Windows 10: Start up Password and MS Account

Discus and support Start up Password and MS Account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why do I have to put a password and email address into my new laptop when it starts? I have never had to use an email address and password to start a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bronco58, Jul 18, 2019.

1. bronco58 Win User

Start up Password and MS Account

Why do I have to put a password and email address into my new laptop when it starts?

I have never had to use an email address and password to start a computer since I left work 12 years ago when we ran a very large number of public machines. Why does a private machine need this information?

Why do I need a MS account? I don't use Outlook (I use GMail), Office ( Libre Office is as good if not better) or Edge.

I use Chrome and had a battle - with my own machine - to install that. How dictatorial that some company on the other side of the planet can tell me I can't use a different browser from the one they say I have to use. Absolutely astonishing and disgusting.

SO ---

Query no1. How can I just switch the machine on and get to the home screen as I do with the machine I'm using at the moment. This runs Windows 7 and doesn't, never has, needed a password in all the time since I bought it as a new machine.

Query no2. How do I get rid of a MS Account which I don't want?

Windows 10 is a retrograde step and, as I have the Windows 7 disc from this pc, I am greatly tempted to put that onto the new laptop or reformat it and install something Linux.

I stupidly thought I was buying a machine with my own money for my own use but it appears I was totally wrong - I have bought a machine that Microsoft wants to control. Windows is only an OS for goodness sake - not something which should dictate how the owner should use it. That is the prerogative of the person who paid for it and who owns it. I've used Windows since 2.2 but 10's control over what I want is a step too far and I will have to consider my OS options if I can't have control of my own work.

Human Rights? Forget them. MS is in control. (None of the categories below is relevant which says something too - Do Not Query us - We are MS!! So goodness knows where this will end up.)

* Moved from Community Participation Center

:)

bronco58, Jul 18, 2019

2. Microsoft Account Password

I'm drowning in passwords starting with Microsoft. I have two laptops and a tablet. Each has a different password. Can I setup the MS account to have the same password applicable to all three if my Windows 10 devices only. I want this for home use and
    not on public pc's. Can anyone suggest a web page with step by step Instructions. I don't need it to share bookmarks, desktop pictures, fonts, etc.

CliffordSanford, Jul 18, 2019
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Jul 18, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Start up Password and MS Account - Similar Threads - Start Password Account

2. How to fix MS account that has no password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to fix MS account that has no password?: I was setting up a computer for my grandson and lost internet connection just as I was setting up his MS account. The name is in the system but no password and I cannot access it to set the pw. 136981
  3. MS Accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Accounts: I had a previous MS account and I think it was being hacked at one time, so I closed out the email address it was under though through the ISP as I moved out of state. Now I need to know if this account is still "open" as I try to login and MS is stating this account does not...
  4. Android start up password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Android start up password: I have had my android for 3 years and now it suddenly asks for a password on the home screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/android-start-up-password/270338f8-dfe5-4365-a065-976d3e1d1598"
  5. How to change Windows 10 start-up/lock screen password, NOT account password.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change Windows 10 start-up/lock screen password, NOT account password.: I have a laptop and desktop, both of which are associated by my Windows @live account. I want to change the password that I enter when first turning on the device or when awoken from sleep/lock-screen. The password for each device is different and I know its not the @live...
  6. is my win 10 password the same as my ms account password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    is my win 10 password the same as my ms account password: Hi, My surface pro 3, which is running win 10, is unlocked. I am using it to make this query. But, I need to know my password for this machine to hook it into my pc. I never lock it, so I haven't needed to use my Surface log-in password. Is it the same as my MS Account...
  7. PASSWORD ON START UP

PASSWORD ON START UP: How do I prevent windows from asking me for my password on START UP ONLY? I did not used to have to sign in, but now I am asked every time I start the computer. THANKS...
  8. "Start up Password Required"

"Start up Password Required": My father is running a 23 inch H-P All-In-One computer running Windows 10, with 8 GB of RAM memory and a 1TB hard drive. Today he called me and told me that he turned on his computer, and a black screen is displayed with a WHITE message box in the middle of the screen. The...
  9. Password Problem at Start Up

Password Problem at Start Up: I downloaded/installed Windows 10 yesterday. Everything went smoothly and it was up and running in under 30 minutes. The only problem appeared to be that the desktop icons were jumbled up. I then discovered that VPN wouldn't work. Everything else appears to be working...
  10. Reverse set up - Remove MS Account

Reverse set up - Remove MS Account: When I updated to Win 10 (from Win 7) I used my Microsoft account when setting up Windows 10. I now realise I do not want this. Can I reverse that action? 20904