Windows 10: starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside

Discus and support starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a hp laptop recently i bought a Samsung monitor I want to start the laptop I have to open the lid and then start . is there any way in which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Anish Machiraju, Dec 4, 2020.

1. starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside

I have a hp laptop recently i bought a Samsung monitor I want to start the laptop I have to open the lid and then start . is there any way in which I can start the laptop when the lid is closed and my power button is outside please help

:)

Anish Machiraju, Dec 4, 2020
  2. Sher Amo Win User

Waking and Powering on laptop with lid close

Hi,

Closing the lid can result in your Windows shutting down, sleeping or hibernating. You can control the behavior and decide what you want to do, once you close the lid. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you follow these steps on how
    to configure the power option of your device if you want to keep your laptop running even with the lid closed:

• In the Search box, type powercfg.cpl and press
      Enter. This will open the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.
    • Now, in the Power Options window, click Choose what closing the lid
      does link from the left pane.

starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside 23d6d67b-a3ef-4444-a076-00bf166b3471?upload=true.png

• Choose what you want your laptop to do, when it’s running on battery and when it’s plugged in. For instance, under Power button and lid settings section you can find ‘When I Close the Lid’ option. Adjacent to it you can find options to help you define
      power button or lid settings. Once you've selected your options, click Save
      changes button.

starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside 3307afeb-cf65-4fdb-ab36-80e0cc60478e?upload=true.png

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

If you think this was useful, you may "Mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Sher Amo, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Dec 4, 2020
  4. starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside

Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside

1. starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside - Similar Threads - starting laptop lid

2. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.: My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was installed, I no longer can power up the system unless I raise the cover. What changed?...
  3. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.: My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was installed, I no longer can power up the system unless I raise the cover. What changed?...
  4. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  5. How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?: I have an external monitor setup with my win10 laptop and everything works fine and I want to press the laptop power button to power up and start windows with the laptop lid always closed. How do I do this? submitted by /u/cryptotentnew [link] [comments]...
  6. BSOD when closing laptop lid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD when closing laptop lid: I'm running Windows 10 version 20H2, and every time I close the laptop lid, when I open it I get a BSOD with the error IRQL_LESS_THAN_NOT_EQAL. Looking in event viewer, TPM driver has consistently failed with Event IDs 15 & 27, and then seconds later there a several...
  7. Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain: [ATTACH] Have a curious issue regarding configuring a power plan. Have a new Dell Latitude 5501 running 1909. By default its power plan is set to Ultimate Performance, but I'd like a more balanced profile, so I changed it to Balanced. This profile should keep the CPU...
  8. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  9. Lock laptop when lid is closed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock laptop when lid is closed: Hello, Please add to Windows 10 the option to "lock on lid close". Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/lock-laptop-when-lid-is-closed/c9798949-35f4-46f1-afeb-fbf7b2be39c1"
  10. My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?: This problem only started around last week, but I have also had it in the past. Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop (which I have set for the laptop to to enter sleep mode), it seems to sleep normally (i.e. the fan turns off and the power button blinks to indicate the...