Windows 10: Startup Repair tool operation

Discus and support Startup Repair tool operation in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On the morning of Nov. 13, I opened my 2014 HP Envy TouchSmart 17" notebook to find it locked in a Windows Automatic Repair loop. I ran boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wockyjabber, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Startup Repair tool operation

On the morning of Nov. 13, I opened my 2014 HP Envy TouchSmart 17" notebook to find it locked in a Windows Automatic Repair loop. I ran boot diagnostics and received short DST failure code QC601S-785A9W-MFGH7F-60VE03. This was a first-time lockout occurrence, and I think that Microsoft updated my Windows 10 the previous night I can't get into the Windows GUI to find out. I learned from this Website that a short DST failure could be caused by many things, so I did some further diagnosis on my HDD. I ran chkdsk /f /r on C: drive, and found no significant problems. Windows fixed minor issues, then I ran diskpart sel disk 0, list partition and list volume, and learned that my C: drive is a GPT drive, and all volume partitions are healthy. I also noticed that my HP Envy HDD is happily communicating with the network backup drive WD MyBook Live, even though I cannot access the Windows GUI. Since the HP Recovery utility was unable to help with repairs, I downloaded "Windows 10 bootable Media Creation Tool for another computer" to a USB drive on this notebook, and booted up the HP Envy with it the Envy would not boot to the internal HP Recovery Tool. My plan was to get into a recovery mode Windows 10 GUI so I could access some Windows 10 configuration tools, but when I found a Startup Repair option in the Media Creation Tool recovery selections, I decided to try it again. I started that repair about 13-1/2 hours ago, and it still seems to be running. Right now, I'm looking at a black screen with an arrow cursor that I can move with my mouse, and a normal rotating "working" circle attached to it that randomly blinks on and off fairly rapidly during rotation, while the upper edge of my normally-hidden task bar blinks on and off in a separate random sequence at the bottom of my screen the whole taskbar is not visible. I have the following four questions:

1. How long should I let Startup Repair run before I give up on it and take my chances with a Windows 10 clean install?

2. If I shut down Startup Repair before it is finished, would I risk data corruption?

3. If I stop Startup Repair, how should I do it with the least risk to my system?

4. After Startup Repair is finished one way or the other, I will first try to reboot normally. If that still doesn't work, any recommendations for next steps? I'm a little leery about trying a Windows 10 clean install from the USB drive before I have GUI access to the installed Windows 10.

:)

wockyjabber, Nov 22, 2020
  2. rolfski Win User

Windows 10 Startup Repair is not working: "The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair"

I recently did a clean Windows 10 install after encountering numerous problems, but system file checker (command prompt: sfc /scannow) is still finding problematic files that I cannot get repaired. The log file (SrtTrail.txt) simply reports: "The operating
    system version is incompatible with Startup Repair". I tried the following:

• Create (correct version) recovery media (USB) with the official tool and boot & repair from it, using f12 at start-up
    • Do the same but now after a safe mode reboot..
    • ..and after a clean boot reboot
    Windows 10 Startup Repair simply seems not to be working at all.

rolfski, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Winbook TW802 freezes on startup!

Hi,

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.

Do let us know if you are able to use your tablet. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Startup Repair tool operation

startup repair failed after update window10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system after installing the updates. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic/startup repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic/startup repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1: Download
    Windows 10 from the below link and create media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Startup repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Startup Repair tool operation

1. Startup Repair tool operation - Similar Threads - Startup Repair tool

2. Automatic startup repair tool

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Automatic startup repair tool: Windows goes into automatic startup repair tool when I boot up, but will not proceed without a password. I entered the password and was told it was wrong. I have changed the password countless times yet still told it is wrong?...
  3. Automatic startup repair tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic startup repair tool: Windows goes into automatic startup repair tool when I boot up, but will not proceed without a password. I entered the password and was told it was wrong. I have changed the password countless times yet still told it is wrong?...
  4. Automatic startup repair tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Startup Repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair: Alright, so now I got this laptop to windows 10, few months later it’s having start up repair issues.https://youtu.be/OwCH5J97GV0 I’ve tryed all 3 parts of this series and nothing is working. I can’t give most information about it because I can’t even get into the laptop...
  6. Windows media tool startup repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media tool startup repair: My pc goes into a blue screen everytime I log in but works fine to the login page. So I installed windows media tool from another pc to repair my pc and ran startup repair from my media tool from a USB. It didn't work and even system restore have me some error saying to...
  7. Windows media tool startup repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media tool startup repair: My pc goes into a blue screen everytime I log in but works fine to the login page. So I installed windows media tool from another pc to repair my pc and ran startup repair from my media tool from a USB. It didn't work and even system restore have me some error saying to...
  8. Windows media tool startup repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Startup Repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup Repair: My laptop has been having issues turning on. After performing a Startup repair it tells me it couldnt repair my PC & then says “Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt” any ideas how to fix?Theres nothing i remember downloading or installing lately that could...
  10. Startup repair tool doesn't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup repair tool doesn't open: I'm trying to solve a problem while initiating Windows but when I try to use the ISO file in one USB device to boot it appears the following error : RECOVERY Your PC needs to be repaired The boot Configuration Data doesn't contain valid information for an operating system....