Windows 10: StartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot

Discus and support StartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been going nuts all evening (and all night!) trying to create entries in my StartUp folder. This is something that was trivially easy in prior... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eutectic, Jun 25, 2017.

1. eutectic Win User

StartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot

I have been going nuts all evening (and all night!) trying to create entries in my StartUp folder. This is something that was trivially easy in prior versions (up through Win7), Then, I picked up a new computer at a decent price (cheaper than I could build the equiv.), but, sadly, it arrived with Windows 10 Pro/64 installed. There are a few things that are admittedly nice (such as the ability to have multiple desktops I can easily select), but are in practice, useless (such as the multiple desktops - when are not restored when I reboot, causing several desktops' worth of material to pile up in one desktop).

Today I hit the mother of all PITA experiences. I struggled to add some items to the StartUp folder. First thing I noticed was that I did not notice the StartUp folder. So, much searching online, and I discovered that there are three of them, all nicely hidden.

Nice work, MS! The easier they make things, the harder they get. They never heard thtat, "If it works, don't fix it."

I tried these three locations, two of which can be accessed either via a shell command, or, directly:For "my" StartUp folder:

shell:startup
    or,
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    or,
    C:\Users\[my acct name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And, for all-users StartUp folder:

shell:common startup
    or,
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    What happens is that batch files I copy there disappear at boot time -- with one exception!

That's an entry for VLC -- this is what's in the batch file:

start /HIGH C:"\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" %1
    That was one of the first "test" entries, possibly the first, I can't recall (burnout sucks).

I tried copying the files, moving the files, no difference. Although, possibly unrelated, very frequently I would get a strange roadblock of an error when trying to copy a second file. The first time, I'd get a warning that I needed to give it Administrator permission (even though I'm using an Administrative account), but trying to copy another file, I'd first get that notice -- and after I'd OK'd it, I'd get another warning, this time saying I needed "permission" -- that was it, just "permission" with no hint as to what permission. It would allow me to retry, or cancel, and it stayed in that strange state until I'd reboot the machine.

I spelunked the Registry, the only thing I found that made me go "Hmm..." were the entries in:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\StartupFolder
    There were two entries: one for the "Start - VLC.bat" file, and another for "Start - VLC2.bat" which I manually created (copying the binary data for the entry).

That copy did persist from boot to boot -- but, if I edited the batch file to run a different program, it would self-delete at runtime.

Also strange: before any of these entries would self-delete, they would run the programs (or load the folders or text files as they were expected to load) -- but, they would then terminate the programs, files, and folders before self-deleting the batch files!

I've never seen anything like this, and from all the searching I've done, scant few others have too. And, it "should" work as it had up through Win7, i.e., put it in the StartUp folder and it'll start at boot time -- each boot time. A glorious GUI-matic "autoexec.bat" surrogate. Well, even autoexec.bat was easier than this nightmare!

I ran Windows Update, I ran SFC/SCANNOW, I bashed my head against the wall -- nothing helped (except that it felt good when I stopped bashing my head against the wall).

So, after "the above" I am now officially at my wits end. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong -- or, what MS has done wrong, but how I can work around it?

I hate begging, but... I'm begging!

:)

eutectic, Jun 25, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

Permission and ownership problem

Try to delete each game by it self until the folder is empty then try to delete the folder.

lacrumb, Jun 25, 2017
  3. Permission and ownership problem

It worked! It worked! Why the heck did that work?!

Either way, thank you so much!

JoonsooSin, Jun 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there is a really easy way to deal with this: install Classic Shell start menu (free).

This
    a. exposes the Startup folder so you can deal with it by drag 'n drop
    b. properly handles deep nested start menus (several levels of folders) - the Win 10 menu strips away all folders below about the 3rd level down and lists the shortcuts from them (think
    Help
    Help
    Help
    .... )

- all from different programs.
    c. allows you to manipulate the menu easily in a familiar and intuitive way
    d. provides better and flexible search options (you can't turn web search off and takes more clicks to do a partial search of files and folders in Win 10's)
    e. you can still launch Win 10's with a hot key.

Now, you can use Classic shell just to manipulate the start menu, then close it, then continue using Win 10's.

Or you might just decide you prefer its flexibility and ease of use.

dalchina, Jun 25, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    There are more than 3 - there is this lot as well Code: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run32 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\StartupFolder[/quote] It depends which users and when in the boot process you want them no run. I stick with shell:common startup or shell:startup generally.

I have these permissions - basically Administrators full control and everyone read/execute. I doubt it is your problem if they are running once though. Code: PS C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup> icacls '.\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition.lnk' .\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition.lnk S-1-5-21-2885466168-1308911243-2206185695-1000StartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(DE,DC) MACBOOK\HaliStartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(DE,DC) MACBOOK\AdministratorStartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(DE,DC) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMStartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsStartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(F) BUILTIN\UsersStartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(RX) EveryoneStartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot :(I)(RX) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files PS C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup>[/quote] I've only tried putting shortcuts in startup folder. Does it delete shortcuts to you bat files if you do that?

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. StartUp folder entries self-delete at each boot - Similar Threads - StartUp folder entries

2. Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?: When I run bcdedit I get this result:C:\Windows\system32>bcdeditWindows Boot Manager--------------------identifier {bootmgr}device unknownpath \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFIdescription Windows Boot Managerlocale en-USinherit {globalsettings}default {default}resumeobject...
  3. Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this boot entry ?: When I run bcdedit I get this result:C:\Windows\system32>bcdeditWindows Boot Manager--------------------identifier {bootmgr}device unknownpath \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFIdescription Windows Boot Managerlocale en-USinherit {globalsettings}default {default}resumeobject...
  4. Deleted Boot Entry With EasyBCD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Boot Entry With EasyBCD: Except that I fucking didn't... There were two entries on my sister's Lenovo Yoga 720: "Yoga 720 Win 10" and "960 Evo Win 10" The "960 Evo Win 10" entry is a remnant of when I built her gaming rig. I first test-booted that PC with her laptop's boot drive. Later, I...
  5. Self Deleting Email?

in Browsers and Email
    Self Deleting Email?: Is it possible for someone to send emails that will delete after a given time? I received emails for subscribing to a magazine that I let expire. I signed up for the hard copy and the online version of MaximumPC. I did get a conformation email with a subscription number....
  6. Can't delete or remove a "Folder entry" in "File Explorer"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete or remove a "Folder entry" in "File Explorer": I have around 40 identical looking entries in my "File Explorer" which I can not remove or delete. These entries appear in the File Explorer list between: - Quick Access and - OneDrive I have tried to "delete or remove" the "icons" but can't find a way of doing it. If...
  7. boot loader startup speed on Windows 10 delete the entry Ubuntu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    boot loader startup speed on Windows 10 delete the entry Ubuntu?: How can the boot loader on Windows 10 be set to Windows Boot loader do [ATTACH] [ATTACH] only delete the entry Ubuntu which is visible in BIOS at the startup priority [ATTACH] [ATTACH] That even with Windows 10 the menu that you press...
  8. Self deleting email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Self deleting email: In outlook when replying to an email, both the email I received and my reply deletes as I type https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/self-deleting-email/7595e70c-714e-4ea5-890a-d8846ae725c6
  9. I need to delete some WinSXS folder entries

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I need to delete some WinSXS folder entries: I need to delete some WinSXS folder entries, no questions asked. How do I do that? Taking ownership and rights isn't enough it seems. The last won't work on all folders inside WinSXS. I keep getting errors when applying rights for my username over these folders. "An...
  10. Uknown Startup entry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Uknown Startup entry: Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I'm troubled with the following entry in the startup of my Windows 10 Pro x64: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce] "Uninstall...