is the D:, and if want any I have to manually fetch them which is awfully inconvenient for they do not appear in the search...
  4. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  5. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  6. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Cortana
  7. Windows Start Menu Search doesn't show search results for some categories

in Cortana
    Windows Start Menu Search doesn't show search results for some categories: Hi, My Windows Search bar the one on my taskbar isn't showing my any results for only some categories. If I start typing just a few letters I immediately get results for apps, settings, and people if applicable, but even if I type just 2-3 letters and ask for results within...
  8. Program doesn't show in search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program doesn't show in search results: When I search for a program from the Start > Search menu, a specific program that is installed in my computer doesn't show under the letter of its name. What can be the reason? Is the problem on the program or Windows'[ATTACH] end?...
  9. File Explorer Doesn't Show Up in Cortana Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Doesn't Show Up in Cortana Search: I have a user in my organization that is having a problem with File Explorer. Before, she would be able to use the Cortana search bar, type in a few letters leading to File Explorer, and it would usually pop up as the top result. Now, it shows 7-Zip File Manager and File...
  10. Start > Windows doesn't search for files in other hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Start > Windows doesn't search for files in other hard drives: When I search for programs on the search function when you hit the windows button it only searches for files found on the same harddrive I installed Windows on (C: SSD 120GB). I have all my other files, pictures games movies etc on my E and F harddrive. However when I...