Windows 10: Steam, Battlenet, & 'System' using a lot of CPU when downloading stuff

Discus and support Steam, Battlenet, & 'System' using a lot of CPU when downloading stuff in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This never used to happen until a couple of months ago. Whenever Steam, or Battlenet are downloading something, my computer starts to lag really bad. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NotEvenJauuuwn, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Steam, Battlenet, & 'System' using a lot of CPU when downloading stuff

This never used to happen until a couple of months ago. Whenever Steam, or Battlenet are downloading something, my computer starts to lag really bad. I go into task manager, and 75-100% of my CPU is being used, most of which is coming from the app the is downloading something (Steam, or Battlenet), and 'System'. It took me forever to find a solution for this problem for the Steam problem, but I eventually did find a solution, it requires me to go command prompt, and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false", and then restart my computer. It totally fixes the problem on Steam... But only temporarily. It seems to reset back after a few days (or a few restarts), and then I have to do the process over again. Is there a permanent way to fix this problem? Like make the "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" last forever, instead of just resetting after a few restarts? Also, it that solution doesn't seem to work as good for Battlenet as it does Steam. Please help!

:)

NotEvenJauuuwn, Aug 10, 2017
  2. Johnbk34 Win User

Need help fixing high "System" CPU usage when downloading things from Steam and Battlenet

This never used to happen until a couple of months ago. Whenever Steam, or Battlenet are downloading something, my computer starts to lag really bad. I go into task manager, and 75-100% of my CPU is being used, most of which is coming from the app the
    is downloading something (Steam, or Battlenet), and 'System'. It took me forever to find a solution for this problem for the Steam problem, but I eventually did find a solution, it requires me to go command prompt, and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false",
    and then restart my computer. It totally fixes the problem on Steam... But only temporarily. It seems to reset back after a few days (or a few restarts), and then I have to do the process over again. Is there a permanent way to fix this problem? Like make
    the "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" last forever, instead of just resetting after a few restarts? Also, it that solution doesn't seem to work as good for Battlenet as it does Steam. Please help!

Johnbk34, Aug 10, 2017
  3. any real alternatives to windows 10 for gamers yet?

none, nothing's installed except chrome, battlenet, steam, and uplay

interneter, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Steam, Battlenet, & 'System' using a lot of CPU when downloading stuff

Hi there. We'll need more to go on. Please either fill out your system specs in your Settings Control Panel or list them here, especially CPU, amount of memory, and antivirus.

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    ZoneAlarm

6. lx07 Win User
    I think you shouldn't put partial answers in your questions (even if it is tempting) as it may distract from what you are asking.

First bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

You can see if this setting is active for a specific Boot Loader if you just run bcdedit on its own with no parameters: Code: Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {current} device partition=C: path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe description Windows 10 locale en-US inherit {bootloadersettings} allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075 osdevice partition=C: systemroot \WINDOWS resumeobject {2e6e9ce8-0ecd-11e7-b13b-c54b6a88e609} nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard hypervisorlaunchtype Auto useplatformclock No[/quote] From checking that you can check if it is being reset (or deleted) but that then leads to a question - why on earth do you think using one clock over another would decrease CPU use? Changing this value is really only for debugging ancient programs and it is pretty unlikely all these companies have ballsed up their download programs with such a trivial fix available.

After all Windows has used system clock since XP - High Precision Event Timer - Wikipedia

Of course you may be right and Steam have bizarrely (or by mistake) included some bug that relies on functionality not existing since before XP. It is possible but but I'd get of that change with bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Your real problem is high CPU when downloading and I'd bet a weeks salary has nothing to do with that bcdedit setting.

I might be wrong though, and assuming I am, if you are over (or under) clocking try without. Make sure your cmos/pram battery is OK (i.e. the time is OK after a non network connected cold restart) and your system time is set right. It is possible (although I think rather unlikely) that somehow the OS is wasting cycles trying to synchronise the time between what the local Steam client and what Steam Servers think it is.

If you are still getting the problem then run a trace with perfmon and upload it. I'm not yet clever enough to read perfmon traces but either someone else will I'm sure.

7. This is the article that I discovered, and it was the only thing that has worked for me to this point: SOLVED: Computer Hangs/Lags When Downloading From Steam - Appuals.com

8. lx07 Win User

I'm not doubting the result - just the solution seems a bit simple. It is masking something else.

If Steam (who have millions of users) realized their download program was shit then they would have changed it.

All I'm saying is this "fix" is to make a PC work in a manner that hasn't been used since the 1990's (unless you bought a PC in 2005 with an old OS I suppose).

9. Nope, PC built last year, with Windows 10, and the problem only started occurring a couple months ago.

10. lx07 Win User
    Probably you would be better off talking to Steam.

If you want upload a perfmon trace. I'll have a look. I'm not an expert but for sure others are (I'll try anyway) and I do think your problem is interesting.

11. I'm talking with the steam community, some think it's ZoneAlarm, since it's know to give PC's problems. And I uninstalled it, and am now just using Windows defender, and so far it's looking normal. Let's hope this lasts.

12. Tony K Win User
    That's good so far. Was wondering if was your AV. That's why I asked for it. I use Defender as well. No problems with infection at all.

Hope that solution does it for you. Please let us know if it does. Good luck.

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Steam, Battlenet, & 'System' using a lot of CPU when downloading stuff - Similar Threads - Steam Battlenet 'System'

2. Why is my CPU at 100% when running games and installing stuff on steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my CPU at 100% when running games and installing stuff on steam: This is my first time building a pc and I think I’ve downloaded all of the correct drivers but when I launched a game it was running terrible and I opened task manager and my cpu was at 100. I do not have integrated graphics and I cannot figure out why....
  3. Why is my CPU at 100% when running games and installing stuff on steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my CPU at 100% when running games and installing stuff on steam: This is my first time building a pc and I think I’ve downloaded all of the correct drivers but when I launched a game it was running terrible and I opened task manager and my cpu was at 100. I do not have integrated graphics and I cannot figure out why....
  4. Why is my CPU at 100% when running games and installing stuff on steam

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. The `System` process uses a lot of CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The `System` process uses a lot of CPU: Good day, friends. I formatted my computer yesterday evening and cleaned the fans of the PC this morning. After I finished cleaning, I opened pc normally and started installing the Drivers. I also updated my graphics card from GeForce Experience. But after a while, I opened...
  6. Stuff not downloading

Stuff not downloading: Im trying to download stuff on my pc but everytime it does it bugs out on me. If I try and download something on the internet it takes me back to the original screen or the Run popup doesnt come up. If i download something from the store it just says error. I’ll post this on...
  7. Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU

Windows Defender SmartScreen using a lot of CPU: This is not normal. The Windows Defender SmartScreen is using right 27% of the CPU capacity. How can i solve this? submitted by /u/versattes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/en9h1w/windows_defender_smartscreen_using_a_lot_of_cpu/
  8. downloading stuff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    downloading stuff: how do I download stuff outside of the app store? I'm using a ASUS laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-stuff/47e448c3-1a24-4962-a33c-9e39f7cbcfee
  9. WMI Provider Host using lots of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WMI Provider Host using lots of CPU: Hi, I am using a less than 2 month old Lenovo V110 laptop that is running an AMD A9-9410 Radeon R5 processor, and I have been having problems with a loud fan, and overheating. I checked the task manager, and found out that the WMI Provider Host is using large amounts of CPU...
  10. "system" using lots of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "system" using lots of data: Hi, I live in a rural area and was using mobile data for internet however recently got nbn satellite installed. Satellite internet provides you with a peak and off peak data allowance and the provider I am using had info on how you can use your off-peak data (between 1am &...