Windows 10: Startup repair wont play after linux grub messup.

Discus and support Startup repair wont play after linux grub messup. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello to the forum with a problem of my own creation. Followed this tutorial ... Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pavl, May 24, 2021.

1. Pavl Win User

Startup repair wont play after linux grub messup.

Hello to the forum with a problem of my own creation. Followed this tutorial ... Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 But Troubleshoot/advanced/startup repair functions but cannot actually do any repair. Reason for invoking = w10p on primary internal nvme drive ... still capable of booting from Grub after a "wrong" linux install to an external ssd. I can get a grub bootloader IF the external drive is connected and from there choose windows and all is fine. Did not intend this to be the method (I note others trying this type of install complaining that Calamares installer makes wrong decisions). The linux install fails to boot as well - but dont care as it was a test - and it is on an external so can just drop the lot and start again. But cannot drop it yet as it seems to be needed to get access to the windows boot. I have tried variations from bios boot order and the normal windows boot location will not boot directly (nor will the linux external either). So wanted to repair the existing windows bootloader - hence following Advanced StartUp ... SetUp Repair. But did not succeed. 20H2 up-to-date and currently functioning as expected ... only the bootloader seems to be the problem. Anyone got a big fat Linux swatter ?

:)

2. Kari Win User

Repair Grub booting, there is probably a chance to?

Startup repair wont play after linux grub messup. [​IMG]

Hej Andry, välkommen till Ten Forums.

Ten Forums är en engelskt sajt, alla posten ska vara på engelska eller innehålla en engelsk översättning. Med det sagt, jag föreslår att du tar det här upp på Ubuntu / Linux forum, för det verkar vara en Grub / Linux problem.

Startup repair wont play after linux grub messup. [​IMG]

Hello Andry, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Ten Forums is an English site, all the posts must be in English or contain an English translation. Having said that, I suggest you take this up on Ubuntu / Linux forums, for it seems to be a Grub / Linux problem.

3. alancsalt Win User
    linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates

I tried:

grub rescue>set boot=(hd0,msdos6)
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
    grub rescue>insmod normal
    error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

ls
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos1)
    grub rescue>set boot=(hd0,msdos1)
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub
    error: unknown filesystem.
    grub rescue>

grub rescue>set boot=(hd0)
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0)/boot/grub
    error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

My limited linux knowledge got me nowhere there.

Now downloading a 64 bit Windows 10 N iso through media creation tool to try a boot repair for Windows.

Burnt a disk, went to repair/Advanced Options/Command Prompt
    Tried:

• bootrec /RebuildBcd
    • bootrec /fixMbr
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • Exit
    At Rebuild Bcd it only found Windows.old

alancsalt, May 24, 2021
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

Grub Rescue.

Hello Kaustubh,

Noting the details that you have provided.

Generally speaking, the most common reason for this error is due to a misconfigured bootloader file. While installing Ubuntu in Windows, a part of Grub lives in the Master Boot Record (MBR), while the other parts live in the Linux boot partition. That is
    to say, although the Ubuntu partition is deleted, Grub is still in MBR. In addition, the active partition is not set correctly. As a result, on the startup of operating system Windows 10, you receive such an error of
    no such partition grub rescue.

To resolve this, let us go ahead and try to run the automatic Startup Repair feature using the Windows installation media that you have. If you do not have the Windows 10 installation media, you can click on this

link
    to download it first. Afterwards, you can follow the steps below on how you can perform the Startup Repair:

• Boot your computer using the installation media by inserting the DVD or USB flash drive and restarting your computer.
    • Once you see a message saying Press any key to boot from DVD, press
      Enter. (If you do not see this message, you might need to change the boot priority order in your computer’s
      BIOS settings to have the DVD as the first boot priority.)
      • Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee
        that any problems resulting from the configuring of
        BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.
    • Once you see the Install Windows page, click
      Repair your computer
    • On the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced options.
    • Click Startup Repair.

Once the repair is finished, you should be able to boot your computer as normal. However, if the issue persists, we recommend that you reset your computer. The link below would give you the steps on resetting your PC without having to lose your personal
    files saved on your computer:

Recovery options in Windows 10

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anne Fuj, May 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Startup repair wont play after linux grub messup. - Similar Threads - Startup repair wont

2. Login and keyboard messup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login and keyboard messup: Hey so i shamed my keyboard cuz windows freeze like usual and now when i login only i have major problems when i shutdown like the keyboard will screen lock not work spam buttons num lock and i mustve hit something cuz i have to put it to sleep which sometimes doesnt work...
  3. GNU-GRUB on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GNU-GRUB on startup: For some reason, over the last month or two, my startup sequence includes a GNU-GRUB V2.04 "bash-like" startup, where I have to type "exit" to get to my home screen. Can you tell me why, and help me remove this strange boot sequence?...
  4. GNU-GRUB on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GNU-GRUB on startup: For some reason, over the last month or two, my startup sequence includes a GNU-GRUB V2.04 "bash-like" startup, where I have to type "exit" to get to my home screen. Can you tell me why, and help me remove this strange boot sequence?...
  5. Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX: Actually I was using dual boot which was pre loaded in my HP laptop but I never used LINUX and deleted it and merge partition to windows 10 after that I restarted my laptop it shows grub screen.I have spent about 2 days in Google YouTube but getting same codes ie. Set boot...
  6. GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux

GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux: I recently uninstalled Linux SteamOS more specificially and now whenever I boot, it takes me to a “GRUB rescue mode screen” and I have to restart and manually choose Windows to boot into it. Can someone help me remove GRUB? By the way, my hard drive is GPT...
  7. How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove GRUB after installing Linux to external hard drive?: submitted by /u/XTroyZe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gnavxb/how_to_remove_grub_after_installing_linux_to/
  8. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  9. Repair Grub booting, there is probably a chance to?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Repair Grub booting, there is probably a chance to?: Translated to English: A problem like pasta That You Can not Do Something AT, you will have to do a reinstall. Error: Unknown File System Input rescuse in one fashion ... grub rescuse I have Win 10 installed Primarily in the beginning of the hard drive and it's Only Win 10 I...
  10. linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates

linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates: My son (26) just returned a long term loan P8B67B Deluxe to me with Linux and Win 7 on it. I upgraded 7 successfully, but after updates installed last night the PC refuses to boot saying "error, no such partition, Entering rescue mode .. grub rescue>" Repeated boot attempts...