Windows 10: Startup Repair Loop, maybe hard drive problem?

Discus and support Startup Repair Loop, maybe hard drive problem? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, this is my first time posting, so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong place. I've tried looking all over for an answer to my problem but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Solirain, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Solirain Win User

Startup Repair Loop, maybe hard drive problem?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting, so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong place. I've tried looking all over for an answer to my problem but I can't seem to find one.
    Since the last update of Windows 10, my computer has been stuck in a loop of startup Repair. I'd really like to avoid clean installing. I'm not sure what information you guys mind need but I am happy to provide whatever I can. Here is a few things that might get things started though.
    Startup repair showed D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
    Using the Command prompt and following the file path I was able to find this in the log:
    Boot manager failed to find OS loader.
    Repair action : File repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0xa
    Time taken = 5797 ms
    Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken = 63 ms

Computer summary specs from Speccy:
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD FX-8320 38 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1) 41 °C
    Graphics
    Standard Monitor (1920x1080@64Hz)
    Storage
    465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device
    Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

Any help you guys could give would be super appreciated!
    Thanks,
    ~Sol

:)

Solirain, Sep 10, 2016

2. Fat 32 and NTFS loop

My laptop is stuck in a loop on startup, I get the stopcode NTFS SILE SYSTEM it then starts an automactic repair and restarts but then gets stopcode FAT FILE SYSTEM again it starts an auto repair and
    restsarts but gets the NTFS stopcode again. I have used themedia creation tool to create a USB drive and adjusted the BIOS to use the USB but it is till running into the same loop. I have tried the hard restart by shutting it off 3 times, but the loop just
    continues. I have tried following previous methods and have not been able to stop the loop. Please help me.

NastyDawg74, Sep 10, 2016
  3. 00griffy Win User
    How to Disable Windows 10 Repair Loop

My computer goes into the scanning and repair drive loop at startup. Eventually, the computer will bring up the "Automatic Repair" menu. I have tried every 'advanced option' except for "Reset". Is there some other way to disable the automatic repair loop?

00griffy, Sep 10, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

If you used Windows Update to update Windows, and you are having this problem, there is a corrupt file in the BCD file, and using the startup repair to fix this issue may not work.

I had this problem when I was trying to fix a Windows 8.1 machine, where it would reboot in startup recovery environment, and the problem was a file for corrupt in the system32 folder. I used my hiren CD, booted into a HDD regenerator program, and found out the hard drive had 325 bad sectors.

You will need to do a clean install to fix this issue. If you want to preserve all of your data, you may want to purchase a new hard disk, reinstall the operating system, and you will be able to access your files on your old hard drive, as long as something didn't happen to the hard disk such as a head crash.

If you don't have installation media, you will need to get on another computer, go to Google and search for Windows 10 media creation tool. Find the link to the Microsoft website. Download the tool and run it, and it will give you the option to copy the install media to a USB or create an ISO to burn a DVD.

Let me know if you need more assistance. If others have a better solution, I welcome it *Smile

lmaneke, Sep 10, 2016
  5. Solirain Win User
    Hey Imaneke, Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy day today, and have only now found time to get back on and post. Firstly, thanks for the help and advice, I Pulled an older hard drive (which happened to be a Seagate 750gb mechanical hdd) out of my older desktop after i did a clean install on it. Got it installed into my newer desktop with the bad hard drive and got it to boot. However, that is currently the only hard drive I have connected at the moment. So secondly, I have never used more than one hard drive before. So how would I go about accessing the files from my other hard drive that won't boot. is there a way to get it to be recognized as a storage device, like an external hard drive or flash drive? I'm new to this so I really don't know much and any further help is much appreciated!

Solirain, Sep 11, 2016
  6. lmaneke Win User
    When you have both hard drives connected, you will need to immediately go into your motherboard bios and set the Seagate 750 GB drive as the primary boot device.

Your motherboard documentation should tell you how to change the boot options. I used to have a 990FXA Gaming MSI board before, but that board has the UEFI Bios. Not sure what your micro atx board has.

When you boot from the Seagate, it will show the other hard disk in My computer or This PC, depending on what version of Windows is on it.

Hope that helps

lmaneke, Sep 11, 2016
  7. Solirain Win User
    Hahah! it worked! thanks so much! i access my bios by pressing the "del" or "delete" key then under advanced bios options I just change the boot order to recognize the seagate first and the toshiba second and it works totally fine, and I'm already accessing my files again! and now I have two drives hahah that almost makes up for all the frustration and troubleshooting. Thank you so much Imaneke I can now call this problem solved!

Solirain, Sep 11, 2016
  8. lmaneke Win User

Glad I was able to help. Good luck.

lmaneke, Sep 11, 2016
  9. lmaneke Win User
    Also, just to make sure, since you transferred the Seagate from an older PC to a new PC, make sure that Windows has reactivated.

lmaneke, Sep 11, 2016
  10. Solirain Win User
    I did make sure and it shows as an active product key, thank you!

Solirain, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Startup Repair Loop, maybe hard drive problem? - Similar Threads - Startup Repair Loop

2. Startup Repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair loop: Hi, this morning I turned on the pc and I found the Startup Repair screen, I tried to solve the problem by following some tutorials but nothing. I tried to manually fix it with cmd but it just added some OS which requires an admin password. I also tried the "System Restore"...
  3. Startup Repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startup Repair loop: Hi, this morning I turned on the pc and I found the Startup Repair screen, I tried to solve the problem by following some tutorials but nothing. I tried to manually fix it with cmd but it just added some OS which requires an admin password. I also tried the "System Restore"...
  4. Windows7 Startup Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows7 Startup Repair Loop: Computer won't boot into windows and goes right into Startup repair. I've tried running a chckdsk \r and same thing. Startup cannot repair this computer automatically here's what I get.Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automaticallyProblem signature:Problem Event...
  5. Issue with repair loop and resetting hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with repair loop and resetting hard drive.: Alright, this might be a bit of a long post, but I am not really sure what the best course of action is here. I bought a Dell XPS 15 in the summer of 2020 and it has been working great. A few months ago I upgraded the storage from 256Gb to 1Tb. About a month after that I...
  6. Automatic repair loop. Bitlocker or drive problem maybe?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic repair loop. Bitlocker or drive problem maybe?: My windows 10 desktop froze and after some time of waiting, I did a hard shutdown. It then went into automatic repair and wouldn't fix the issue. I tried restarting and that didn't work, and I'm now in a restore loop. I tried restoring to a restore point, but I couldn't click...
  7. Bad Hard drive, Maybe?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad Hard drive, Maybe?: My Asus all in one desktop will not boot up and I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and put it on a DVD. It will only go to the blue window page and no further. Is this what happens when the hard drive goes out?...
  8. Windows Startup Repair Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Startup Repair Loop: So I just installed update 1803 a couple of days ago and everything went fine, I then decided yesterday the PC needs a cleanup so I disconnected it, used an air blower to clean it as usual then put everything together and started the PC. I noticed windows took longer than...
  9. Infinite loop of startup repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Infinite loop of startup repair: So i found a possible repair on fixing the current situation o the infinte loop from this fourm http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html around step 13 it said"If any one of them are 0 bytes, then you should stop what you're doing now and seek an alternative...
  10. Startup Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup Repair Loop: Hi all. I've been using Windows 10 for few weeks now and it's been really good. 8GB Ram 1 TB Hard Disc Asus Motherboard i5 processor Used the PC as I would normally do and shut it down last night. Recently installed the latest update for Win 10 as I recall....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ata1: SRT failed (error = 16)