Windows 10: Start up / Boot problem - Bios issue UEFI / Legacy Wrong drive default

Discus and support Start up / Boot problem - Bios issue UEFI / Legacy Wrong drive default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; TEMP - Will addimages shortly Hi All, Had a few problems with a driver that messed up this machine. All sorted, but have had intermittent boot issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by supermonkey, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Start up / Boot problem - Bios issue UEFI / Legacy Wrong drive default

TEMP - Will addimages shortly

Hi All,

Had a few problems with a driver that messed up this machine. All sorted, but have had intermittent boot issues ever since.

Sometimes it doesn't boot correct, showing the Windows "preparing automatic repair screen!. I then go to "troubleshoot", then "advanced options", then "UEFI firmware settings", then restart. This brings up the boot options menu from which I can select the correct drive.

I checked "msinfo32" which shows that windows is set to legacy mode. So I thought I would check the BIOS settings match.

It seems that I can only turn legacy on or off, I cannot turn UEFI on or off?

As the images below show, the correct drive options are set under legacy, but it seems windows tries to boot in UEFI, fails then tries to repair.

I can set the legacy mode off, but

:)

supermonkey, Dec 16, 2018
  2. dac81048 Win User

Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Dec 16, 2018
  3. Ramuettan Win User
    Return to Legacy from UEFI - BIOS

Hi There

A while ago I was helped here to change from Legacy to UEFI. However, since then it seems, the Laptop (Latutide E6420) is running a bit slowly which was otherwise very quick until then. Now, it takes nearly a minute or so to boot up or shut down or even
    to close a file. Just a couple of days ago, I updated the latest BIOS for this machine recommended by Dell.

I tried to go back to Legacy but the system was asking me to reset to UEFI or face boot problems. One advise said that I could disable 'Secure Boot' in Boot Manager and reset to Legacy. However, the Boot Manager is listed under UEFI Boot process and it only
    starts Windows. Is there any way as easy as I changed it? This is absolutely under the hope that all will be as normal as it was in the beginning. Please give your thoughts and advice. Thanks.

Ramuettan, Dec 16, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Start up / Boot problem - Bios issue UEFI / Legacy Wrong drive default

[Problem] UEFI card on a legacy BIOS Mobo!

AFAIK, almost all UEFI video cards have hybrid BIOSes so they will work with either UEFI or legacy motherboards. If it was a UEFI only card, then it wouldn't even boot in a legacy BIOS motherboard.

newtekie1, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

Start up / Boot problem - Bios issue UEFI / Legacy Wrong drive default

1. Start up / Boot problem - Bios issue UEFI / Legacy Wrong drive default - Similar Threads - Start Boot problem

2. UEFI boot start up issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot start up issues: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  3. UEFI boot start up issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot start up issues: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  4. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  5. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  6. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  7. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 legacy boot problem

2. what is default start up setting on win 10 UEFI or Legacy