Windows 10: Steps taken for a clean PC

Discus and support Steps taken for a clean PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I was just wondering what steps you take to keep your PC's running smooth, fast, virus and malware free whether it is on a daily, weekly,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bruinator, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bruinator Win User

Steps taken for a clean PC

Hi Guys, I was just wondering what steps you take to keep your PC's running smooth, fast, virus and malware free whether it is on a daily, weekly, monthly to yearly basis. Please write done all steps even if it is from command line or software.

I greatly appreciate it.

thx

:)

bruinator, Jan 9, 2016
  2. [CG] Win User

Steps to perform a clean install of Windows 10 upgrade to a new SSD.

Thank-you for the descriptive and helpful answer. This will make my upgrade path smoother now knowing the steps I must take.

[CG], Jan 9, 2016
  3. Steps to perform a clean install of Windows 10 upgrade to a new SSD.

Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?

No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do
    it through
    Windows Update
    or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update
    & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started) or create a bootable copy then install on your new SSD:

How
    to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Jan 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I set my browsers to delete temporary internet files when they close. I run CCleaner about once a week to remove other temporary files. I also use Firefox browser almost exclusively with adblock plugin installed and running.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    - Run trusted programs from reputable sources, (and only ones you need)
    - Run High Performance Power, (turn off the most unnecessary processes)
    - Create clean System Images on a regular basis
    - Use your PC and Browsers with caution and common sense
    - Regular Maintenance on a regular basis

Edwin, Jan 9, 2016
  6. I have Ccleaner installed with active monitoring that cleans the disc.
    When for instant I close this forum it cleans the disc space for me and once a week it does a defrag and that keeps it running fast and no crashes or freezes

hTconeM9user, Jan 9, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1 +1

To : bruinator,
    You will find while surfing the web many sites advertising programs that will either Clean or Boost Performance of your computer.
    Most of them are "snake-oiled". Some are downright fake.
    Always post to a reliable forum such as ours and find out if those programs are reliable or even legit.
    Don't get coerced/persuaded into installing them.

davidhk, Jan 9, 2016
  8. Mooly Win User

Edwins recommend of creating system images has to be very very high on the list. Only this morning I 'needed' to experiment with 'what is out there on the web' as I wanted to burn a DVD from a BBC download. I found a program that seemed to do what was required, but it came with a catch... as they always do *Smile and which is no worry when you know trouble is ahead and can undo it all with a system image.

The posts above all make good points... however deleting temp files automatically when closing my browser is something I used to do but sadly that option does not appear to be available with Edge (W10's new browser).

For several years now, I've found that Windows own tools do a pretty good job of keeping everything in good order if used correctly. I might be in a minority here but I don't use CCleaner. Yes its comprehensive but its easy to start deleting things that just might cause a problem down the line. And I would never suggest using its registry cleaning option, its neither needed nor smart enough to know that some of keys it deletes aren't in fact required for obscure processes.

Mooly, Jan 9, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    After every install/upgrade of Windows, I run CCleaner's registry cleaning option. Maybe it isn't necessary, but it's always deleted over 100 entries that just don't point to anything and it has never had an adverse affect on my systems.

NavyLCDR, Jan 12, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Nothing at all. Windows Defender is running, and not going to risky websites in Chrome with the proper extensions used. Other than that, I have never had to deal with problems with cleaning crud out off of any Windows machines that I manage.

bro67, Jan 12, 2016
  11. Common sense is usually a good ingredient, as well as the "leave it alone" mindset. Recent Windows versions don't need to be tweaked or highly customized for best performance. CCleaner is great to run for temp files and also have doing software removals. Keep drivers updated, OS updated, and don't install a bunch of crap you don't need. I also don't like many things running at boot, so unless it is necessary, I shut down a lot of apps running in the background, like Adobe and Java auto-updaters, etc.

DeaconFrost, Jan 12, 2016
  12. I would say that Windows' native tools have become decent in Windows 7, good in Windows 8.1 and very good in Windows 10. At least my need for third party tools have become less and less, which is what I prefer myself too, believing that Microsoft knows best what is best for Windows.

Just to illustrate how good Windows' native tools are in Windows 10: my hobby computer had random freezes from accumulated junk from Technical Preview, Insider Preview, RTM, November update, etc. I did a 'Reset PC' last weekend, selecting the 'Remove everything' option (even removed the Microsoft account). My computer is now as clean as clean can be, and it is all done with Windows' native tools that came with Windows 10 inside the computer and nothing else, I was pleasantly surprised myself *Smile It made me think of a cat grooming itself *Biggrin

Of course, careful use plays a very important role too, previous postings gave good advice.

FrozenCursor, Jan 12, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

FrozenCursor there is a problem with 10, where it will freeze, because of Defender and Index, if you start with the RTM and then let it update to each preview.

I found that just loading 10586. It got rid of that problem. The RTM had some really serious issues in it.

bro67, Jan 12, 2016
  14. The complete Reset this past weekend did 10586.0 the update just a couple of hours ago 10586.63
    This hobby computer that I am typing on right now runs perfectly on old, old hardware *Cool

FrozenCursor, Jan 12, 2016
  15. tommo Win User
    Edwin And Mooly, I have created a Recovery Drive to a USB Flash drive does this need to be regularily updated?If so how often will it need to be done?

tommo, Jan 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Steps taken for a clean PC - Similar Threads - Steps taken clean

2. My camera doesnt work- I've taken all suggested steps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My camera doesnt work- I've taken all suggested steps: Hi! I recently had my laptop serviced to replace the screen at Best Buy and when the device returned my camera no longer worked. It briefly returned for a day, but it left and hasn't returned since then. I have gone through each troubleshooting measure recommended by my error...
  3. Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions: Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-of-windows-10-on-pc-running-windows/637b12df-e834-4e29-a389-7f585c3007b1
  4. Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions: Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-of-windows-10-on-pc-running-windows/637b12df-e834-4e29-a389-7f585c3007b1
  5. Clean install of Windows 10 on PC running Windows 8.1 - need step by step instructions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Computer doesn't auto-sleep regardless of troubleshooting steps taken

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer doesn't auto-sleep regardless of troubleshooting steps taken: What I've done so far: Allow computer to sleep [ATTACH] Checked power requests [ATTACH] But there is no corresponding Windows Update service (USOSvc) in Task Manager Services. [ATTACH] What else can I do? [img] 167605
  7. New PC build BSODs, taken all troubleshooting steps I could find

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New PC build BSODs, taken all troubleshooting steps I could find: I've recently just put together my first PC but I have been getting lots of crashes and BSODs. The crashes seem to come when I am playing audio or video, but that's the only connection I can see. I've spent hours researching online and troubleshooting the BSOD codes, but they...
  8. W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps

W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  9. W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps

W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  10. steps taken for infected Pc's.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    steps taken for infected Pc's.: I was hoping someone could give me a list of step by step instructions you use as a guide to clean virus, malware...etc. so I can keep my PC clean if it gets infected. thx 40829