Windows 10: Start up Failure of Win 10 upgrade from 7

Discus and support Start up Failure of Win 10 upgrade from 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Folks. I have an Dell Inspiron N 7110 that I use for taxes and banking mostly. Its been great the other night it got unplugged and battery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MnSD, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MnSD Win User

Start up Failure of Win 10 upgrade from 7

Hello Folks.

I have an Dell Inspiron N 7110 that I use for taxes and banking mostly. Its been great the other night it got unplugged and battery drained overnight... on startup I got an error message 0xc000000f. Which has started me on the journey here. Laptop is 64 bit architecture. Intel machine i5 chip 4 processors. Lots of memory.....over 1/2 disk space empty 512 gig hard drive

Started with Win 7 Home Pro at purchase of laptop upgraded at the beginning when Win 10 Home offered way back when have had no issues updating and the laptop is up to date as of last week. I do have the original product key for win 7 Home pro its in the bottom of my laptop...where I think if I was smart is a great place for the win 10 key if I ever get this running again.

The laptop starts then gives me the error. I can boot into the bios all is fine there it seems.

In safe mode I have run CHKDSK no errors there. It wont log at the end but it says No errors on disk.

I can boot into safe mode so I have tried both with and without networking
    Tried several diagnostics and have got a version of win 10 connected via a usb memory stick...it lets me select an os Win 10 64 bit does the agree to license screen and then when I select upgrade or custom I pick upgrade and the computer tells me this upgrade option is not available. I have attempted a couple fixes from MS Forum based on the error message. 0xc000000f I specifically paid attention to the number of 0 as it seems to matter.

Should I try to install and use the win 7 product code ? Is the system intuituve enough to acknowledge the upgrade from there. Id be booting from safe mode with networking?

Thoughts and apologies for posting jn General Catagory as it seemed to fit a few places?

Mike

:)

2. lse123 Win User

is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool said all OK and continued OK with upgrade... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all OK for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?
    and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

lse123, Mar 18, 2021
  3. is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but
    the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool says all ok and continued ok... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all ok for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?

and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)

is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

Lse123polis, Mar 18, 2021
  4. n2bn2b Win User

Error Message when updating from Win-7 to Won-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Mar 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Start up Failure of Win 10 upgrade from 7 - Similar Threads - Start Failure upgrade

2. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win 7: Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 or 11. I get to the download tool and when I try to open it, I get an error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win-7/33a030e5-ec18-4d25-8168-f0f73e62b8e3
  3. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 7: Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 or 11. I get to the download tool and when I try to open it, I get an error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win-7/33a030e5-ec18-4d25-8168-f0f73e62b8e3
  4. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  5. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  6. upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure

upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure: getting the error "failed in SECOND BOOT, MIGRATING DATA step" when trying to upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10. any idesa on how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-7-to-win-10-failure/5897582e-19f6-4dd0-a905-db07ffc929b9
  7. upgrade to win 10 from 7

upgrade to win 10 from 7: I upgraded briefly about 2 years ago from 7 to 10 and then within an hour went back to win 7. Since that time my "setup backup " and thus backup would not complete.. a couple of days ago after some digging i was getting error code ox80041321 for which after trying a couple...
  8. upgrade from win 7 to 10

upgrade from win 7 to 10: I have an existing desktop computer running with windows 7. I purchased a new windows 10 dvd. My windows 7 is win 10 compatible. All the help ie videos etc seem to be based on using the windows "media creation tool" and not the official Microsoft dvd. If anyone can guide me...
  9. Upgraded from Win 7

Upgraded from Win 7: I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 via the free upgrade a few years ago. Do I need to keep my original Win 7 installation disks & Product key? 131586
  10. Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 failure

Upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 failure: When using a genuine Microsoft supplied flash drive to upgrade from a registered version of Win 7 Pro All updates checked and installed, starts "checking system" process then generates error message: "Setup has failed to validate the product key" Can not do clean install...