Windows 10: Steam locking up when adding Game keys

Discus and support Steam locking up when adding Game keys in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I have had this issue for months now and have not been able to resolve this at all. Whenever I add steam keys from humble bundle (or any other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by terrorc0n, Mar 30, 2019.

1. terrorc0n Win User

Steam locking up when adding Game keys

So I have had this issue for months now and have not been able to resolve this at all. Whenever I add steam keys from humble bundle (or any other outfit) once the key has been added and attempts to go to the install/directory select point steam will completely lock up for up to 45 seconds or so and then come right. It seems to work fine for a while if I switch to a different HDD installed in my PC but after a week or so the issue will come back. I have noticed the same problem when I am adding new Magnet links to my torrent client, as soon as the torrent client brings the dialog up to select the directory to install to, the program locks up for around 45 seconds.
    I have run CHKDSK on all my drives which haven't come back with any errors, I have also run HDD testing software for the applicable brands of both HDD's which both come back as both drives testing OK. Recently I formatted my SSD (reset windows to factory) and my Steam drive hoping that it would resolve my issue, but it didnt seem to fix anything at all.

Performance in gaming is absolutely fine and I have no issues at all, only with performing either of the functions explained above.

Specs:
    i7 6700k (not OCed)
    16GB Ram
    2TB WD Black (Steam Drive)
    3TB WD Red (Torrent/Download/Media Drive)
    C: 128GB Crucial SSD (Have used for around 4 years now)

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated as I am getting to the point of taking it into a shop to fix as I have tried everything I can do with no success.

:)

terrorc0n, Mar 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 Steam game crashes

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Does the issue occur only with Steam games or all games?
    • Are you able to view videos?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card driver by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 30, 2019
  3. Steam games do not work after latest update

Hi,

Issues in launching Steam games after the Windows 10, version 1703 update may occur if Game Mode is disabled or the game components are corrupted.

To resolve your concern, we recommend that you manually enable Game Mode by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + G on your keyboard.
    • Select Settings in the Game bar.
    • In the General tab, select the check box for
      Game Mode.

If you are still experiencing the same issue after enabling Game Mode, please answer the questions below so we can properly isolate your concern.

• Were you asked to uninstall the Steam games before installing the Windows 10, version 1703 update?
    • Does the issue occur on other games aside from Steam games?

Loraine Mon, Mar 30, 2019
  4. Steam locking up when adding Game keys

Three old game keys not recognized - "not valid key" - when trying to activate on steam

Hi there,

I found some old games in my basement - Dungeon Siege II, Age of Empires 3, and an expansion pack (The Asian Dynasties) for Age of Empires 3. I followed the steps on steam and found the product key sticker on the inside of the cases - yet when I attempt
    to put the codes into steam it says Invalid Product Key. I've tried changing some of the letters like they suggest but I'm 100% positive I've put them all in correctly. Is there a way to get new updated product codes that would be compatible with steam? I
    have all the disks but my new computer doesn't have a disk drive - It would be great if I don't have to spend $60 on a disk drive to play games that aren't worth even that much to download on steam now!

Thanks so much!

AlyMarteney, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

Steam locking up when adding Game keys

1. Steam locking up when adding Game keys - Similar Threads - Steam locking adding

2. Steam freezes when installing a game

in Windows 10 News
    Steam freezes when installing a game: [IMG]When downloading and installing a game from the Steam Store, if the Steam Launcher stops responding and freezes then this post will help you. This can be due to various reasons, such as a corrupted download cache or conflicting apps. However, there are other potential...
  3. PC locks up when playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC locks up when playing games: HelloI recently got a brand new PC and for the past month I've had an issue where any game I play can randomly slow down over the space of a second or two and then crash. The screen will freeze and I'll be unable to tab out to other windows, I will be able to see those...
  4. PC locks up when playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC locks up when playing games: HelloI recently got a brand new PC and for the past month I've had an issue where any game I play can randomly slow down over the space of a second or two and then crash. The screen will freeze and I'll be unable to tab out to other windows, I will be able to see those...
  5. PC locks up when playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. BSoD when downloading steam games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSoD when downloading steam games: I have just installed a new ssd to my pc. It was working fine till i started to download my games to new disc. I am usually leaving my pc open overnight if i am downloading a big sized game. I had no issue with my old drive. I still have no issue when i directly download...
  7. Windows key will not bring up desktop when a fullscreen application (steam) is running.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows key will not bring up desktop when a fullscreen application (steam) is running.: It was working fine. but now every time I push the windows key, it brings up the start menu. I want to be taken back to the desktop, however. I have to quit the game every time I need to briefly go to the desk top. Can anyone help? submitted by /u/Dat_Eater [link]...
  8. Steam locking up when adding Game keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Steam locking up when adding Game keys: So I have had this issue for months now and have not been able to resolve this at all. Whenever I add steam keys from humble bundle (or any other outfit) once the key has been added and attempts to go to the install/directory select point steam will completely lock up for up...
  9. BSOD when downloading games on steam

BSOD when downloading games on steam: I just got a new computer built and got a new monitor along with it but a problem has arose. I can use the computer but when something that required a lot of RAM or just a lot of priority to open for example "Steam" the software in which you can download games and such...
  10. Computer locking up when playing games/stressed

Computer locking up when playing games/stressed: Attachment 40442 My computer has been locking up recently. It seems fine until I start to put strain onto the system. This is usually done by me playing games. At first I thought it was heat and noticed my processor getting up there in temp. I went out and bought a new case...