Windows 10: StartLayout XML file missing last section

Discus and support StartLayout XML file missing last section in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Run as PowerShell Administrator: PS C:\Windows\system32> Export-StartLayout -Path "D:\Custom_StartLayout.xml" When I open the xml file the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rafisher1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Rafisher1 Win User

StartLayout XML file missing last section

Run as PowerShell Administrator:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Export-StartLayout -Path "D:\Custom_StartLayout.xml"

When I open the xml file the last group "More Readers" is completely missing. All else looks okay.

StartLayout XML file missing last section c1423308-2a27-4a34-a1d9-932709b031b7?upload=true.jpg

Here is the beginning code, first group, last group "eBook Readers" and the ending code.

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
    <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
    <DefaultLayoutOverride>
    <StartLayoutCollection>
    <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">
    <start:Group Name="Calendar">
    <startStartLayout XML file missing last section :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\VLC media player.lnk" />
    <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCamera_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
    <start:Tile Size="4x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.WindowsLive.Calendar" />
    <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
    <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
    </start:Group>
    Skipped five groups for brevity

<start:Group Name="eBook Readers">
    <startStartLayout XML file missing last section :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Calibre 64bit - E-book Management\E-book viewer 64bit.lnk" />
    <startStartLayout XML file missing last section :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.lnk" />
    <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="5957Turnipsoft.freda_ypmq2qh89vmny!App" />
    </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
    </StartLayoutCollection>
    </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

"More Readers" group should follow "eBook Readers" group.

:)

Rafisher1, Oct 14, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the xml file for Start Menu layout has some groups missing. You may want to check the article on

Customize and export Start layout
    and see if that helps.

However, I would suggest you to post you query in our TechNet
    Forum
    , which is a dedicated forum for issues with User Interface and you will find professionals with the expertise on Start Menu customization. TechNet forums would be the right place for you to post this query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Rafisher1 Win User

Thanks Nikhar - that is a big help. I have it working now.

Rafisher1, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Rafisher1 Win User

Run as PowerShell Administrator:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Export-StartLayout -Path "D:\Custom_StartLayout.xml"

When I open the xml file the last group "More Readers" is completely missing. All else looks okay.

StartLayout XML file missing last section c1423308-2a27-4a34-a1d9-932709b031b7?upload=true.jpg

Here is the beginning code, first group, last group "eBook Readers" and the ending code.

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"
    Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">

<LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />

<DefaultLayoutOverride>

<StartLayoutCollection>

<defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">

<start:Group Name="Calendar">

<startStartLayout XML file missing last section :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\VLC media player.lnk" />

<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCamera_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />

<start:Tile Size="4x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.WindowsLive.Calendar" />

<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />

<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />

Skipped five groups for brevity

<start:Group Name="eBook Readers">

<startStartLayout XML file missing last section :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Calibre 64bit - E-book Management\E-book viewer 64bit.lnk" />

<startStartLayout XML file missing last section :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.lnk" />

<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="5957Turnipsoft.freda_ypmq2qh89vmny!App" />

</defaultlayout:StartLayout>

</StartLayoutCollection>

</DefaultLayoutOverride>

</LayoutModificationTemplate>

"More Readers" group should follow "eBook Readers" group.

Rafisher1, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

1. StartLayout XML file missing last section - Similar Threads - StartLayout XML file

2. Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file: Hi, I've been trying to set up a startlayout xml file to set my taskbar the way I want it to be set. I've created the xml file following this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarIt partially works, I'm able to pin Chrome,...
  3. Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file: Hi, I've been trying to set up a startlayout xml file to set my taskbar the way I want it to be set. I've created the xml file following this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarIt partially works, I'm able to pin Chrome,...
  4. Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. download .xml file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    download .xml file: I am unable to download .xml files and changing the setting doesn't work/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-xml-file/e09a3a25-3436-4466-8f2a-918f6ece0a21
  6. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  7. Missing sections in settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing sections in settings: [ATTACH] So my settings looks like this . When i searched for solution i found one post... But it was useless cuz i dont have SettingsPageVisibility on my Registry Editor...
  8. Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly: I'd like to make some changes to the File History config1.xml and config2.xml files to "clean" things up a little ... like sort included folders alphabetically, etc. However, if I edit these four files directory (there are two of each) they revert back to their default values...
  9. .net Missing .xml Files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    .net Missing .xml Files: After Windows installed the recent major build, now when I try to open a module in Access Windows installer opens and tries to reinstall access. I wound it is caused by missing xml files in the Microsoft.net folder that MzTools uses in Access. MzTools is an Access Add-in....
  10. Export-Startlayout cmdlet lacks [-As BIN|XML] parameter on my system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Export-Startlayout cmdlet lacks [-As BIN|XML] parameter on my system: Hi! I'm trying to export start menu to bin file but Export-StartLayout -Path "C:\Marketing.bin" -As BIN says: Code: Export-StartLayout : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'As'.AT line:1 char:45 + Export-StartLayout -Path "C:\Marketing.BIN" -As BIN +...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 5957turnipsoft.freda_ypmq2qh89vmny