Windows 10: StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh?

Discus and support StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've updated a Win7 instance to Win10Pro. The upgrade went without a hitch. On the new instance, I've got three users/accounts, each an 'admin' acct:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by prg, Apr 13, 2019.

1. PRG
    prg Win User

StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh?

I've updated a Win7 instance to Win10Pro.

The upgrade went without a hitch.

On the new instance, I've got three users/accounts, each an 'admin' acct:

Administrator (admin user)
    User1 (admin user)
    User2 (admin user)

I used RevoUninstallerPro -- which uses per-app PowerShell scripts -- to remove a number of unwanted Windows apps, including:

Skype, GameBar, XBox*, Solitaire, CandyCrush*, YourPhone, etc ...

After the removals, those apps ARE gone from the StartMenu for both "Administrator" and "User1".

But they *still* appear in the "User2" start menu.

For example, only in the "User2" StartMenu, I see a "Your phone" icon/entry. If you select it, nothing launches ...

How do you REMOVE the entries for the nonexistent apps from User2's StartMenu?

Removing %temp%/files for the user doesn't change/improve the menu status/contents at all.

Is there a refresh/rebuild mechanism for StartMenu?

:)

2. Startmenu not "updating"

Hey,

I got the following problem:

• Newly installed Programs/Apps will not show up in the startmenu
    • Programs/Shortcuts I add to the Startmenu folders want show in my startmenu
    • Startmenu search won't find the new items either, even not if they are pinned to the startmenu

What I have tried to fix my problem:

• Rebuilding my search index
    • Reinstalling all windows apps, including cortana
    • Try to locate the issue with the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) ⇒ nothing found
    • Running the troubleshooter ⇒ returns "incorrect permissions on Windows Search directoriers"
      • changed the default Search folder where the index is saved
      • checked permissions for the Search folder (seems ok)

What I think initially caused the error:

• I switched from German to English on my Win10 PC
      • I then realised that a lot of my searchable windows settings still showed inGerman and not in English and were in addition not clickable anymore (nothing happended)
      • I could not fix the issue so I switched back to German
      • This made the Win10 settings searchable and clickable again, but since then my Startmenu seems to be stuck on its old index
    I am running Windows 10 Education with the Anniversary Update - which for me removed Cortana (maybe this issue is connected?)

Any help or advise?

Ciaran Baulig, Apr 13, 2019
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Apr 13, 2019
  4. StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh?

Startmenu not "updating"

When I install new apps/programs they will appear in the startmenu. I have a few programs that are not installed though but just .exe files. When I create a shortcut and copy them to my Startmenu folder, they won't appear in my starmenu. Is there maybe
    an additional registry entry that I have/can make to add shortcuts to my startmenu? There must be something more than just the startmenu folder otherwise the newly installed programms would also not be showing up...

Ciaran Baulig, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh?

1. StartMenu has entries for UNinstalled apps -- how to rebuild/refresh? - Similar Threads - StartMenu has entries

2. how to uninstall a app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to uninstall a app?: troubleshooting in uninstall a epic online services, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-a-app/16c7086a-14e7-4b37-bd2a-154d276b84b5
  3. how to uninstall a app?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to uninstall a app?: troubleshooting in uninstall a epic online services, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-a-app/16c7086a-14e7-4b37-bd2a-154d276b84b5
  4. No entries in the startmenu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No entries in the startmenu: Hello!After installing programs, they don't appear in the startmenu. However, they are installed and I can add them manually to the desktop.Is there a way to re-create all startmenu entries?I even reinstalled Windows 11, but the issue persists.Thank you!...
  5. No entries in the startmenu

No entries in the startmenu: Hello!After installing programs, they don't appear in the startmenu. However, they are installed and I can add them manually to the desktop.Is there a way to re-create all startmenu entries?I even reinstalled Windows 11, but the issue persists.Thank you!...
  6. How to remove Active X registry entry after active X has been uninstalled.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove Active X registry entry after active X has been uninstalled.: Active X has been uninstalled from my windows 10 X64 laptop but a registry still exists that CCleaner can not delete. After doing some reading up on this it appears that uninstalled only deletes the main file and not the registry entries. I believe this is a source of...
  7. How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?: I have a number of bogus entries in BCD. Plus I cloned my primary Win10-1903 SSD to create a multiboot system, ran EasyBCD and that's what added all these fake entries. On top of that, it sometimes has trouble booting, I have to hit Cntrl-Alt-Delete to restart the boot...
  8. No list of uninstalled apps after refresh

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No list of uninstalled apps after refresh: I recently decided to refresh my pc to fix some software problems I was having. Although I was prompted that the apps uninstalled would be given in a list on my desktop, once my computer booted back up there was no list on the desktop. Is there anywhere else this list could...
  9. How to uninstall this app?

How to uninstall this app?: [ATTACH] Help me uninstall this app, please... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-this-app/cb743dc7-0d5e-44a9-aa5b-bf68535b34c9
  10. Trying to remove old uninstalled entries in "all apps"

Trying to remove old uninstalled entries in "all apps": I've recently installed windows 10 and I'm trying to clean up the start menu. The issue I'm running into is that the "all apps" has lots of entries of programs that have been long since uninstalled. I've deleted items in the old start menu folders and got rid of some...