Windows 10: Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart

Discus and support Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; MODS.... PLEASE DO NOT MERGE THIS WITH MY ORIGINAL THREAD. I RECEIVED NO HELP THAT WORKED AND IF YOU DO MERGE IT, THIS WILL GET BURIED AND MY QUESTION... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BananaFrappe, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart

MODS.... PLEASE DO NOT MERGE THIS WITH MY ORIGINAL THREAD. I RECEIVED NO HELP THAT WORKED AND IF YOU DO MERGE IT, THIS WILL GET BURIED AND MY QUESTION WILL NOT GET RESOLVED.

Windows 10 Home
    version 1803
    OS build 17134.285

When I reboot or restart, some of my Start Menu tiles occasionally blank-out... by that I mean the icon disappears. The "blanked"tiles still take me to the appropriate app or link, but they is no icon or text label (if Medium or larger). I can easily regenerate the icon by resizing up/down and the icon is back. Then I can resize back to my preferred size for that tile.

It does not occur with every reboot, and it is not always the same tiles. But so far every single time the "Microsoft Solitaire Collection" that comes with the Win10 install has lost its icon at reboot/restart.

How do I fix this?

I've been told that this is a known bug of version 1803. Is this true? If so, how can I fix it? This is becoming quite annoying.

This is a relatively new computer. Only 4 weeks old and has every update available, except the October one which hasn't popped up in my Update Notification yet.

So far I have tried the following which DID NOT WORK......

1. Rebuild the Icon Cache in the Command Prompt.

a. Press ‘Windows key’ and type ‘Command prompt’.

b. Right click on it and select ‘Run as administrator’.

c. Copy and paste each command one at a time on the command prompt, and press ‘Enter’ after each command:

ie4uinit.exe -show
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
    DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
    shutdown /r /f /t 00

2. Reset all file associations to Microsoft recommended defaults.

a. Press ‘Windows key + I’ together to open ‘Settings’.

b. Select ‘Apps’.

c. Select ‘Default apps’.

d. On the right side, under ‘Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, click ‘Reset’.

I have read that other people have had this issue. How did they solve it? How do I solve it? I am going crazy.

:)

BananaFrappe, Oct 6, 2018

2. Live tiles not working on my new laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Does this issue persist with all the Live tiles icon?
    • Are you able to view the different app’s tiles icon on Start menu?
    I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if issue gets resolved:

• Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
    • Right click on the Tiles and click “turn live tile on”.
    • Repeat step 2 on the desired tiles.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Oct 6, 2018
  3. Tile fixing

This what we used before to arrange the tiles to our liking. Now when we restart the computer all tiles are stacked on the left and NOT how we left them. Something has changed. Is there some way to "lock" the tiles in the way we we left them?

Sandgnattoo, Oct 6, 2018
  4. Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart

why do windows 10 tiles constantly lose icons

Many start screen tiles in Windows 10 constantly lose their icons. Not all just many of them. I can get them back by resizing the tile and then resizing it back, but that only results in others or sometimes the same ones losing them a day or sometimes
    days later. Ideas?

DonBradley_179, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart

1. Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart - Similar Threads - Start tiles lose

2. How to change Start menu tile icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  3. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  4. Start menu tiles are refreshing after reboot.

Start menu tiles are refreshing after reboot.: Ever since i reinstalled windows ive been having a problem with the start menu. My tiles are refreshing after i reboot no matter if i unpin them or replace them with another tile / app every time i restart my computer i am greeted with the default tiles given by microsoft....
  5. Microsoft tiles are losing icons in Windows 10

Microsoft tiles are losing icons in Windows 10: I found a few close posts, but they're locked. First Skype's icon in the systray began disappearing, now the Office icons are missing from their tiles. In both cases, the tiles and systray are still work, they're just blank. In the case of the menu tiles, they have the...
  6. Start Page Tile Icon Question?.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Page Tile Icon Question?.: Hi, I was adding a new shortcut and rearranging things on my start page tiles and somehow got the new tile icon for handbrake into the existing one for Control Panel. This resulted in two smaller icons in the same tile. I fiddled about and got Handbrake into its own tile but...
  7. No icon on tile

No icon on tile: When I pin the Crome exe to start menu all is well, but if I change the size to small it will lose the icon and tile is faded? Anyone have a fix for this? 32331
  8. After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???: I have been working with my computer with Windows 7 Pro for manyyears without any problem. My graphics card is the GTX 570 from Asus. It uses Nvidia drivers. After upgrading to Windows 10 i am having problemswith the view of Windows menus and pages. After every restart...
  9. Tiles on start page resize and rearrange on reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tiles on start page resize and rearrange on reboot: I searched for this but nothing turned up. The tiles I've put on the start page for various apps (all resized to small) and arranged in groups are rearranging themselves randomly and resizing to medium each time I reboot. I can't find any reason for this. Also, is it possible...
  10. Tiny icons in Start screen tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Tiny icons in Start screen tiles: I was trying to figure out why the Start screen looked odd--and then I noticed the app icons in the tiles are about 1/3 the size they were in Windows 8, so you've got (for example), a tiny W for Word in Windows 10 vs a more visible W in Windows 8.1. Only appears to apply to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 tiles disappear each reboot

2. tiles disappear after restart

3. windows 10 i add icons to start but then they disappear on reboot

4. windows tiles lost after restart,
  5. why are the tiles i selected get changeds after a reboot to laptop,
  6. windows tiles reboot,
  7. when I arrange my start menu tiles after restart it goes back to default