Windows 10: Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

Discus and support Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Legion, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Legion Win User

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location profiles that would allow me to set up network settings for specific locations. When I got there, I'd just switch my location to get those settings running in just a couple of seconds.

What I ultimately need is the ability to set a Static DNS server based on the wireless network I'm attached to. If I'm at work, I want it to be static, but if I'm home or anywhere else, I want it to automatically supplied.

I hope that makes sense. It's the only thing I haven't really managed to quite figure out. Otherwise, I'm loving the Dell XPS 15 7590 I picked up. It's a truly amazing piece of hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

As a quick clarification, I Need the DNS to be static while DHCP remains active.

:)

Legion, Jan 9, 2020
  2. dmholt57 Win User

I'm setup with a static DNS and DHCP Auto... go into the ipv4 properties of the adapter and set the static address that you want and leave the DHCP set to auto *Cool

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 [​IMG]

dmholt57, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Barman58 Win User

Netsetman as suggested above should do all you want - First look does not show a way to automate it but if it's just a couple of times a day the tabbed interface should make things fairly quick - Obviously give the free version a go - There is a small fee for use in business if you find it works

Barman58, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Legion Win User

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location profiles that would allow me to set up network settings for specific locations. When I got there, I'd just switch my location to get those settings running in just a couple of seconds.

What I ultimately need is the ability to set a Static DNS server based on the wireless network I'm attached to. If I'm at work, I want it to be static, but if I'm home or anywhere else, I want it to automatically supplied.

I hope that makes sense. It's the only thing I haven't really managed to quite figure out. Otherwise, I'm loving the Dell XPS 15 7590 I picked up. It's a truly amazing piece of hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

As a quick clarification, I Need the DNS to be static while DHCP remains active.

Legion, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Static DNS DHCP

2. A question about DHCP and static IP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about DHCP and static IP: Hello,In a local network that computers get IP addresses from a DHCP server, if someone set a static IP on his\her network adapter, then is it possible for the DHCP server to give the IP address that this user manually set on his network card to another computer?Thank you....
  3. A question about DHCP and static IP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A question about DHCP and static IP: Hello,In a local network that computers get IP addresses from a DHCP server, if someone set a static IP on his\her network adapter, then is it possible for the DHCP server to give the IP address that this user manually set on his network card to another computer?Thank you....
  4. Windows randomly changes static IP to DHCP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows randomly changes static IP to DHCP: The setup I'm using requires a static IP.From time to time, haven't figured out any pattern, Windows 10 changes it back to DHCP. Sometimes the "new" settings menu shows DHCP, while the old style Control Panel > Network still shows the values I've set to.Any ideas what can be...
  5. Windows randomly changes static IP to DHCP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows randomly changes static IP to DHCP: The setup I'm using requires a static IP.From time to time, haven't figured out any pattern, Windows 10 changes it back to DHCP. Sometimes the "new" settings menu shows DHCP, while the old style Control Panel > Network still shows the values I've set to.Any ideas what can be...
  6. Windows randomly changes static IP to DHCP

7. DNS or DHCP error

DNS or DHCP error: Dear Good Samaritans My ACER laptop network suddenly stops working. The symptoms are: Only Google sites and some other sites are accessible. All others will return the error: DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN. All other mobile devices and the other Thinkpad work fine in the same...
  8. Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Static DNS with DHCP in Windows 10: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I've just moved from Mac to Windows 10 and have really enjoyed it so far. The only small (and I do mean small) issue I'm having is the fact that I can't setup network locations the way I could on the Mac. In other words, I could setup location...
  9. Windows 10 updates and static DHCP changing to automatic

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 updates and static DHCP changing to automatic: My company is using Windows 10 workstations for print servers and are constantly receiving Windows 10 updates. We are finding that after remotely or in person, logging into the workstation as Administrator, Windows 10 Enterprise will start doing an update. In some cases we...
  10. Static IP adress vs DHCP

Static IP adress vs DHCP: Hi I've just updated a W7 machine to W10. The update has take all the settings from W7 and the machine was operating without problem before the update. When running W7 the machine had a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 and all of the other machines could access the...