Windows 10: Startup problems

Discus and support Startup problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need some help... I'm not sure what is happening, my windows 10 starts up fine but sometimes it takes a while (like 5 mins) before I'm finished... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nickynoo, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Nickynoo Win User

Startup problems

I need some help...
    I'm not sure what is happening, my windows 10 starts up fine but sometimes it takes a while (like 5 mins) before I'm finished starting up. What happens is that when I start/restart my laptop it goes to my desktop as normal but sometimes (more frequently than 6 months ago) a "script" or something executes, what happens is a box pops up and in the title bar it says something about cmd.exe but the box remains empty until it closes. Like what happens after you install some updates but now this "script" is opening a second cmd.exe window and the two windows alternate between being not responding and responding. Sometimes its quick but generally it takes about 5 minutes. As I mentioned it does not happen every time I boot but it seems more frequent lately.
    I thought it was because of an update that failed to install properly but I don't know how to fix it if that is the problem.
    I also considered a start-up program being corrupted or something in the start-up list of program but again if it is this then I don't know how to fix that.
    I have run sfc /scannow and it does return an error - I run it again and again until it returns no errors, but the problem comes back.
    Please help!

:)

Nickynoo, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Mar 9, 2021
  3. windows 10 startup problem

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to check if there are any pending Updates.

Kindly perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict and check the status.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the below steps to perform a Clean Boot.

Check in “clean boot” state, to check if any third party application is causing the issue. Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.

Step A:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type
    ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck
    ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option
    ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option
    Load startup items
    check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the
    ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click
    ‘Disable all’

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’.
    In the Task Manager window under startup tab,
    right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step B: Enable half of the services

a) Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b) Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c) Click to select half of the check boxes in the
    Service list.

d) Click OK, and then click
    Restart

Step C: Determine whether the problem returns.

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
    Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
    Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to
    Step 4.

Step D: Enable half of the Startup items:

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step E: Determine whether the problem returns:

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
    Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
    Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the
    Startup Item
    list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the
    Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.

Step F: Resolve the problem:

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click
    to clear the check box for the problem item.

Step G: Reset the system to Normal startup mode:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type
    MSCONFIG and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the
    ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click
    ‘Restart’.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Mar 9, 2021
  4. dmccoy Win User

Startup problems

Nvidia driver problem with 940 MX on Windows 10 x64

I would only go back to the driver from the computers manufacturers if you experience any issues with the latest drivers from devie manufacturers.

If everything is still working well with the clean boot then you can start troubleshooting as follows to start:

How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    2. From Start, search for msconfig. (In Windows 10, use the Search box from the Start menu. In Windows 8 or 8.1, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    3. Select msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    4. Tap or click the Services tab, and then tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
    5. Tap or click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    6. Tap or click OK, and then tap or click Restart.
    7. After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through 6, but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service list that you originally selected.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through 6, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the Service list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no service causes the problem, go to step 8.
    8. Repeat steps 1 and 3 in this section.
    9. Tap or click the Startup tab, and then tap or click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Startup Item list.
    10. Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 8 and 9, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the Startup Item list that you originally selected.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 8 and 9, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no Startup Item causes this problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps 1 through 7 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in each step.
    11. After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then tap or click to clear the check box for the problem item.
    From <How to perform a clean boot in Windows>

dmccoy, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Startup problems

1. Startup problems - Similar Threads - Startup problems

2. problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup: Hiya.. for some time now i have some problems with clock on windows 11. Every time i turn on my pc, the time delays for a few more seconds. Like when i do synchronize it, it's alright but then after day it start delaying 5 seconds, next day it starts to delay for around 12...
  3. problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problems with time on windows 11. Time delaying with every startup: Hiya.. for some time now i have some problems with clock on windows 11. Every time i turn on my pc, the time delays for a few more seconds. Like when i do synchronize it, it's alright but then after day it start delaying 5 seconds, next day it starts to delay for around 12...
  4. Problem with Apps downloaded from MS that cannot be Enabled in Startup apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Apps downloaded from MS that cannot be Enabled in Startup apps: I don't understand why my recent thread which was receiving help from an independent advisor was deleted. I just want help. Why can't I enable apps from Microsoft in startup apps? It's so annoying; I only had this issue after the latest update. More details in video from...
  5. Problem with Apps downloaded from MS that cannot be Enabled in Startup apps

Problem with Apps downloaded from MS that cannot be Enabled in Startup apps: I don't understand why my recent thread which was receiving help from an independent advisor was deleted. I just want help. Why can't I enable apps from Microsoft in startup apps? It's so annoying; I only had this issue after the latest update. More details in video from...
  6. Windows Crashing, need help deducing the problem. Startup events could be the cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Crashing, need help deducing the problem. Startup events could be the cause: There are roughly 15 Warnings and Errors I get when booting my computer up revolving around "Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container '{D56C50C1-0F33-11EE-B90E-94E23C939517}'" and other stuff. I don't know to what extent errors like this could be affecting my...
  7. Windows Crashing, need help deducing the problem. Startup events could be the cause

Windows Crashing, need help deducing the problem. Startup events could be the cause: There are roughly 15 Warnings and Errors I get when booting my computer up revolving around "Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container '{D56C50C1-0F33-11EE-B90E-94E23C939517}'" and other stuff. I don't know to what extent errors like this could be affecting my...
  8. I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.: I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.It is continuously trying to automatically restart but is not getting beyond the initial black system information screen.It has an SSD as the main drive and a backup HD.I can get into the BIOS screen by...
  9. I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.: I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.It is continuously trying to automatically restart but is not getting beyond the initial black system information screen.It has an SSD as the main drive and a backup HD.I can get into the BIOS screen by...
  10. I have a startup problem on a Dell Optiplex 9010 following a power cut.