Windows 10: Stated Drive Capacity Less Than Expected

Discus and support Stated Drive Capacity Less Than Expected in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. This question is not quite the normal question that it appears. My SSD is stated as being a 128 GB drive, but only displays 117 GB. I am fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Matt316, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Matt316 Win User

Stated Drive Capacity Less Than Expected

Hi.

This question is not quite the normal question that it appears.

My SSD is stated as being a 128 GB drive, but only displays 117 GB. I am fully aware of the difference between the decimal and binary equivalent values. That is, the stated value of the drive is 128 GB decimal (126,494,961,664 Bytes - near enough to 128 billion bytes (thousand million, for us Brits) ) . The value displayed in the drive's properties is 117 GB binary. These values equate.

However, my problem is that I would have expected the drive to be 128 GB binary (137,438,953,472 Bytes) as, unlike say a HDD, the SSD is manufactured in a 'binary' way (so I am led to believe), in this case 2^37. (This would mean that the drive should have been stated as being a 137 GB drive.) It would seem unlikely that a '128 GB' drive would have a 64 GB bank plus a 32 GB bank plus a 16 GB bank plus a 4 GB bank plus a 1 GB bank just to get a 128 GB drive.

If this is true (that the drive is manufactured in a 'binary' way) then there is a discrepancy of nearly 11 GB. Is this a system block, and if so, how is it used?

Is someone able to explain the discrepancy for me, please.

Matt

:)

Matt316, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Helmut Win User

Basically it is the controller chip and the SSD management functions which are very different on an SSD. Memory cells are shuffled around to even out wear or replaced, and whatever the manufacturer decides is the best way to do that and other tasks.
    Some may have extra memory/cache used for that purpose, some don't, depends, varies with manufacturers.

The over provisioning on an SSD is around 8-10% of capacity or something like that, much more than the extra spare sectors on an HDD. I know that is not what you are asking about.

128 GB is more a model number convention than an accurate statement of the actual usable capacity, for details you will have to contact the drive manufacturer.

The manufacturers do not want to change the "normal expectation" of actually getting less capacity than stated.
    For one of the popular Samsung SSD drives:
    "* Actual usable capacity may be less (due to formatting, partitioning, operating system, applications or otherwise)"

Helmut, Jan 6, 2020
  3. zbook Win User
    zbook, Jan 6, 2020
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Because of the way they are addressed and used RAM module capacity must be a power of 2. SSD manufacturers are not under these constraints and can have whatever capacity is convenient, not necessarily a power of 2. A portion of this is reserved for over provisioning and not included in advertised capacity. What remains is expressed as a rounded decimal number, just as with conventional drives.

There is no discrepancy.

LMiller7, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Stated Drive Capacity Less Than Expected - Similar Threads - Stated Drive Capacity

2. SSD size shows less than expected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD size shows less than expected: I have msi gf63 thin 9scxr gaming laptop and bought it in fall of 2020. to this day i used to believe it had 270gb in total, only 150gb available but as i searched further it was supposed to be 512gb which equals to 476gb in msinfo32. why does it show like this.?grateful for...
  3. SSD size shows less than expected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD size shows less than expected: I have msi gf63 thin 9scxr gaming laptop and bought it in fall of 2020. to this day i used to believe it had 270gb in total, only 150gb available but as i searched further it was supposed to be 512gb which equals to 476gb in msinfo32. why does it show like this.?grateful for...
  4. SSD size shows less than expected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Drive showing less space than actually available

Drive showing less space than actually available: My drive is 250GB, but only shows as 150GB. I know there is more as i have had it, just booting one day it vanishes. When I try to shrink what is left, i get invalid parameter error. Hope screenshots help with what I mean...
  6. my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity: The capacity of C drive is shown as 150 gb, but it actually is 459.33 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-512-gb-ssd-is-showing-less-c-drive-capacity/383ae195-abbc-42cf-8a92-af11967eec61
  7. my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity

my 512 gb ssd is showing less c drive capacity: The capacity of C drive is shown as 150 gb, but it actually is 459.33 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-512-gb-ssd-is-showing-less-c-drive-capacity/383ae195-abbc-42cf-8a92-af11967eec61
  8. Sound lower than expected in headphones

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound lower than expected in headphones: As title says, i updated my pc ( got a new motherboard, parts, ect) and my old Pc with windows 7 pc was replaced. So the problem, is that my headphones (with or without realtek drivers) doesn't sound the same, (also applied bass boost, and loudness equalization, but it sounds...
  9. Storage space seems to only have less than half the capacity it should.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage space seems to only have less than half the capacity it should.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/babypuncher_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jxju3e/storage_space_seems_to_only_have_less_than_half/
  10. Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Full Charge Capacity is Greater than Design Capacity: Okay, so I have an Acer E5-475 and I just bought a new battery pack for my computer as the old one died on me. it was okay for the first 3 days then suddenly on day 4 it died on me while I was at around 20 percent. when I recharged it back until it was full I pulled the plug...