Windows 10: Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account

Discus and support Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm getting rather frustrated with the way Parental Controls and Time Restrictions are implemented in Windows 10. I am trying to do what should be a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by SoldiersFortune, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account

I'm getting rather frustrated with the way Parental Controls and Time Restrictions are implemented in Windows 10. I am trying to do what should be a fairly simple task. I want to allow a child account to run Steam and install/run games without requiring an Admin PIN.

What is currently happening is that Steam checks for updates and installs them whenever it is launched. This action triggers an Admin PIN prompt. The same happens when a new game is downloaded and installed and Steam performs a 'first-time setup' of assets and creates file directories.

The whole idea of creating a child account on my PC was to enable Time Restrictions on games so that my involvement in constantly moderating the amount of time spent on games was minimized and automated. Instead, I continually have to give Steam permission to run, update, and install software. Setting Steam to run as Admin on startup still requires an Admin PIN. This is not ideal. Also, Steam game assets that are installed while logged in as the child are permission locked to the child's user account. So if the game is uninstalled and then reinstalled while logged into the admin account and the file hierarchy is still there, the game will not be able to reinstall because access to those folders is denied.

I'm about ready to scrap Microsoft's built-in feature and go with a third-party software to do what I want because the implementation is terrible. It should have been simple. I should have been able to create a local account on my PC with Power User status but no Admin permissions. I should have been able to go into User Management and place time restrictions for specific users for specific apps/programs or specific groups of programs.

Instead, I had to create a brand-new e-mail address for a new Microsoft account for a child which is locked to using Outlook or Hotmail. And for some reason the only way to monitor and manage time spent on specific programs is through an online portal. I have looked for ways to use Powershell and Registry Editor to create my own restriction hierarchy and the only two things I can do is restrict access to specific programs and set specific times of day when the user can log on.

This is unbelievably stupid.

:)

SoldiersFortune, Mar 1, 2021
  2. creativex Win User

How to change admin account to child account

Hi

I recently upgraded a HP computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro using the
    Windows update/free Upgrade.

How can I change my childs admin account to a child account? The account
    is registered With a Microsoft account and i have added my Microsoft account
    as a second admin on the computer.

Thanks

creativex, Mar 1, 2021
  3. Jan123 Win User
    Child Account Get Greyed Out

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did the following instead.

I have another laptop, 2 weeks old, with Windows 10 Home on it.

On that one, I tried the same steps with the child account, and got the exact same results.

Jan123, Mar 1, 2021
  4. Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account

Account Pin -not sign in pin

Thank you for the clarification, Marcos. Please provide more information by answering the following:

• May I know if your child has his own Microsoft account?
    • Is he using his own Microsoft account to log in to the PC (PC where you want to install the game - let's name it PC 2) or is he using a local account?
    • Is it a standard user account or an account with admin rights?
    • If your child does not have a Microsoft account, whose account is logged in to PC 2? Is it your own Microsoft account?
    • Which Windows edition is it? Is it Windows Home or Pro?

Sorry about the list of questions. However, knowing these details will help us figure this out.

Please note that the Windows Store Licensing Model allows you to install apps across a number of devices and users. Windows 10 Store apps will be limited to 10 device installs using the same Microsoft account. However, before you can actually share
    your apps, there are a few things you need to do first.

If you are logged in to PC 2 using your own Microsoft account and not a local account, you will be asked to enter the PIN you set up for PC 2.

Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account 7dbfca3a-95bc-40bd-b086-3f972996a27c?upload=true.png

You mentioned that you have created a PIN but it's not helping. Are you getting an error when entering the PIN? If so, can you send a screenshot of the error? If you are certain that you're using the correct PIN, I suggest deleting
    everything within the NGC folder and try to add a new PIN. Deleting this folder often resolves PIN issues in Windows 10. Please follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to this location: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC
    2. Delete everything within that folder. To do so, you must be logged in as an administrator.
    3. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.
    4. Click Add a PIN and add a new PIN for your account.

If you continue to have this issue even after performing the above steps, please reply to this thread. The system will notify me so I can get back to you and provide you more answers.

Aileen Alf, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account

1. Steam continually requires Admin PIN on Child Account - Similar Threads - Steam continually requires

2. Removing Admin access to Child's account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Admin access to Child's account: I have a Windows 10 computer with three accounts. My personal account, a childs account, and an admin account. I logged onto the child's account and I wanted to move some files. However, I received a message that I need admin privilege's, so I put in the password to move the...
  3. Removing Admin access to Child's account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Admin access to Child's account: I have a Windows 10 computer with three accounts. My personal account, a childs account, and an admin account. I logged onto the child's account and I wanted to move some files. However, I received a message that I need admin privilege's, so I put in the password to move the...
  4. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  5. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  6. Require Pin to add account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Require Pin to add account: I have just created a new outlook account and I have just installed outlook. When trying to log-in it asks me for my windows pin. But I haven't set up a windows pin yet. The internet is telling me to go to accounts and settings on my computer but that has my partner's account...
  7. Local Admin Account hijacked by child's Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local Admin Account hijacked by child's Microsoft account: Hi, When we originally set up our shared home computer, we set it up with just a local account because we didn't feel it necessary for each of the 5 people in our house to have to log in separately. But when my 12 year old daughter created a Microsoft account for a game or...
  8. Account Requiring New Pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Requiring New Pin: Hello, My laptop has told me that "My organization requires I set a new pin" twice in the past month while logging in. My issues are: 1 I am not associated with an "organization." This is my personal computer. 2 My desktop does not have this issue. It still has my...
  9. Existing child account - how to make a new Admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Existing child account - how to make a new Admin account: Hi. I'm getting a bit confused about how to set up child's laptop with me as an Administrator. I've read a few internet articles but they all seem to start by assuming that you have set up the computer in your own name first and are then adding a child. I put the child's name...
  10. How to change admin account to child account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change admin account to child account: Hi I recently upgraded a HP computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro using the Windows update/free Upgrade. How can I change my childs admin account to a child account? The account is registered With a Microsoft account and i have added my Microsoft account as a...