Windows 10: Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?

Discus and support Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On my Win 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803 machine with 16GB RAM and an i5 Intel chip, I like Task Manager to start automatically on startup. 1) If I put its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by glnz, Mar 19, 2019.

1. glnz Win User

Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?

On my Win 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803 machine with 16GB RAM and an i5 Intel chip, I like Task Manager to start automatically on startup.
    1) If I put its shortcut in the Startup folder, nothing happens.
    2) If I create a TaskScheduler task for it, to start on logon of any user, it works.
    Why the difference?

Detail:
    1) Win+r, then type shell:startup, then put a shortcut in that "Startup" folder that points to C:\Windows\System32\Taskmgr.exe
    2) In Task Scheduler, create a task as follows:
    Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> <Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task"> <RegistrationInfo> <Date>2015-10-08T18:02:24.7424228</Date> <Author>[MyComputerName]\[MyUserName]</Author> <URI>\TaskMgr</URI> </RegistrationInfo> <Triggers> <LogonTrigger> <Enabled>true</Enabled> </LogonTrigger> </Triggers> <Principals> <Principal id="Author"> <UserId>S-1-5-21-[More Numbers]-1001</UserId> <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType> <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel> </Principal> </Principals> <Settings> <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy> <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries> <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries> <AllowHardTerminate>false</AllowHardTerminate> <StartWhenAvailable>true</StartWhenAvailable> <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable> <IdleSettings> <StopOnIdleEnd>false</StopOnIdleEnd> <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle> </IdleSettings> <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand> <Enabled>true</Enabled> <Hidden>false</Hidden> <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle> <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession> <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>true</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine> <WakeToRun>true</WakeToRun> <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT0S</ExecutionTimeLimit> <Priority>7</Priority> <RestartOnFailure> <Interval>PT1M</Interval> <Count>20</Count> </RestartOnFailure> </Settings> <Actions Context="Author"> <Exec> <Command>C:\Windows\System32\Taskmgr.exe</Command> </Exec> </Actions> </Task>[/quote] Thanks.

:)

2. Task Scheduler with error message The selected task »CreateChoiceProcessTask« no longer exists

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to clear the task from Task Scheduler using the below steps and check if the issue still persists.

Steps:-

• Type Task Scheduler on Search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler Library.
    • Select the particular task and right click on it.
    • Select End.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Task scheduler does not work

Hi,

Regarding your concern with Task Scheduler, you have to make sure that the Task Scheduler service is running. You can verify if the service is running by following the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click
      Administrative tools.
    • Click Computer Management.
    • Expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.
    • Right-click the Task Scheduler services, and then click
      Properties
    • On the General tab, make sure that the startup type is set to automatic, and that the service status is Started. If the service is not running, click
      Start.
    • On the Log On tab, make sure that the local system account is selected, and that the
      Allow service to interact with desktop check box has a check mark.
    • Click OK, and then quit Computer Management.

Let us know how it goes.

MaRoselle Cag, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Lenzmic Win User

Task scheduler

No errors found by each suggestion. May have to do a clean install unless someone has a different solution

Tried it, didn't work!!

Lenzmic, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why? - Similar Threads - Startup task doesn't

2. Task Scheduler Trigger not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler Trigger not working.: I am scheduling some jobs to get the reports from Citrix using PowerShell command. In Task scheduler server we have all required PowerShell Module Task run when I execute manually without any issue. When I set time in trigger it wont execute and not history available for...
  3. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler doesn't start task: I use FreeFileSync to backup my NAS to a USB drive. The batch file runs when I manually start it by double clicking on the batch file. Per FreeFileSync instructions I put "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" in the "Program/Script: field" and "C:\FreeFileSync...
  4. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler doesn't start task: I use FreeFileSync to backup my NAS to a USB drive. The batch file runs when I manually start it by double clicking on the batch file. Per FreeFileSync instructions I put "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" in the "Program/Script: field" and "C:\FreeFileSync...
  5. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Task Scheduler not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler not Working: Hi My problem is that when I attempt to run a task such as the W7 backup or one of my own scripts via Task Scheduler, it doesn't work. I have an external hard drive attached for the backup location. I close my laptop lid and verify that both the laptop and XHD are asleep. I...
  7. Task scheduler stopped working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Task scheduler stopped working.: Task scheduler stop working after two different events took place. First the PC started to becoming erratic opening and closing document and video files randomly. At that time I attempted to perform a system restore that W10 reported it as failed attempts. Later the Microsoft...
  8. Why isn’t my task scheduler working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why isn’t my task scheduler working?: Hello, I’m trying to get my Server PC to open NiceHash miner at 0:00 and close it at 10:00 AM. I’ve tried task scheduler but I’m having some issues. I’ve setup the scheduler with the times listed above and set it to run the following batch files: OpenMiner.BAT: @Echo off...
  9. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi, I've set up a scheduled task to transfer files using WinSCP using a batch file .bat. The task works as intended when I run the task manually by clicking the run option inside Task Scheduler. When I allow the task to run automatically using the daily trigger, the error...
  10. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi everyone, I'm having issues with the Task Scheduler since a time ago. A message saying "The remote computer was not found" when I try to open it. I've searched for this problem and tried to run the command line "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" but it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 pro task scheduler do not store password not wroking

2. created task doesnt appear in task scheduler