Windows 10: Startup repair failed. Can't reset and keep files - "you need to sign in as an...

Discus and support Startup repair failed. Can't reset and keep files - "you need to sign in as an... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC crashed and the startup repair has failed. I've used programs to see that all the data in my drive is still there, so I want to reinstall windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RyanReed6, Mar 28, 2021.

1. RyanReed6 Win User

Startup repair failed. Can't reset and keep files - "you need to sign in as an...

My PC crashed and the startup repair has failed. I've used programs to see that all the data in my drive is still there, so I want to reinstall windows while keeping my data. I choose this option in the winre, but it tells me "you need to sign in as an administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrators accounts on this PC." The problem is, I cant even get to the login screen as the startup doesn't repair and I can't access the cmd in winre as it says the same thing about administrator accounts. How do I get around this? Any help is appreciated.

:)

RyanReed6, Mar 28, 2021
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Mar 28, 2021
  3. startup repair failed after update window10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system after installing the updates. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic/startup repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic/startup repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1: Download
    Windows 10 from the below link and create media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Startup repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Startup repair failed. Can't reset and keep files - "you need to sign in as an...

Not booting after update, failed startup repair, reset.

Windows automatically updated and then my audio stopped working so as always I tried turning it on and off again but then it got stuck on the spinning thing. I've included a video i you want to see what it looked like.

https://goo.gl/photos/3VQtXAaZ9QN2wev4A, I have not looped the video or added the flashing.

Because this isn't the first time Windows has shit the bed on me I knew to make a repair disc and try to use startup repair. It failed. Next I tried to revert to a previous build. It failed. Next I tried to reset Windows. It failed.

Rerunning startup repair a few times made it do different things but it never worked.

I'm either looking for a solution to this problem or a way to quickly copy all the files off of my boot drive so I can perform a reinstall. (I have an HDD big enough to store the entire boot drive already in the PC)

Thanks

killerhipo, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

Startup repair failed. Can't reset and keep files - "you need to sign in as an...

1. Startup repair failed. Can't reset and keep files - "you need to sign in as an... - Similar Threads - Startup repair failed

2. Startup Repair Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Failed: What to do if start up repair failed?SrtTrail.txt fileStartup Repair diagnosis and repair log --------------------------- Number of repair attempts: 1 Session details --------------------------- System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0 Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS AutoChk Run = 0...
  3. Startup Repair Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startup Repair Failed: What to do if start up repair failed?SrtTrail.txt fileStartup Repair diagnosis and repair log --------------------------- Number of repair attempts: 1 Session details --------------------------- System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0 Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS AutoChk Run = 0...
  4. Startup Repair Failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Failing: My computer needed to restart to update recently, and the auto repair keeps failing and gives the message:"Startup Repair couldn't repair your PCPress 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC or 'Shut down' to turn off your PC.Log file:...
  5. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10...
  6. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10...
  7. Startup Repair Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Failed: My Lenovo Laptop has been having recurring issues of being unable to boot and when attempting to do startup repair it says it is unable to find the issue, I have tried other things too such as bootrec and it has been unsuccessful, if there is anyone that can help with this it...
  8. Startup Repair Failed

Startup Repair Failed: My Lenovo Laptop has been having recurring issues of being unable to boot and when attempting to do startup repair it says it is unable to find the issue, I have tried other things too such as bootrec and it has been unsuccessful, if there is anyone that can help with this it...
  9. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello, Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this. I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately. At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and...
  10. Startup Repair failed with no Log File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Startup Repair failed with no Log File: Hi All, Last night I was trying to shut down Windows, however, it didn't fully shut down and kept logging me back in. I tried going through the start menu and using Alt+F4, to no avail. I decided to forcefully shut down the system by long pressing the power button. This...