Windows 10: SteelSeries Merc

Discus and support SteelSeries Merc in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everybody, It seems that everybody owning this older keyboards or gaming fangs IdeazonSteel Series was let down by Microsoft. From what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PeteTruck, Nov 18, 2020.

1. PeteTruck Win User

SteelSeries Merc

Hello everybody,

It seems that everybody owning this older keyboards or gaming fangs IdeazonSteel Series was let down by Microsoft.

From what I read the only viable solutions are revolving around disabling digitally signed drivers. And because this solution can't disable that major security module only for this drivers but for whole future drivers on that particular machines which needs the altered drivers and catalogs of Steel Series THIS huge issue of disabling this security feature doesn't bother at all Microsoft.

So Microsoft, one reason of creating windows 10 was improved security .Right? So how come people now have to put down security modules to use their hardware on same windows 10 which was built for more security???????

Steel Series at least made their part of the effort and came up with a driver for windows 7, if that driver is not secure enough for windows 10 what is stopping you to make one? What is stopping you get rid of a security issue that will be maybe not on so many machines but it can spread over network. Right?

I have half of keyboard working atm and i'm not planing to disable digital signed drivers on my machine I rather go back to windows 7 and I will, cause is absolutely no similar keyboard to buy and I'm not going back to some crunchy useless WASD.

I spent about 6 hours try to make my Merc working as it did on windows 7. I don't want to remap my buttons or some fancy setups but both parts of the keyboard to work. So Microsoft at least the remake BASIC functionality of Keyboards that otherwise had VERY trusty drivers in windows 7 for so many years.

Are this drivers somehow prone to be exploited during gameplay? ROP Return Oriented Programming is challenge for windows 10 but all drivers are prone to this exploit and any .dll , .exe, .cpl digitally signed or not.

Sorry users of Mercs couldn't find a solution myself but Microsoft should.

:)

PeteTruck, Nov 18, 2020

2. Steelseries Merc Keyboard Problem still not fixed

The latest Windows 10 Updates Are preventing the Steelseries Merc keyboard drivers from working for a long time now.

I have spoken to many Windows Tech with the message chat system on the website and they have all told me it will be fixed but it has yet to be and steelseries won't upgrade the drivers because it's an old keyboard.

I have seen many forums with people angry about this yet still nothing from Microsoft and people don't have the money to buy new parts plus there is no other keyboards like the Steelseries Merc which has a built in gaming keypad.

So Microsoft FIX THIS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndrewGroome, Nov 18, 2020
  3. KB4034674 now KB4038788 disables Steelseries/Ideazone Merc Keyboard

The topic was addressed here; but, apparently breezed over due to a prevalent discussion.
    No Support: Steelseries refuses to update the driver. No surprise, it took them forever to release the half-baked x64 driver (Win 7 x64 signed) that we users currently work with. And, I doubt MS is going to do anything because the user base of this product is the size of a flea on a elephants ass...

Reality: Which doesn't change the fact that hundreds of users are without the full function of their keyboards(Merc Stealth) or Gamepad(MercFang). So, I come here to tenforums.com seeking the sages/gurus help.

The problem lies in a driver file Alpham164.sys which after the KB4034674 release, is now deemed unsafe. Cough.. Bullshit! It has worked for ~10 years, that is the apex of "SAFE".
    SteelSeries Merc [​IMG]

The Workaround: Currently, we users that are in the know, are uninstalling the update. However, it's cumulative and this is going to become more difficult over time.

What we need is a way to tell Windows that this file is safe. I'm pretty sure disabling driver signature enforcement, side-loading, and developer mode have all been attempted, to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

References:
    Cumulative Update KB4034674 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.540
    https://www.reddit.com/r/steelseries/comments/6suq0j/psa_windows_10_update_kb4034674_breaks_z_merc/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-d81e3c63f151

Dirtydeedz, Nov 18, 2020
  4. SteelSeries Merc

KB4034674 now KB4038788 disables Steelseries/Ideazone Merc Keyboard

I can confirm.......My Merc Stealth broke again until I uninstalled KB4038788. Microsoft needs to give us back the ability to select what updates we want. *Mad

Heavysteel, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

SteelSeries Merc

1. SteelSeries Merc - Similar Threads - SteelSeries Merc

2. SteelSeries Extention, and a random link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SteelSeries Extention, and a random link: So while I was reaserching what this SteelSeries Extention recommended update for windows was, I came across this microsoft forum question, and an anwser. Here is the link to it:...
  3. SteelSeries Extention, and a random link

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SteelSeries Extention, and a random link: So while I was reaserching what this SteelSeries Extention recommended update for windows was, I came across this microsoft forum question, and an anwser. Here is the link to it:...
  4. OneDrive SteelSeries GG Uploaded Videos Has No Discord Voice + In-game sounds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive SteelSeries GG Uploaded Videos Has No Discord Voice + In-game sounds.: I can hear my friends voice, but I cannot hear my own voice + ingame effects. This is a issue. I need help. I know someone said it is a type issue,but all VIDEOS are MP4. I need help...
  5. OneDrive SteelSeries GG Uploaded Videos Has No Discord Voice + In-game sounds.

OneDrive SteelSeries GG Uploaded Videos Has No Discord Voice + In-game sounds.: I can hear my friends voice, but I cannot hear my own voice + ingame effects. This is a issue. I need help. I know someone said it is a type issue,but all VIDEOS are MP4. I need help...
  6. BSOD wdf01000.sys when unplugging my steelseries mouse to plug it back to the dongle for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD wdf01000.sys when unplugging my steelseries mouse to plug it back to the dongle for...: below is the analyze from the minidump. im not sure how to read this. going to device manager there is nothing that needs an update or repair. it wont let me paste it all so maybe this helps https://pastebin.com/M6zrE7tK event viewer shows: The computer has rebooted from a...
  7. BSOD wdf01000.sys when unplugging my steelseries mouse to plug it back to the dongle for...

BSOD wdf01000.sys when unplugging my steelseries mouse to plug it back to the dongle for...: below is the analyze from the minidump. im not sure how to read this. going to device manager there is nothing that needs an update or repair. it wont let me paste it all so maybe this helps https://pastebin.com/M6zrE7tK event viewer shows: The computer has rebooted from a...
  8. SteelSeries Merc Stealth Keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SteelSeries Merc Stealth Keyboard: i am having trouble with my keyboard still and need some serious help with it. i see the posts about changing the names of the files or what ever they are called but i cant do it ive tried and i cant. Does someone have the right ones that will let my keyboard work right? i m...
  9. How to get "Key Sequence" macros to work? Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard ZEngine

How to get "Key Sequence" macros to work? Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard ZEngine: How to get "Key Sequence" macros to work? Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard ZEngine Got the ZEngine to work, but not "Key Sequence" macros. ex: Left side Gamepad, "Jump/Space" key In ZBrush, the Standard Brush sequence is Assigned the "B" "S" "T" combo. saved that in...
  10. KB4034674 now KB4038788 disables Steelseries/Ideazone Merc Keyboard

KB4034674 now KB4038788 disables Steelseries/Ideazone Merc Keyboard: The topic was addressed here; but, apparently breezed over due to a prevalent discussion. Hello. This KB4034674 breaks the merc stealth keyboard software and driver. Has been reported worldwide by every merc stealth "active" user (yes, we are few people). The problem is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. zboard merc drivers windows 10