Windows 10: Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?

Discus and support Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Since three days ago, every time I restart (or start from cold) the laptop, I get a black screen with an error text message on a blue background. Looks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bdbtbb, Dec 2, 2020.

1. /u/bdbtbb Win User

Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?

Since three days ago, every time I restart (or start from cold) the laptop, I get a black screen with an error text message on a blue background. Looks like something related to BIOS, but I am a bit clueless when it comes to the nitty-gritty of hardware.

The error message reads:

Press Y to reset fTPM. If you have Bitlocker or encryption-enabled system, the system will not boot without a recovery key.

Press N to keep previous fTPM record and continue system boot. fTPM will NOT be enabled with new CPU unless fTPM is reset (reinitialized), you could swap back to old CPU to recover TPM related keys and data.

I have not changed CPU. This message just appeared one day (after installing 20H2 update) and I have no idea why (or if 20H2 update is the cause). Obviously I choose No and continue system boot and then everything behaves normally, including Windows updates, etc..

Does anyone understand why I am getting this message and is there something I can do in BIOS to fix the problem, if there is one?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread - am waiting on /acer to accept my join request and in the meantime thought I should post here in case this is in fact Windows-related.

submitted by /u/bdbtbb
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bdbtbb, Dec 2, 2020
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Dec 2, 2020
  3. windows 10 startup problem

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to check if there are any pending Updates.

Kindly perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict and check the status.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the below steps to perform a Clean Boot.

Check in “clean boot” state, to check if any third party application is causing the issue. Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.

Step A:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type
    ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck
    ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option
    ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option
    Load startup items
    check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the
    ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click
    ‘Disable all’

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’.
    In the Task Manager window under startup tab,
    right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step B: Enable half of the services

a) Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b) Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c) Click to select half of the check boxes in the
    Service list.

d) Click OK, and then click
    Restart

Step C: Determine whether the problem returns.

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
    Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
    Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to
    Step 4.

Step D: Enable half of the Startup items:

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step E: Determine whether the problem returns:

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
    Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
    Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the
    Startup Item
    list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step F: Resolve the problem:

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click
    to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step G: Reset the system to Normal startup mode:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type
    MSCONFIG and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the
    ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click
    ‘Restart’.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?

Startup issues since upgrading to Win 10

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I understand your concern and would suggest you to try performing "Startup Repair" and check if that helps. Here is the steps:

• Press and hold Shift key and click on Restart from login screen.
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Select Advanced Options.
    • Select Startup Repair and follow the on screen instructions.
    Let us know if the issue still persists and we'll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?

1. Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related? - Similar Threads - Startup Problem possibly

2. Multiple BSODs problem. Is It possible that this might be hardware related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSODs problem. Is It possible that this might be hardware related: Hi! My laptop have been getting several blue screen crash recently Video TDR failure, nvlddmkm.sys I have performed several diagnosis and I am suspecting that my current GPU might be dying or overheating might be wrong but I am not certain how to confirm if it might be a...
  3. Multiple BSODs problem. Is It possible that this might be hardware related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple BSODs problem. Is It possible that this might be hardware related: Hi! My laptop have been getting several blue screen crash recently Video TDR failure, nvlddmkm.sys I have performed several diagnosis and I am suspecting that my current GPU might be dying or overheating might be wrong but I am not certain how to confirm if it might be a...
  4. Multiple BSODs problem. Is It possible that this might be hardware related

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win lock on startup problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win lock on startup problem: Hello, Please read all so as to not post a response that won’t cover all that I’ve done to my poor desktop.My daughter had been downloading skins on Minecraft and our computer caught the “winlock” virus. I was trying to fix myself and now I get blue box saying put an...
  6. Not exactly Win 10 related -but....

in Windows 10 Support
    Not exactly Win 10 related -but....: Hi, First, apologies if this is not the appropriate forum for this question...... I have a text file with a long list of Song Titles and they are in random Alphabetical order. It is a 'pure' text file with each entry on a separate line with no formatting. I would like to...
  7. Windows 10 Facing a ton of problems (Possibly image or registry related)???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Facing a ton of problems (Possibly image or registry related)???: Hello, my windows 10 home edition is facing problems I've never experienced before. QUICK BACKSTORY: Some windows update a few weeks ago screwed the PC entirely. It resulted in the "undoing changes to your PC" message in a continuous loop before windows could load, so I was...
  8. BSOD - Possibly hardware related?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Possibly hardware related?: Hi all, I have an MSi GT70 20C Laptop that I've had numerous problems with. When I first ordered this laptop it was dead on arrival, and had to be shipped back for fixing. Since i've gotten it back, I have had BSODs ranging from 0-2 times a week up to 6 times in a...
  9. Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Possible Solution to Win 10 WiFi Connection Problems: PC - Toshiba with Atheros AR9002WB chipset. Symptom - After upgrading to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro, my wifi connection started to periodically drop... that is, more specifically, I was unable to access any internet communications. This would happen most often overnight,...
  10. Possible Video Driver Problem Related to Direct X

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Possible Video Driver Problem Related to Direct X: Hi Windows 10 Pro 64bit System Restore off due to SSD Anyways went to try to play an old Steam game, Train Simulator, well it installed Directx 9, well now Virtual dj software won't run, says "DirectX Failed to intilize, please install correct video driver, well I got...