Windows 10: Steps Recorder there... but not there

Discus and support Steps Recorder there... but not there in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had been reading about using a screen steps recorder and found that one is built into Windows 10. I found it but despite multiple attempts to use it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by weybrew, Aug 25, 2017.

1. weybrew Win User

Steps Recorder there... but not there

I had been reading about using a screen steps recorder and found that one is built into Windows 10. I found it but despite multiple attempts to use it, launching it does nothing. I found the program files, shortcuts, and .exe files, but using them does not turn on the program... or else it's hidden for some reason. At any rate, I am not able to use. Can anyone give me some guidance, please?

:)

weybrew, Aug 25, 2017

2. "no bootable device - please restart system" - intermittent issue after windows 10 upgrade

Thanks for offering a suggestion.

However the bios boot order had not changed, so this is not relevant.

Getting-There, Aug 25, 2017
  3. how do I uninstall McPhee and install Defender on Windows 10

New computer Windows 10 came with McPhee installed - I want to install Defender now. How do I do it please?

hi there!!!, Aug 25, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

"I found it but despite multiple attempts to use it, launching it does nothing. I found the program files, shortcuts, and .exe files"

Where? You can use the built-in Game Bar by hitting Win+G keys/'Yes this is a game' then red button. Recordings go to Videos folder but youcan change.

mrgeek, Aug 25, 2017
  5. weybrew Win User
    Thanks, mrgeek. Tried that and it worked... once... but the record control buttons were grayed out. I tried the SETTINGS button and a new screen told me I could not record on this computer. Windows 10 x64 (all updates current).

weybrew, Aug 25, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Are you trying to use this? - C:\Windows\System32\psr.exe
    [Start menu, Windows accessories, Steps recorder - but often referred to as the Problem steps recorder]

It is supposed to launch a small UI dialog and it should also be shown on the Taskbar but, from your description, this does not happen. Does anything happen at all?

Steps Recorder there... but not there [​IMG]

Denis

7. Mooly Win User
    I have been using the 'Steps Recorder' within the last couple of weeks to trouble shoot an issue with Outlook web mail and so can confirm it works correctly in W10.

Press the Windows key + r to open the run dialog box and type psr. Press enter to open.

Mooly, Aug 25, 2017
  8. weybrew Win User

Thanks to Mooly and Try3 for their replies. I have tried to start the program but nothing happens.

weybrew, Aug 25, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    Very odd. I noted in your first post that you had found the executable file and so on.

What happens if you copy and paste this into the standard search box at the bottom left. It should open immediately.

%windir%\system32\psr.exe

Mooly, Aug 25, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    I really don't know what to suggest to you.

Even though you can not see it on screen, does it show in task manager ? I wonder if it might be worth you running a system file check using :

sfc/ SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt.

Mooly, Aug 25, 2017
  11. weybrew Win User
    Task Manager does not show the program running. I have taken your suggestion and run the system file check. I am attaching the screen shot of the results. What do I do now. Can you guide me, please?

weybrew, Aug 26, 2017
  12. Mooly Win User
    Hmmm, difficult one. I've looked back at all the reports of problems with sfc and DISM (do a search on the forum for those two terms) and you will see that there seems to have a been a Windows bug related to this.

I'm wondering if your best option might be a repair install:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

I would also add that if you use disk imaging (you really should *Smile) then make a system image first and then no matter what you do you can always come back to this point in time.

I'm going to try running an SFC command for curiosity and see what happens.

Mooly, Aug 26, 2017
  13. Mooly Win User

Just tried the SFC command and it ran OK.

Mooly, Aug 26, 2017
  14. weybrew Win User
    weybrew, Aug 26, 2017
  15. Mooly Win User
    That's great *Thumbs a good catch.

You will have to do some research on the SFC issue, in fact it might be worth you starting a thread on that as there are many experienced users on here that might have some clues.

I would always recommend a system image rather than just relying on restore points. W10 has disk imaging built in or there is the ever popular Macrium Reflect free version. Personally I've used both but have come down in favour of W10's own utility (whichputs me in the minority on here) but I like it and it works well with no fuss.

Mooly, Aug 26, 2017
Thema:

1. Steps Recorder there... but not there - Similar Threads - Steps Recorder

2. Authenticity of the output of "Microsoft Problem Steps Recorder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Authenticity of the output of "Microsoft Problem Steps Recorder": Hello,As part of an ongoing lawsuit, I need to produce certain content available in public domain. However, while producing I need to ensure the authenticity of the content submitted.For that purpose, I am thinking to use "Problem Step Recorder" to generate step by step...
  3. Authenticity of the output of "Microsoft Problem Steps Recorder"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Authenticity of the output of "Microsoft Problem Steps Recorder": Hello,As part of an ongoing lawsuit, I need to produce certain content available in public domain. However, while producing I need to ensure the authenticity of the content submitted.For that purpose, I am thinking to use "Problem Step Recorder" to generate step by step...
  4. How do I use Problem Steps Recorder *.MHTML files in Microsoft Community Forums?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I use Problem Steps Recorder *.MHTML files in Microsoft Community Forums?: I spent all this time a few weeks ago using Problem Steps Recorder and couldn't upload it to Microsoft Community Forums. This makes me sad, considering I am tired of using my Hypercam or Bandicam and uploading it to YouTube to show the people trying to help me....
  5. How do I use Problem Steps Recorder *.MHTML files in Microsoft Community Forums?

How do I use Problem Steps Recorder *.MHTML files in Microsoft Community Forums?: I spent all this time a few weeks ago using Problem Steps Recorder and couldn't upload it to Microsoft Community Forums. This makes me sad, considering I am tired of using my Hypercam or Bandicam and uploading it to YouTube to show the people trying to help me....
  6. Steps Recorder App to record my local user account name for Internal Staff to verify my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steps Recorder App to record my local user account name for Internal Staff to verify my...: I also need help for Windows 10 Steps Recorder App to disclose my local user account name for Internal Staff Technical Support. Example is to record data entry information for File System Field User-Name; as-is, this is not visible Screenshot attached.Otherwise, I have to...
  7. Steps Recorder App to record my local user account name for Internal Staff to verify my...

Steps Recorder App to record my local user account name for Internal Staff to verify my...: I also need help for Windows 10 Steps Recorder App to disclose my local user account name for Internal Staff Technical Support. Example is to record data entry information for File System Field User-Name; as-is, this is not visible Screenshot attached.Otherwise, I have to...
  8. Steps Recorder App to record my local user account name for Internal Staff to verify my...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. ok I had that weird "Unknown" permission on my steps recorder!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ok I had that weird "Unknown" permission on my steps recorder!!!: Account UnknownS-1-5........... had special permissions on the Steps Recorder! How is that legal and not the sketchiest thing ever?! I'm totally freaked and not to mention highly pissed!!! Then I couldn't even remove it until I disabled inheritance so I said eff it and took...
  10. ok I had that weird "Unknown" permission on my steps recorder!!!

ok I had that weird "Unknown" permission on my steps recorder!!!: Account UnknownS-1-5........... had special permissions on the Steps Recorder! How is that legal and not the sketchiest thing ever?! I'm totally freaked and not to mention highly pissed!!! Then I couldn't even remove it until I disabled inheritance so I said eff it and took...