Windows 10: Startup Diagnostic Repair Loop After Nvidia Driver Update and Fresh In

Discus and support Startup Diagnostic Repair Loop After Nvidia Driver Update and Fresh In in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Long story short: After a fresh windows install, whenever I try to use my GPU with a Nvidia driver (via GeForce or windows driver update), I get stuck... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Croftyness, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Startup Diagnostic Repair Loop After Nvidia Driver Update and Fresh In

Long story short: After a fresh windows install, whenever I try to use my GPU with a Nvidia driver (via GeForce or windows driver update), I get stuck in startup diagnostic loops.

Rig
    CPU: i7 8770k
    GPU: 980TI
    Motherboard: Asus Z370-E
    RAM: DDR4 2x16G
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
    PSU: Corsair GS 700

Going to bed, my computer was working fine, no hardware or software updates to my knowledge. In the morning (04/06/2018) I booted up my PC and it went straight into diagnostic loops eventually leading to the blue restore and advanced options screen.
    Reset a couple of times to no avail.

Troubleshooting:
    - Initially, I did some googling following some youtube videos. In the end, I decided a full restore would be best. (Restore points, rollbacks and startup repairs didn't work).
    - After the restore, I installed manufacturers drivers for the Z370. However, after installing Nvidia, drivers, the PC force reset and went back into diagnostic loops.

So..

* Note: all other drives, CD tray and USBs are disconnected
    - I formatted and wiped the SSD
    - Reinstalled Windows 10 from an external drive
    *Note: Remove my Razer keyboard as a popup bugged the install
    - Removed the 980TI in-turn to use integrated graphics.
    - Updated windows, installed Nvidia driver via GeForce
    - Mid install, Id get a force restart followed by diagnostic boot looping

Next.

- Installed drivers in safe mode successfully
    - Manual restart out of safe mode lead to diagnostic boot looping

- Swapped out 980 ti for 970
    - Repeated the same process with the same outcome.
    - Tried older drivers around 388, same result.

So after a fresh install, whenever I try to use my GPU with a driver, I get stuck in diagnostic loops.
    Integrated graphics is as stable I can get.

It's probably worth noting that I've had my board, CPU and memory for about 3 months
    SSD about 4 years.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Croftyness, Jun 6, 2018
  2. ilak2k Win User

Automatic Repair Loop after Windows Update on 18/08/2015

After the most recent update, on 18/08/2015, my PC went in to the dreaded Automatic Repair Loop.

Basic boot options like the low resolution mode, safe modes, didn't work.

System Restore didnt work.

Startup repair didn't work.

chkdsk, sfc, boot manager fix, restoring registry from regbackup, bcdedit to disable the automatic repair, nothing worked!

Called Microsoft Phone Support, and they said that, this is the nvidia driver issue and I will have to reset my PC or do a clean install... Im not sure if nvidia driver is causing the issue.

But I did a reset and logged back in. Lost all my programs... I was able to use my PC for sometime...

And within half a day, the most intelligent Windows10, auto updated my PC and while applying update, the screen went black, and restarted itself...

Guess what? I was back in the dreaded loop, again. Was happy with 8.1 Pro... What a pain upgrading to Windows 10?

Someone help me to locate the issue. Is it nvidia driver or something else? If its the nvidia driver, how do i disable it from auto updating via Microsoft Update?

ilak2k, Jun 8, 2018
  3. startup repair failed after update window10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system after installing the updates. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic/startup repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic/startup repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1: Download
    Windows 10 from the below link and create media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Startup repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Startup Diagnostic Repair Loop After Nvidia Driver Update and Fresh In

1. Startup Diagnostic Repair Loop After Nvidia Driver Update and Fresh In - Similar Threads - Startup Diagnostic Repair

2. Startup Repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair loop: Hi, this morning I turned on the pc and I found the Startup Repair screen, I tried to solve the problem by following some tutorials but nothing. I tried to manually fix it with cmd but it just added some OS which requires an admin password. I also tried the "System Restore"...
  3. Startup Repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startup Repair loop: Hi, this morning I turned on the pc and I found the Startup Repair screen, I tried to solve the problem by following some tutorials but nothing. I tried to manually fix it with cmd but it just added some OS which requires an admin password. I also tried the "System Restore"...
  4. Windows startup repair loop BSOD after update Critical_Process_Died

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows startup repair loop BSOD after update Critical_Process_Died: Startup repair, uninstall updates, safe mode and system restore don't work. Maybe first BSOD was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I cannot include windows version number. I don't have any diagnostic files. 184050
  5. Stuck on boot loop after updating NVIDIA driver

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on boot loop after updating NVIDIA driver: I own an Acer Predator Helios 300 and have just recently tried updating my NVIDIA graphics drivers. Upon installation, however, my laptop crashed and is now stuck on a boot loop! It cannot detect the issue either. I also unfortunately do not have any backups of my drive. Is...
  6. nVidia driver - freeze on Windows 10 startup on fresh installation

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    nVidia driver - freeze on Windows 10 startup on fresh installation: i7-2600 6 GB RAM new SSD HDD Fresh installation of Windows 10 Home 2004 (build 19041.264) nVidia GT 545 I installed UEFI version of Windows and everything was OK but when I update graphics drivers screen goes black. I'm able to press enter on end of installation to reboot....
  7. loop nVidia driver update; install and fail

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    loop nVidia driver update; install and fail: Every time I start my PC, Windows tries to install an nVidia driver, and every time fails to do so. I like to stop this continuous loop. Everything on my PC works fine, the standard Windows updates never give problems and I am satisfied with the present nVidia driver. Any...
  8. Windows 10 update, Nvidia Update, Automatic Repair loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 update, Nvidia Update, Automatic Repair loop: Argh! Need help! Windows 10 installed and have an Nvidia grfx card which caused a problem with the driver which I managed to get round. Been using Windows 10 quite happily, until today. PC crashed not long after boot. Last thing I remember seeing was a notification from...
  9. Infinite loop of startup repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Infinite loop of startup repair: So i found a possible repair on fixing the current situation o the infinte loop from this fourm http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html around step 13 it said"If any one of them are 0 bytes, then you should stop what you're doing now and seek an alternative...
  10. Startup Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup Repair Loop: Hi all. I've been using Windows 10 for few weeks now and it's been really good. 8GB Ram 1 TB Hard Disc Asus Motherboard i5 processor Used the PC as I would normally do and shut it down last night. Recently installed the latest update for Win 10 as I recall....