Windows 10: Startup Slow

Discus and support Startup Slow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I don't if this is already a feature I don't know about or if its something i should suggest to Microsoft to implement... After the welcome screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jamos316, Oct 16, 2014.

1. jamos316 Win User

Startup Slow

I don't if this is already a feature I don't know about or if its something i should suggest to Microsoft to implement...
    After the welcome screen when it shows the desktop, my laptop is normally unresponsive for around 30 seconds.
    I know that part pf the reason for this is because I have some programs start up automatically:
    eM Client
    CCleaner
    MalwareBytes
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Bluetooth Devices
    NVIDIA Geforce Experience
    Onedrive Syncing
    Microsoft Upload Center
    However is there not a program to stop these programs from hogging the system resources when starting up.

James

:)

jamos316, Oct 16, 2014
  2. MatsEk1 Win User

Slow startup

Hi

I have problems with my Windows 10 PC at startup:

• login takes about 20 min for one users. All other users starts normally as before in say 5-10 sec
    • It is not possible to log in using error safe mode, "password is invalid", for any user
    • It is not possible to run windows defender on this "erroneous" user, to check on the existence of virus. When running defender for other users finds no threats
    • CPU is running at 15% all the time when finally being logged on.
    • Cannot start or stop Window edge!
    I am also running office 365 on the same machine.

Can you give suggestions on what to do, should I delete the user which has the problem?

Thanks in advance

Matt

MatsEk1, Oct 16, 2014
  3. Slow startup

Michelle -

Back up your files, then use whichever method works in this link to
    Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 or 10.
    Easiest is to access any power button to choose Restart while holding the Ctrl button.

[If none of the other methods work it may be necessary to create a
    Recovery drive
    or Create Windows 10 Installation Media on another PC.
    This media provides the most stable way to do booted repairs and also allows if necessary doing the vastly superior
    Clean Install Windows 10.

Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key, choose the
    boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Repair Your Computer]

In the Advanced Troubleshooting options try to System Restore to a point before the problems
    began, then if necessary from Startup Settings try to get into Safe Mode with Networking, or lastly Safe Mode.
    If Startup Settings aren't available you can force Safe Mode from Command Prompt using the commands here in
    How to enter Windows 10's Safe Mode.

From Safe Mode w/Networking work through the
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist.

If Safe Mode doesn’t work or help stabilize things then return to Advanced Troubleshoot options. Next try Command Prompt to run
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist repair commands
    including sfc /scannow to see if it will repair, or return to Troubleshoot options to Use A Device to boot memory test and if necessary
    Reset Your Windows 10 PC This will reinstall the OS while saving your files which sheds the crippling bloatware.

Better yet do the vastly superior
    Clean Install Windows 10
    following the steps in the link to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest. After install reactivate with your Product Key, automatically from embedded Product Key if a
    factory install or if free Upgrade has already activated so that it has permanent Digital Entitlement.
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help.

If these fail you can try to run Factory Recovery from it’s hotkey at boot; find yours by googling the “PC make/model + Run Factory Recovery” or refer to standard
    Factory Recovery methods. After Recovery mitigate the inferior factory install with the Checklist steps
    from earlier.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 16, 2014
  4. Startup Slow

paulsalter, Oct 16, 2014
  5. jamos316 Win User
    thanks for the reply but delaying it wont really solve my problem as the way i see it, yes you will get a faster startup with a responsive system straight from login but when it comes to the programs starting up (in a delayed timing) wont the system be unresponsive then also?

jamos316, Oct 16, 2014
  6. I use a few small hotkey programs I wrote that sit in the tray. I run W10 32 bit using VMWare Player. I also have VMs with W7 both 32 and 64 bit. Compared to W7 W10 loads anything in the tray in glacial mode. I'm talking like 2 minutes just for all the tray icons to show time starting from the first icon.

Also as I already mentioned, there seems no rhyme or reason which program may be started from the user's StartUp folder, which using the Registry Run key and which have to be started manually. It's even a bit slower after Classic Start Menu is added.

MilesAhead, Oct 16, 2014
  7. jamos316 Win User
    what is glacial mode and what hotkey programs do you use to speedup startup?
    i have come across a startup delayer which i am now using. Startup Delayer Overview | r2 Studios

jamos316, Oct 16, 2014
  8. Startup Slow

As I wrote, glacial mode is over 2 minutes between the display of the first tray icon and the last. Other than system icons like network, battery status etc. there is VMWare Player, Everything Search and one program I wrote that moves windows around with hotkeys.

It's not a matter of importance to speed it up. I just added my observation so the OP would know it's not unique. On a Laptop the VMs load very slowly anyway. They are just for messing around.

All that being said W10 VM with the same resources allocated is close to an order of magnitude slower loading than W7 32 or 64 bit afa tray icons after the login is complete. The boot time to welcome screen/login is about the same.

I could not install the W10 x64 as it hangs at 50% device config for some reason. The 32 bit installed cleanly.

MilesAhead, Oct 16, 2014
  9. Hi James -

Uncheck everything except OneDrive in msconfig>Services after checking the box to Hide All MS Services.

Next disable all listings except OneDrive in Task manager Startup Tab.

Do you have any other HD's in the PC. Unplug them to see if the problem repeats.

When you installed the OS did you delete all other partitions, wipe the HD, unplug all other HD's or create a Dual Boot?

Report back on these as there may be more steps indicated, and there are other things to try like Soluto to create a boot map.

gregrocker, Oct 17, 2014
  10. One thing you can do generally for services not needed for the OS to function, such as AV or Search, if the service is set to Automatic, change it to Automatic/Delayed Start.

Also many programs that autostart can be delayed using the free WinPatrol utility.

MilesAhead, Oct 17, 2014
  11. Hi

Just use CCleaner.

If you don't already have it installed...

CCleaner - Download

In the tools start up tab you can just enable or disable any of the start up items with ease.

I always go through the list and turn off anything that doesn't need to start.

If you change your mind you can just re-enable it again.

For me Windows 10 has the fastest boot times of any OS I've used.

Less then 15 seconds from the boot menu screen on my dual boot setup.

And only a few seconds after that before the hard drive stops running and it's done.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Oct 17, 2014
  12. badrobot Win User
    I agree. Disable everything in msconfig. Even onedrive. I think that's what is hogging your pc from startup. Jusy run all those programs manually when you need them.

badrobot, Oct 17, 2014
  13. Startup Slow

If you work through all of the suggestions and its not improved you can reinstall but this time wipe the HD of all code first since boot code can sometimes interfere. Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command - Windows 7 Help Forums Make sure no other HD's are plugged in.

This is especially important if you only formatted the HD and didn't correctly delete all partitions. The old partition table is still there as well as boot code from all previous OS's.

gregrocker, Oct 17, 2014
  14. AddRAM Win User
    SASpyware and MBAM are the only 2 you need running at startup.

AddRAM, Oct 17, 2014
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    get rid of rubbish like cc cleaner you don't need it. I think also any sort of AV programs aren't necessary in W10 apart from the built in Windows defender. Malwarebytes and antispyware can go too -- a much better system is to use sensible FIREWALLS and don't allow any application program apart from a browser to access the Internet. (You can allow EXCEL and other recognized programs such as Stock trading type stuff also to allow net access if required -- Firewall controls do this just fine).

There's a HUGE mis-conception or mis-understanding about what MALWARE actually is - some programs can be "bog standard" windows applications - really annoying ones as well !!!! that might cause loads of popups etc but they aren't Viruses so your AV software is unlikely to catch them -- Windows defender though is updated regularly -- almost daily - so any of these "legit" programs could be added to Windows defender earlier than any of the other solutions.

I've written loads of times on the AV / security section on the Forum -- the best protection is YOU not SOFTWARE - and most of the scams these daus aren't stoppable by software - use and surf WISELY and be aware of what the same are these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 17, 2014
Thema:

Startup Slow

1. Startup Slow - Similar Threads - Startup Slow

2. Windows 11 NO taskbar, slow startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 NO taskbar, slow startup: Hello, I built this computer a week and a half ago and everything has went fine up until today when I opened it to see no taskbar for around 5-6 minutes then a pop up to this screen. I am genuinely helpless, I do not know what to do, I did scans, reboots, everything. Need...
  3. Windows 11 NO taskbar, slow startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 NO taskbar, slow startup: Hello, I built this computer a week and a half ago and everything has went fine up until today when I opened it to see no taskbar for around 5-6 minutes then a pop up to this screen. I am genuinely helpless, I do not know what to do, I did scans, reboots, everything. Need...
  4. windows is slow to start all the startup applications, how to improve it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows is slow to start all the startup applications, how to improve it?: Hi,when I login, all my startup applications like skype, teams, onedrive... takes about 3 to 5 minutes to load all of them.and I have a very fast computer.how I can improve this?is it possible to force windows starting all these applications in parallel?from what I can see...
  5. windows is slow to start all the startup applications, how to improve it?

windows is slow to start all the startup applications, how to improve it?: Hi,when I login, all my startup applications like skype, teams, onedrive... takes about 3 to 5 minutes to load all of them.and I have a very fast computer.how I can improve this?is it possible to force windows starting all these applications in parallel?from what I can see...
  6. Display Adapter Driver Causing PC to Startup Extremely Slow

Display Adapter Driver Causing PC to Startup Extremely Slow: For some time now I've been plagued by my PC taking an extremely long time 5 to 10 minutes or longer to start, restart and shut down.Once started the pc runs like a champ.Recently I did a clean install of Windows 11 and the PC start, restart and shut down was back to normal...
  7. Display Adapter Driver Causing PC to Startup Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Adapter Driver Causing PC to Startup Extremely Slow: For some time now I've been plagued by my PC taking an extremely long time 5 to 10 minutes or longer to start, restart and shut down.Once started the pc runs like a champ.Recently I did a clean install of Windows 11 and the PC start, restart and shut down was back to normal...
  8. external drive makes pc slow on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external drive makes pc slow on startup: when I turn on the pc with a specific hard drive my pc takes forever to start up google and discord I've tried changing cables, deleting a few things and the drive is not even half full but when I connect drive #2 it works fine, I'm not sure what it is or what caused this...
  9. external drive makes pc slow on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external drive makes pc slow on startup: when I turn on the pc with a specific hard drive my pc takes forever to start up google and discord I've tried changing cables, deleting a few things and the drive is not even half full but when I connect drive #2 it works fine, I'm not sure what it is or what caused this...
  10. external drive makes pc slow on startup