Windows 10: Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

Discus and support Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Legion, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Legion Win User

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location profiles that would allow me to set up network settings for specific locations. When I got there, I'd just switch my location to get those settings running in just a couple of seconds.

What I ultimately need is the ability to set a Static DNS server based on the wireless network I'm attached to. If I'm at work, I want it to be static, but if I'm home or anywhere else, I want it to automatically supplied.

I hope that makes sense. It's the only thing I haven't really managed to quite figure out. Otherwise, I'm loving the Dell XPS 15 7590 I picked up. It's a truly amazing piece of hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

As a quick clarification, I Need the DNS to be static while DHCP remains active.

:)

Legion, Jan 8, 2020
  2. dmholt57 Win User

I'm setup with a static DNS and DHCP Auto... go into the ipv4 properties of the adapter and set the static address that you want and leave the DHCP set to auto *Cool

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 [​IMG]

dmholt57, Jan 8, 2020
  3. Legion Win User

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location profiles that would allow me to set up network settings for specific locations. When I got there, I'd just switch my location to get those settings running in just a couple of seconds.

What I ultimately need is the ability to set a Static DNS server based on the wireless network I'm attached to. If I'm at work, I want it to be static, but if I'm home or anywhere else, I want it to automatically supplied.

I hope that makes sense. It's the only thing I haven't really managed to quite figure out. Otherwise, I'm loving the Dell XPS 15 7590 I picked up. It's a truly amazing piece of hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

As a quick clarification, I Need the DNS to be static while DHCP remains active.

Legion, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

How to force Windows 10 to use DNS?

I should have added that this Windows PC in question has its IP address and DNS servers configured statically. Just to ensure I do nothing wrong, I enabled DHCP on the network adapter in question. DHCP works, I get the correct IP address, gateway and list
    of DNS servers. However, my PC continues to use mDNS.

BerndBausch, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Static DNS DHCP

2. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location...
  3. Windows 10 and DNS

Windows 10 and DNS: Wondered if anyone had ever hit this problem. My house has been getting rewiring, and being turned off never affected my computer or Ethernet before. All I did was swap the surge plug [contains all the pc/peripherals] from a temporary extension back to the main plug board....
  4. Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2: Hello, I have 2 DC's -1-2003 and second one that was 2016. The secondary domain controller (Windows server 2016) went belly up and I was tasked with building a new one. What I noticed was the System admin who had built it before put it on a server that was over kill....
  5. dhcp

dhcp: what am i supposed to do? "dhcp lease expires july 5, 2019" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dhcp/a345fed5-e602-4535-9e73-4eea0c79fb91
  6. DHCP/DNS/Properties & a variety of other Windows 10 issues.

DHCP/DNS/Properties & a variety of other Windows 10 issues.: Hi All, I have been using my Windows 10 for years, and the past few weeks it has began to mess me around and play up completely. The first thing I noticed was when I'd went to run something in Windows 8 compatibility mode and I right clicked on properties and nothing...
  7. ERROR PRINTING IN WINDOWS 10 WITH IP FOR DHCP BUT WORKING WITH STATIC IP

in Windows 10 Customization
    ERROR PRINTING IN WINDOWS 10 WITH IP FOR DHCP BUT WORKING WITH STATIC IP: Hello I have a laptop with windows 10 and this laptop can not print with a printer in the same subnet Printer ip address: 192.168.10.25 laptop ip: 192.168.10.32 for dhcp The laptop have connectivity to the printer but i can not print (Just show error in printing). If i...
  8. DHCP

DHCP: The IP address lease 192.168.1.3 for the Network Card with network address 0xD89EF326F842 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message). Need an explanation on this error...
  9. Windows 10 updates and static DHCP changing to automatic

Windows 10 updates and static DHCP changing to automatic: My company is using Windows 10 workstations for print servers and are constantly receiving Windows 10 updates. We are finding that after remotely or in person, logging into the workstation as Administrator, Windows 10 Enterprise will start doing an update. In some cases we...
  10. Static IP adress vs DHCP

Static IP adress vs DHCP: Hi I've just updated a W7 machine to W10. The update has take all the settings from W7 and the machine was operating without problem before the update. When running W7 the machine had a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 and all of the other machines could access the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 laptop do i have a static dns or dhcp

2. can I set automatic dhcp but dns windows