Windows 10: Steam games not launching on Windows 10

Discus and support Steam games not launching on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm having a problem when I try to launch Steam games, as whatever game I try to launch doesn't actually launch. A message comes up about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016.

1. j0rdanb Win User

Steam games not launching on Windows 10

Hi all,

I'm having a problem when I try to launch Steam games, as whatever game I try to launch doesn't actually launch. A message comes up about the game "preparing to launch" but then nothing after that happens. Some games give me an error saying Steam is not running at all, whereas others just do nothing.

I've already completed all the troubleshooting steps on Steam's website but none of them have actually fixed it. The only temporary fix that works is restarting Steam, but this becomes very annoying when I have to do it multiple times a day every time I want to play a game.

Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated - thanks *Smile

:)

j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016

2. Steam games

thanks, will be going back to 8.1 first, if that doesn't resolve the problem with launching my games then I will find an OS that will. I have two mini towers and two laptops, the gaming tower has windows 10 and is the only one that has a problem launching
    steam games.If MS doesn't care then goodbye windows. oh bye the way i have disc that won't launch, skyrim being the main one i want to play. i am a gamer not a techie, this is windows problem not steams, my games played fine on 8.1 pro, upgraded to 10, nothing
    but problems with steam game.

DouglasGKnopp, Jan 23, 2016
  3. e.gray Win User
    Steam games

But, to amplify what BoosDweeb has said...

I've been using Windows 10 since the early betas... and I have never had a problem with Steam or any of my Steam games. So, don't be thinking that this is a systemic problem that's happening to everyone... 'cause it's not.

e.gray, Jan 23, 2016
  4. Dude Win User

Welcome to the forums. Right click the game, then choose properties. Then select the local files tab. Then choose Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

5. j0rdanb Win User
    Thanks! I've already tried doing this multiple times but it seems to be a problem with every game - This is an example of an error I get when launching CS:GO:

Steam games not launching on Windows 10 [​IMG]

And another on FSX:SE:

The only way I've found to bypass these issues so far is to restart Steam - but as I said in my previous post this is getting tedious. Thanks

j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016
  6. Stephanie Win User
    Hi j0rdanb Have you also tried setting steam to run when your Computer starts >

Stephanie, Jan 23, 2016
  7. j0rdanb Win User
    Hi! Yes Steam is set to run when my computer starts.

j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016
  8. Dude Win User

I have only seen that error when I moved the game location. Verifying the cache fixed it for me. I suggest reinstalling the Steam app.

9. j0rdanb Win User
    I've already tried doing this as well as even doing a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 multiple times, but none of this has fixed the errors I get.

j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016
  10. Dude Win User
    Strange. Are you launching from Steam itself, or a shortcut? Are your games on the C drive, or another drive?

11. Stephanie Win User
    Just a thought are you using a game booster ?

Stephanie, Jan 23, 2016
  12. j0rdanb Win User
    I'm launching the games from Steam itself - I have some games (e.g. CS:GO) installed on my C Drive (an SSD) and others on a larger hard drive (D Drive on my computer). However, whichever game I try to launch - whether it be on C or D drive - the error still occurs. I've tried launching the game from a shortcut as well - but the same problem is still there.

EDIT: I'm also not using a game booster - I use GPU Tweak from ASUS but closing it and stopping the service don't seem to do anything.

j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016
  13. Dude Win User

That is weird. Try closing steam, the delete the appcach folder. Then restart and try again. Here is a vid that shows where its at

[youtube]0-fdG0wikUY[/youtube]

Or try this flush cfg
    [youtube]FU6op6pVZpM[/youtube]

14. j0rdanb Win User
    Thanks for your help - this appears to have fixed it!

j0rdanb, Jan 23, 2016
  15. So I had an issue where games wouldn't launch on Steam. If the game had a separate launcher it would just cycle through launching the launcher each time I clicked to launch the game in the launcher. Weird thing was that this would happen to a game after I had already spent time playing it. (eg Caesar 3 - played 6 hours then this issue cropped up, and Skyrim legendary edition 30+ hours then this issue cropped up). I wouldn't even get error messages, just a rinse and repeat of the launcher each time. I tried everything - EVERYTHING.

Needless to say I was getting pissed off that I could no longer play my games.

Scoured forums for dayz (weeks too), then stumbled across this gem!

I even made an account here just to say thank you SO much!

The two videos fixed all my launch issues for games in steam, I can't tell you how thankful I am!!!!!

VaultKeeper, Jul 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Steam games not launching on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Steam games launching

2. Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam: so I've been trying to figure out why the game won't launch and checked event viewer.. It only started this March.. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Application...
  3. Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't launch Black Desert game on Steam: so I've been trying to figure out why the game won't launch and checked event viewer.. It only started this March.. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Application...
  4. Steam Games not Launching after installing new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam Games not Launching after installing new hard drive: I have a Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop that I bought used back in March of this year. From about then to July, it was working fine and I could run games very easily without stress. Well in July, my hard drive started acting funky and wouldn't load when I would turn on my computer....
  5. Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch: For whatever reason, some of my old Steam games refuse to run. Currently this counts Bioshock Infinite Tomb Raider (2013) Deus Ex: Human Revolution All of them start to run and then immediately stop and disappear from memory. Tomb Raider loads its launcher, but it's the...
  6. DirectX "DXerror.log and directx.log" error / some steam games not launching

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DirectX "DXerror.log and directx.log" error / some steam games not launching: So i've been having some problems with Steam Games not launching, and after a lot of troubleshooting attempts I tried installing DirectX again, but once i used the "DXSETUP" one, it gives the "DXerror.log and directx.log" error. Opening the DXerror.log I have: [03/24/20...
  7. DPC_Watchdog_violation when launching games/steam client

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_Watchdog_violation when launching games/steam client: hi, since upgrading my cpu from amd ryzen 5 1600 to 3600, there has been DPC_watchdog_violation BSODs when launching games and sometimes the Steam client software. i found a workaround to just disconnect my external usb soundcard ( Nuforce uDAC 3),and use the onboard...
  8. Some steam games will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some steam games will not launch: When I launch some games, they do not open with video; the audio plays but the video is just flashing static that looks like my screen is going to crash. This doesn't happen with every game, just some of them. I don't think it's to do with graphics settings because it can run...
  9. Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded: I just got a new laptop that is an hp with a AMD ryzen 3 2200U processor and integrated AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics when i check the dxdiag info it says I have directx 12 installed but when I finished downloading Counter strike global offensive and tried to launch it says...
  10. Steam games not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games not launching: I decided to come back to civ 5, and when I press play, all that happens is a small box saying "checking for updates" comes up for a brief moment, followed by another box saying "Searching for steam game updates" again for a brief moment. Nothing happens after. This also...