Windows 10: Steam non-responsive when attempting to download or add games

Discus and support Steam non-responsive when attempting to download or add games in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey guys So I have put up with this problem for a while now, but it is getting fairly annoying now, especially when purchasing humble bundles adding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by terrorc0n, May 30, 2018.

1. terrorc0n Win User

Steam non-responsive when attempting to download or add games

Hey guys

So I have put up with this problem for a while now, but it is getting fairly annoying now, especially when purchasing humble bundles adding heaps of keys and trying to download games.

It seems whenever I add a key to Steam, the application will go into the download phase after you have successfully added it Steam will completely become unresponsive for a varied amount of time (5mins max), or vice versa if I attempt to download a new game from my library.

The hard drive I am using is a 2TB WD Black, which to my knowledge was the best for gaming and whatnot when I bought it. (Also has the longest warranty).

I have run chkdsk & multiple different iterations of hard drive disk checks; including the WD one, and none are able to fault the hard drive in the slightest. Which means I am not really able to return the hard drive under warranty as I am not able to prove my fault.

The issue does subside very temporarily if I run a defrag prior to installing any games, but this will probably last a couple hours to days depending. I did set up a daily defrag on the hard drive thinking that would combat the issue, but it still seems to prevail.

When I am playing games or using the hard drive in any other way, I have absolutely zero problems. All games run as they should when tested on another hard drive in my system.

The only time the issue occurs is when I am adding a game or downloading a game in steam. Other clients like Uplay and Origin do not seem to cause any of the same issues.

I have reformatted the drive several times also, but this did not yield any different results.

The hard drive in question is no more than 8 months old, as I had a WD black fail on me previously for an unrelated problem.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated, or at least any way that I may be able to prove that the drive is faulty so I can claim under warranty.

Sorry for the big wall of text!*Redface*Redface*Redface

:)

terrorc0n, May 30, 2018
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Windows 10 vs Steam Games

Hi Antonio,

Just to verify your concern, you are having trouble launching games on your PC that you purchased from Steam. Is this correct? If so, kindly provide us with the following information I have listed below:

• What games are you trying to launch that you are having issues with?
    • Can you try launching other games like the default Windows games? (i.e. Solitaire)
    • Are you getting any error messages when launching these games?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Please advise. we'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, May 30, 2018
  3. Add Minecraft to Steam Store

I think I understand two parts from the original request.

• It should be possible to buy Minecraft over Steam. But I can understand that this would mean a lot of legal discussions and contracts, as well as an internal conflict since Steam is essentially a competitor to the Windows Store Games section.
    • It should be possible to add the game starter to an external application. This is not possible for the Windows 10 edition of Minecraft, it only works for the Java edition.
    You could at least try to fix the second part of this request. So anyone could add Minecraft to an external application such as Steam:

Add Non-Steam Games to a Library
    . Any means to start Minecraft for Windows 10 via, say, an .exe file, could accomplish that. Sadly, Minecraft for Windows 10 uses some other "magic" to get it started, as it links to the Store (Minecraft.lnk properties shows
    Microsoft.Minecraft UWP_<something>), where UWP is short for Universal Windows App. Nice, but not very helpful for classic program starters...

Windows User 330250, May 30, 2018
Thema:

Steam non-responsive when attempting to download or add games

1. Steam non-responsive when attempting to download or add games - Similar Threads - Steam non responsive

2. How to put minecraft bederock as a non steam game ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to put minecraft bederock as a non steam game ?: I want to have all my games at the same place.So i did the trick to have access to the minecraft bederock folder but when i try to run the .exe with steam it doesnt work, and when i try to run the exe by myself it doesnt work too. Any solutions ?...
  3. Taskbar non-responsive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  4. Taskbar non-responsive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  5. BSoD when downloading steam games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSoD when downloading steam games: I have just installed a new ssd to my pc. It was working fine till i started to download my games to new disc. I am usually leaving my pc open overnight if i am downloading a big sized game. I had no issue with my old drive. I still have no issue when i directly download...
  6. windows freeze when downloading games from steam

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows freeze when downloading games from steam: hello, this problem happens only when i download games from steam. when the games start to download, it runs fine for a while, and then the computer start to lag and finally freeze stand still, even the ctrl + alt + del didn’t work, so i have to shut my pc down using the...
  7. Code: 0x8024001E When attempting to download a game

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Code: 0x8024001E When attempting to download a game: Extremely frustrated right now. I've spent most of my day on and off dealing with this to no avail. I have renamed the software distribution folder and attempted to update, and indeed I did update my system and still the issue is ongoing. It's really incredible that...
  8. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD when downloading a game in Steam

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD when downloading a game in Steam: I recently got myself a new PC, i installed Windows 10 Education with a bootable USB-Stick and downloaded and installed all the drivers. I can browse the Internet for hours and hours and nothing bad ever happens, but whenever I start a download in Steam my PC crashes and I...
  9. add games to steam store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    add games to steam store: I'd like to request that a few games be added to the Steam Store those being the Windows versions of Gears of War 1, Halo 1 and Halo 2. The steam community suggested it'd be best to contact Microsoft directly hence why I made this post....
  10. BSOD when downloading games on steam

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when downloading games on steam: I just got a new computer built and got a new monitor along with it but a problem has arose. I can use the computer but when something that required a lot of RAM or just a lot of priority to open for example "Steam" the software in which you can download games and such...