Windows 10: Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update

Discus and support Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After manually installing the latest update using the Windows 10 Update Assistant, my previously configured tiles on the Start panel were lost. It now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ColinHalliday, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update

After manually installing the latest update using the Windows 10 Update Assistant, my previously configured tiles on the Start panel were lost. It now only shows a small, default, subset of tiles.

I have dragged and dropped the tiles I require back onto the Start panel, but after rebooting they have all disappeared again.

Another issue is that, when I first drag a tile onto the Start panel, it cannot be moved after first being dropped, until I move another tile that was already on the Start panel. Then I can move the newly-added tile to the preferred position.

:)

ColinHalliday, Oct 5, 2018

2. Live tiles not working Windows 10

I tried your suggestions, but when I got to the 'Apps & Features' list, none of my tiles were listed.

Thank-you for trying to help.

DorothyFabi, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with:

Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update [​IMG]

All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-b988cd6da49a

I tried every step in their. After all said and done, I got installed programs to show up, but the live tiles that usually show to the right did not come back. I was ok with that, thinking I would work on this today and find a solution to that problem.

I just woke up the computer again from sleep and the start menu is blank AGAIN. Before this started happening last night, I have not installed any new software nor has windows ran any updates.

I'm at a loss. I tried system recovery and to roll back to a few days prior, but I keep getting an error after recovery is attempted stating that windows recovery wasn't able to fully complete due to a certain file (i can retry recovery and post picture of error if needed).

So any suggestions on whats my next step? I thought maybe I had a malware issue, but II have avast and malware antibytes installed and they showed no hits when the scans where run.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a Great Turkey Day!

PS, I have to work today from 4pm to 6am, so If I do not reply right away I apologize.

Dalumberjack03, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update

Windows 10 start tiles are cut in half!

Hi Kraig,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Does this issue occur with any particular tile or all tiles?

I suggest you to Unpin and then again do pin to start.

I also suggest you to run system file checker scan and check the issue.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt (Admin).
    • At the Command Prompt, type:
      sfc/scannow

Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update

1. Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update - Similar Threads - Start Tiles retained

2. Loss of tile icons on the Start page after the first October 2020 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Loss of tile icons on the Start page after the first October 2020 update: I have lost the tile icons/logos on my Start page after the above "upgrade". What I get now for most tiles is a black square with a first letter of the link of that tile, followed in some cases by number 1. 2 or 3. When I look into Programs and Settings in the Control Panel,...
  3. Will my product key be retained after updating Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will my product key be retained after updating Windows 10?: Hi, I am planning to update my Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909 using Windows installation iso. I already have Windows 10 Pro with a oroduct key. So, after updating, will my product key be retained or will I have to enter it again....
  4. Windows 10 Tile Start menu crashes after trying to move tiles.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Tile Start menu crashes after trying to move tiles.: Hi, recently i did a fresh windows install and i noticed when trying to move the tiles in the start menu it misbehaves and crashes instantly, i updated my integrated graphics drivers and rebooted my computer but everytime i try to move or change tiles to another group the...
  5. Windows 10 not starting after October 2019 update

Windows 10 not starting after October 2019 update: After the Oct 8 update of Windows 10 on my home edition desktop, on restart the machine does not boot up. After the manufacturer screen, the blue windows logo appears on the black screen and stays stuck there with no hard drive activity. I have tried the below options and...
  6. How to recover after October 2018 update computer will not start Windows 10

How to recover after October 2018 update computer will not start Windows 10: After an October insider update in October Windows 10 rebooted but will not load OS again. As an interim I installed Windows 10 on my drive D to recover work. I now need to understand what I have to do to get back to normal operations. Any help would be greatly...
  7. Windows 10 crash after October update

Windows 10 crash after October update: Windows 10 crashed after October update. Possible conflict with Kaspersky Internet Security 2015. System restore, factory reset nothing is working. Retrieving files from command prompt. Looks like a clean install is the only way out. My question is, my laptop came...
  8. Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Tiles not retained after Windows 10 October update: After manually installing the latest update using the Windows 10 Update Assistant, my previously configured tiles on the Start panel were lost. It now only shows a small, default, subset of tiles. I have dragged and dropped the tiles I require back onto the Start panel,...
  9. Start Menu Tiles not Updating.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Tiles not Updating.: Any solutions when the start menu tiles are not updating/changing. The tiles are live but they dont update. 15324
  10. Windows tiles in start menu move after program update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows tiles in start menu move after program update: Hi there. If I instal a newer version of a program the tiles for the program in the start menu move right down to the bottom and leave a gap. I have all key programs organised in the start menu in categories so they are quick to get to. Is there anyway to avoid having to...