Windows 10: Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted

Discus and support Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode, but when doing so and asked for my password it will not work. I normally use a pin code. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hoggorm, May 18, 2016.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted

Hi,

I would like to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode, but when doing so and asked for my password it will not work.

I normally use a pin code. The only password I can remember to have used on this machine is the password used with Microsoft OneDrive and it is not accepted when trying to log in... This password is however accepted when starting normally (without Safe Mode).

Any ideas what can be wrong and how I can access Safe Mode?

:)

Hoggorm, May 18, 2016

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Are you trying to disable the password for the user login and trying to set the PIN?
    • What issue are you exactly facing?
    Please elaborate the issue and post us back to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 18, 2016
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

I wouldn't want safe boot to start. I need it to disable so I can use my PIN. Can you help me with that?

I press enter to change to normal mode when restarting. Doesn't work either.

My account doesn't have a Safe boot password either.

MarjorieDavid, May 18, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

Hmmm, not going to speculate on what's wrong.

But if your logon that works in normal mode is ok, then simply change the password for the account and re-try in safe mode.

Or,

Remove the password in normal mode and retry booting to safe mode, do what you need and restore afterwards,

RWOne, May 18, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    My suggestion only.

If you have time, please do a Repair Install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, May 18, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, May 18, 2016
  7. Hoggorm Win User
    Thank you for all help.

I was finally able to use my OneDrive password when starting in Safe Mode with networking

This was possible even though I was not actually connected to any network...

Hoggorm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted - Similar Threads - Starting Safe Mode

2. Password not accepted in windows 10 safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password not accepted in windows 10 safe mode: I was trying to boot into safe mode and windows 10 would not accept my password. I would like to get into safe mode. Windows home, only one account. (I am having trouble uninstalling applications and thought to try it in safe mode.) Thanks....
  3. safe mode won't accept password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    safe mode won't accept password: I followed these instructions to boot into safe mode to deal with a graphics driver issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode This seemed unnecessarily complex, but I was reassured by the checkbox for "make this change...
  4. Safe Mode won't accept correct password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Safe Mode won't accept correct password: I'm trying to run a third party software (AVG Internet Security) cleanup file that recommends Safe Mode. Yet, when I get to the Safe Mode lock screen, it won't accept my password (note that I am entering the password, not the PIN - it's the same password that gets me into my...
  5. Safe Mode won't accept correct password

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe Mode won't accept correct password: I'm trying to run a third party software (AVG Internet Security) cleanup file that recommends Safe Mode. Yet, when I get to the Safe Mode lock screen, it won't accept my password (note that I am entering the password, not the PIN - it's the same password that gets me into my...
  6. Tried to start PC in Safe Mode but the password is not accepted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tried to start PC in Safe Mode but the password is not accepted: I have problems with internet connection and decided to start my PC in Safe Mode. Unfortunately it didn’t recognize the password which I am sure to remember and have been using for a long time....
  7. Password not accepted in Safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password not accepted in Safe mode: ***Modify title from: PC password error *** Hi Just restarted my computer on Safe Mode (trying to solve an internet connection problem) and my PC doesn't recognize my long time password. Can you help me? Thanks....
  8. Pc stuck in safe mode & will not accept password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pc stuck in safe mode & will not accept password: My pc is stuck in safe mode, Windows 10 and I cannot get passed the log on screen. I know the password but it will not accept it. When I go to advanced options, I cannot do anything because it asks for the password & everytime I enter it correctly, microsoft tells me it's...
  9. Safe mode windows 10 won’t accept password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Safe mode windows 10 won’t accept password: in normal mode I use a 4 numeral password to enter windows. I entered safe mode. I had a request to enter a password and i entered the 4 digits. After repeated attempts it appeared that it might take yet the response came back stating incorrect password. Choosing an option...
  10. Current password not accepted in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Current password not accepted in Safe Mode: On my laptop computer my current Microsoft password is accepted in Safe Mode without a problem. On my desktop computer it isn't, but my previous Microsoft password is! Can you tell me how to make my desktop computer accept my current password in Safe Mode, please?...