Windows 10: Startup Menu tile icon missing

Discus and support Startup Menu tile icon missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Tile of UWP apps does not show icon in startup menu, the tile is blank and just display background colors. Name of app could be displayed only when in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Windows Category - All, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Startup Menu tile icon missing

Tile of UWP apps does not show icon in startup menu, the tile is blank and just display background colors. Name of app could be displayed only when in medium size.

Other informations:

1. Only newly installed UWP apps have this problem.

2. Before the problem shows up, I installed Tile Genie to personalize my startup menu, which can create blank tiles with specified images and add them directly to the startup menu. Tile Genie is a UWP app. I DON'T KNOW WHETHER IT IS THE CULPRIT.

3. I also used "copy /b *.lnk +,," command to create personalized tile for a third party software.

System info:

Windows 10 pro 1903.

What I have tried:

1. bat script but did not work.

@echo off

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

taskkill /f /im shellexperiencehost.exe

timeout /t 3 /NOBREAK > nul

del %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState\* /q

timeout /t 2 /NOBREAK > nul

start explorer

@echo on

2. System File Scan

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

First command told me nothing to fix. The second stuck at 100% and I closed it after an hour. It did not work.

3. reset UWP apps, did not work.

Really need help! Thanks!

:)

Windows Category - All, Feb 8, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Start menu tiles are missing their icons

On Windows 10, the tiles in the Start menu for a few apps are missing their icons, as shown in this image:

Startup Menu tile icon missing fa754192-00cf-407c-afbb-4c91efe5e5cf.png

Sometimes an app tile may be missing altogether.
    Is there a way to get the icons back?

Bennet Martin, Feb 8, 2020
  4. ERI
    Eri Win User

Startup Menu tile icon missing

Windows 10 Start menu tiles (icons) don't move / Pin to start is missing

I am on an Alienware 17R4, running Win 10 Pro x64, Ver - 1803, Build 17134.799, and I have the following issues with the "Windows 10 Start Menu Tiles" (Icons).

1. Rearrangement of Tiles / Icons are not possible anymore through "Drag and Drop".
    2. Right Click (RC) Option to Resize any Tiles is missing, and the only RC option there is the "More" option.
    3. "Pin to Start Menu" Option is mission on the Right Click Option of other shortcut icons in the start menu's Default Shortcut List. So can't make tiles of installed app's start menu shortcut.
    4. "Pin to Start Menu" Option is there on applications (programs/exe's) in Windows Explorer. So can make new tiles in the start menu like this, but the new tiles are created in Med size, and lacks the above mentioned right click options to resize, apart from the option "More", so the tiles can't be resized, moved / rearranged.

These are the steps I have taken so far to fix the issue.

1. Checked Group Policies -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar

a) Prevent changes to Taskbar and Start Menu Settings = Not Configured

b) Start Layout = Not Configured
    2. Windows Registry = Made sure all start menu related entries are correctly aligned to where it's supposed to be.
    3. Created a new user account = still the icons won't move and have the above mentioned issue.
    4. Ran SFC = It can't find any issue with my system's integrity.

OS and all system drivers, including both the display drivers (Intel and nVidia, for both the GPU's) are up to date with Dell's latest driver releases.

Kindly help resolve this issue.
    Thanks in advance.

Thema:

Startup Menu tile icon missing

1. Startup Menu tile icon missing - Similar Threads - Startup Menu tile

2. tile icon of preinstalled apps are missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    tile icon of preinstalled apps are missing: hi I have an Asus tuf laptop and I bought it in December 2020 till January mid it was normal but after that, the tile icon image of preinstalled apps are missing, I tried every possible thing I can do like I checked for updates and I did all the updates available still it was...
  3. Start Menu Chrome Tiles Missing

in Browsers and Email
    Start Menu Chrome Tiles Missing: W10 Ver 1903 On occasion, all my chrome tiles will disappear from my Start Menu...usually following a W10 update. It's very frustrating. I've stopped trying to customize my start menu directly with Chrome shortcuts. My solution is to use standard Windows folders to hold my...
  4. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  5. menu tiles/icons not showing

menu tiles/icons not showing: after windows upgrade my original menu tiles appear on screen then disappear..how to fix??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/menu-tilesicons-not-showing/e71fc57f-b1aa-4f4c-867e-1ac22ba8f67f
  6. Microsoft News tile icon missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft News tile icon missing: My Microsoft News icon has gone blank. How can I restore the picture? ***Original title: Windows 10 News Icon*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-news-tile-icon-missing/cc773e7c-eee6-49a4-9ac8-8f7ef115d978
  7. Why is my Start Menu Tiles missing for?

Why is my Start Menu Tiles missing for?: Why does this happen? I don't think the apps are gone from the computer but I don't see the tiles on there. Why? This happened with the Microsoft Photo App I had to install it from the store. How does this happen? Could it be a virus? Or is it normal for it to do that because...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming: Could I get the best and brightest Windows 10 OS knowledgeable members over to the gaming thread please? Thanks. I have reported it (and others) on the Nvidia forums. Doesn't seem to happen for light gaming for 5 minutes or so (and of course won't happen after playing...
  9. Missing tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing tiles in the start menu: I remember that after I had upgraded to Windows 10, my local account wasn't available and the system logged me in with a temporary profile. Then when I logged in with my account, some of the tiles from the start menu had disappeared. I've tried opening powershell and...
  10. Missing App Tile ICONs

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing App Tile ICONs: Greetings! I'm experiencing an odd issue with my Surface Book with Performance Base where occasionally some of the Start Menu Tiles are missing their ICONs after returning from sleep. The Tile itself is still there and when triggered will successfully launch the...