Windows 10: Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window)

Discus and support Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I run a VPN on my desktop which autostarts when I boot up, using the VPN's included software. This opens a window showing me that I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terpleton, May 20, 2017.

1. Terpleton Win User

Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window)

Hi all,

I run a VPN on my desktop which autostarts when I boot up, using the VPN's included software. This opens a window showing me that I am connecting and general details. Usually, I immediately close the window, which has the effect of the program minimizing to the system tray, where I can see its icon and know I'm connected. Recently I decided I was tired of closing this and a few other windows from programs I have set to run on startup, and made a task that runs them minimized on startup. The others minimize directly to the system tray, so there is no icon in the taskbar. My VPN software however, shows the minimized window icon, because the window isn't actually closed. I was wondering if there is a way to either start the program without actually opening the window, or close the window right away after opening, but without actually killing the program. I am using cmd to open the program right now, so if there is something I could add or another command I could execute that would be great.

Thanks

:)

Terpleton, May 20, 2017

2. Getting this error on start up. ( Error in c:\program files (x86)\intel\bluetooth\btmshell.dll Missing entry: tray app) How do I fix this?

(Error in c:\program files (x86)\intel\bluetooth\btmshell.dll Missing entry: tray app) Getting this error message on startup. How do I fix this?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / System Tray]

Pattymelt52, May 20, 2017
  3. Customizing notification area in windows 10

Let me try to explain the issue a little clearer. When I start Microsoft Office, for example, the icon shows up in the system tray. I have the option to hide the icon or to always show it in the tray. After upgrading to windows 10 quite a few of install
    programs are missing from the select list, and therefore I cannot show or hide the icons for those programs I started. I am not referring to programs that are always running in the background.

M TWalters, May 20, 2017
  4. Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window)

I know there are utilities to send windows to tray, but I can't think of one (other than maybe 'Actual Window Manger' or 'Display Fusion' - I am not even sure of these but I can sure check for you) that sends it to the tray on startup unless one of the two I just mentioned can.. Did you try a simple google search for what you want? I know it can be done with an AutoHotKey or AutoIt3 script. Also, depending on the dependencies, RunHiddenConsole.exe might be able to pull the job off

EDIT: which VPN are you using? did you look at their manual or search their site to see if the .exe or whatever starts the VPN has a silent or straight to tray mode?

hAirypAulsAck, May 20, 2017
Thema:

Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window)

1. Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window) - Similar Threads - Starting program directly

2. System tray programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System tray programs: Recently, i removed my taskbar and replaced it with a dock and now i can't see my system tray. Are there any programs that can show me my Windows system tray? ( I'm not talking about stuff like task manager. I want something cleaner and simpler that just show's me what's...
  3. System tray programs

System tray programs: I have disabled my taskbar and replaced it with a dock and now i cant see my system tray. Are there any programs to show me my system tray? (I'm not talking about stuff like task manager but more simple like the tray is) submitted by /u/GomotianuGod [link] [comments]...
  4. (Program Req) extra system tray

(Program Req) extra system tray: I have a lot of programs in my system tray. I want to better organize them. Windows doesn't seem to have a way to add a second tray, unsurprisingly, but I figure there's a 3rd party program that can do something close to what I want. submitted by /u/Battezu [link]...
  5. Uninstalled program, but system tray icon is still there...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstalled program, but system tray icon is still there...: Hi all, I am actually asking this for my Dad who is running Windows 10. He had downloaded (from a website) and installed a sound program (Voicemeeter) but it didn't do what he needed so he uninstalled it and restarted his computer. However, despite restarting, an icon for...
  6. Uninstalled program, but system tray icon is still there...

in Windows 10 Support
    Uninstalled program, but system tray icon is still there...: Hi all, I am actually asking this for my Dad who is running Windows 10. He had downloaded (from a website) and installed a sound program (Voicemeeter) but it didn't do what he needed so he uninstalled it and restarted his computer. However, despite restarting, an icon for...
  7. How To Start Program In Tray That When Minimized Alr Goes Into Tray

How To Start Program In Tray That When Minimized Alr Goes Into Tray: ok so I understand that the title may be confusing but let me explain. I have a program which takes mouse movement and puts it on a linear curve and I use it for playing fps games. If I launch the program it opens maximized as usual but its different in that when minimized it...
  8. How To Start Program In Tray That When Minimized Alr Goes Into Tray

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Start Program In Tray That When Minimized Alr Goes Into Tray: ok so I understand that the title may be confusing but let me explain. I have a program which takes mouse movement and puts it on a linear curve and I use it for playing fps games. If I launch the program it opens maximized as usual but its different in that when minimized it...
  9. Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray

Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray: I'm having a weird issue with CoreTemp at startup on my new Windows 10 64-bit PC. I'm using it to display the temp and CPU load in my system tray. I have it set to run at startup, and I have "start Core Temp minimized" selected. Yet during system startup the CoreTemp Window...
  10. Start Outlook to system tray at logon

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Start Outlook to system tray at logon: Hello to everybody, What I would like to do is to start Outlook 2016 at logon minimized to the notification area (system tray) ONLY. I have tried it in 3 different ways: 1. Created a task to run after 1 minute from logon. <Command>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft...